Mask Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom2004

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a problem. My girlfriend and I are now buying all of her gear. BUT we cant find a mask that fits. We've tried everything. She has a very narrow face and somehwhat oval as well. Every mask she has tried on seems to fit, but once she dives, then it leaks along her upper lip where the plastic piece that covers her nose ends and her mask floods. I dont know what to do. Thanks.

Make sure she is not over tightening it. Next, make sure she is not over tightening it.

When trying others in the store be sure to have at least a snorkel and preferably her regulator in her mouth. This is especially true given her problem area.

Tell her to quit smiling while she dives since that's almost a guaranteed leak fest.

Have you been trying shops where there were experienced folks there to assist? Sometimes that can make a huge difference.

Does she tend to exhale through her nose? If that's the case it could be aggravating things.

Pete

I will second everything spectrum has said. My wife had a very similar problem. She had a very hard time during her first couple classes because she could not find a mask that did not leak. In the end trying on dozens of masks with a friendly knowledgable female sales women got her the best fit. It still leaks when she laughs. smiles, and sometimes when taking the reg in and out of her mouth, only really a problem with training, but she has learned to deal with the minor leaks and really has fun with diving now.

Did she try the small size Atomics or the Oceanic Mini-Shadow?

She has a very narrow face and somehwhat oval as well. Every mask she has tried on seems to fit, but once she dives, then it leaks along her upper lip . I dont know what to do. Thanks.

So~ she has a small oval face, right?

My wife is Persian/Armenian. She runs the old BIC across her smacker before diving. You got those issues?

x2 on the bristly lip. Most people that have that problem are men and have rough beards.

I have a problem. My girlfriend and I are now buying all of her gear. BUT we cant find a mask that fits. We've tried everything. She has a very narrow face and somehwhat oval as well. Every mask she has tried on seems to fit, but once she dives, then it leaks along her upper lip where the plastic piece that covers her nose ends and her mask floods. I dont know what to do. Thanks.

I also had a huge problem with this - narrow face with high cheekbones. Even the mini-shadow everyone recommended did not work because of the SHAPE of my face. Ended up with a Tusa Serene - it looked big so I didn't try it at first, but the skirt is perfect for a slim, narrow face.

Back
Top Bottom