Mask Flood in Cold Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A full mask removal is a skill I demand my adult sons practice regularly in the cold waters of Vancouver Island (43-52F). One of my sons inadvertently knocked my mask very askew causing a full and sudden cold flood. As I regularly practice this as well the shock was not a bucket of ice water in the face but rather salt water in the eyes and an exposed nose. No big deal as I knew what would happen if cold water hit my face. It is a shocking experience, every time.

I strongly encourage this regular practice, my sons cringe at 'safety dad' but I believe one day they will thank me.

Something else that should be mentioned:

If you were certed in fresh water as I was - the first time my mask flooded in SALT water I just about panicked from the pain of the salt water in my eyes. Being from central Canada, and not very well traveled I don't think I'd ever been in the ocean before at this point. It was an easy dive, so I strapped on my extra 4 pounds and off we went.

So, now the first time I hit salt water ofter a while, I do a flood and clear just to aclimate myself on the surface.

Last edited:
Something else that should be mentioned:

If you were certed in fresh water as I was - the first time my mask flooded in SALT water I just about panicked from the pain of the salt water in my eyes. Being from central Canada, and no very well traveled I don't think I'd ever been in the ocean before at this point. It was an easy dive, so I strapped on my extra 4 pounds and off we went.

So, now the first time I hit salt water ofter a while, I do a flood and clear just to aclimate myself on the surface.

Salt water doesn't bother me, but cold water also clearly doesn't bother some other people. So, yes, probably something to keep in mind for those who're used to fresh water.

I also had difficulty with cold water masking flooding/removal. During my OW cert I had a bad experience doing my mask flood in 46F degree water. I ended up gasping and inhaling a lot of water through my nose, choked on the water and couldn't stop sucking it in, then began to panic without being able to breathe..unfortunately I tried to bolt to the surface, but the instructor held my down by my shoulders and I was forced to work through it by coughing it out through my regulator and somehow eventually clearing it. I was done for that day, and didn't attempt it again for several weeks. I literally spent sleepless nights worrying about not being able to overcome the flood/removal. In 80F pool water it was a sinch, but the traumatic experience in the cold water really owned me..it was NO FUN. So, know what I did? I got a big mixing bowl out of the kitchen and filled it up with water and kept it in the fridge at 44F. I would stick my bare face in that water with a snorkel in my mouth and just breath through the numbness. I also would put my mask on and flood in in that claustrophobic bowl and clear it as best I could in that tight space, and eventually "became one" with the numbness. Let me tell you that this saved me big time!! When I went back to that god forsaken lake I cleared my mask like a champ, and when we went into the 51F jetty in saltwater with surge for my checkout dive, I took my mask off and the water actually felt mildly warm to me! Seriously, this is a case where "practice makes perfect". The person who said that our bodies react much as they would when we step into a cold shower is spot on--cold water totally does make a difference to most people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom