Mask for small nose.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are the ones we use for such a problem
Tusa Panthes ...new model 2012
Atomic Frameless
and the Aqualung Micromask

These are the ones we use for such a problem
Tusa Panthes ...new model 2012
Atomic Frameless
and the Aqualung Micromask

Okay, I ordered a Tusa Panthes from LeisurePro. It came today and my son tried equalizing with it. SUCCESS!!!!!! He can equalize with with no problem at all. Thanks for the suggestion, HD!

This is so funny. When i was teaching my 5 yr olds to freedive they had the same problem. I couldn't understand it for a while, then I realized the problem (and the solution)... You DO NOT pinch your nose to clear your ears. What I do is use 2 fingers to push the bottom of the nose pocket upward so as to block off the ends of the nostrils.

When I learned to dive there were some oval masks with no nose pocket at all. Some people even glued a piece of neoprene wetsuit on the inside on the bottom of the skirt to make the nose seal easier, but this was before silicon masks.

Just teach him to block the nostrils not pinch the nose.

BTW, I really thought this was common knowledge? If your hands are full on descent, you simply press the mask into your forearm, seal the nostril and blow... no need to use fingers or hand..

This is so funny. When i was teaching my 5 yr olds to freedive they had the same problem. I couldn't understand it for a while, then I realized the problem (and the solution)... You DO NOT pinch your nose to clear your ears. What I do is use 2 fingers to push the bottom of the nose pocket upward so as to block off the ends of the nostrils.

When I learned to dive there were some oval masks with no nose pocket at all. Some people even glued a piece of neoprene wetsuit on the inside on the bottom of the skirt to make the nose seal easier, but this was before silicon masks.

Just teach him to block the nostrils not pinch the nose.

BTW, I really thought this was common knowledge? If your hands are full on descent, you simply press the mask into your forearm, seal the nostril and blow... no need to use fingers or hand..

My first mask was one of those old ovals with no nose pocket. It had a rubber pad in the bottom and I would close my nostrils in the manner you describe. We did try this method with my son but it did not work for him. The way his nostrils are shaped prevented a good seal. But it's been solved now. The new mask works like a charm.

Try a scubapro scout mask it is great for small faces and uses a soft silicone so it is very easy to get to the nose.

I would second splitlips idea of maybe looking at free diving masks or also the aqualung micromask had worked in teh past for a student I had with the same problem, Good luck and happy bubbling : )

If his nose is small enough try a nose clip under the mask or a few pieces of band aide to build up on his nose or the inside of the mask's nose pocket...They make a band aide called 'sport bandages' that have good waterproof adhesion and come in different sizes.....The band aide is sponge-like so it shouldn't bother his nose........

Am I the only one bothered by this? How does he clear his mask with his nose clipped shut????

Glad you found a solution -- I was gong to suggest Dumster Diver's solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom