Mask strap placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear my mask on the outside, primarily because I wear a snorkel on my mask strap. I know many people that wear the mask strap inside the hood. It seems that the strap is a much more secure under the hood; I have had my mask strap peel off my head on many entries (I often do a roll entry with a scooter on my lap and gun, pole spear and net in my hands so don''t have a lot of extra appendages to hold the strap like you are supposed to)

If you are shore diving with no support, I would assume that a snorkel is a necessary safety item and I wonder how you would use one if the strap is under the hood?

If you are not tech diving, you should be able to ascend immediately to the surface if you lost the mask. Reading the spg should not be an issue, since your dive is over. If I totally lost the mask, I would hope that the buddy would be able to notice and establish physical contact and provide guidance as to the ascent rate.

If I was alone, I would use my ears (to judge ascent rate) and eyes to look at bubbles and to try to see the surface to allow an appropriate ascent...Never had to test this however.

dumpsterDiver:
I wear my mask on the outside, primarily because I wear a snorkel on my mask strap. I know many people that wear the mask strap inside the hood. It seems that the strap is a much more secure under the hood; I have had my mask strap peel off my head on many entries (I often do a roll entry with a scooter on my lap and gun, pole spear and net in my hands so don''t have a lot of extra appendages to hold the strap like you are supposed to)

If you are shore diving with no support, I would assume that a snorkel is a necessary safety item and I wonder how you would use one if the strap is under the hood?

Absolutely true, dumpsterDiver...never thought about the snorkel angle. I feel that outside is best anyway. I've noticed on T.V. (but never with anyone I've ever dived with) that many divers don't even wear snorkels. Perhaps these are the same ones who would wear the strap inside the hood.
Now, not wearing a snorkel on a dive (shore or boat entry/exit) is a whole new topic for sure.:) In fact, I'm finding breathing through my snorkel without taking a lungfull of seawater is an art in and of itself!!! I'm still experimenting, of course, with snorkel placement, too. :wink:

yeh but how do you use it without a mask strap, assuming that you have pulled it out from some pocket or strap or something?

Outside in open water, inside in caves or wrecks. It's much easier to deal with outside, but the strap buckles can be an entanglement hazard with the guideline in a silt-out.
Rick

DivetheRock:
As a side question, what would/could one do if a mask were completely lost at, say, 100 fsw? How would one read an SPG/dive comp if necessary...and I'm certain that it would be necessary.

I would donn my backup mask which I keep in a bellows pocket on my left thigh, on both my wetsuit and drysuit. I would then clear the mask, and then immediately turn the dive since I no longer have a backup mask.

DivetheRock:
Now, not wearing a snorkel on a dive (shore or boat entry/exit) is a whole new topic for sure.:)
Definitely not a new topic ...

If people take a snorkel but don't wear it, it may go into a pocket, or some people stick it under a knife strap on their leg.

Back
Top Bottom