Masks... High or Low Volume... or who cares?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob3:
I remember getting one of those gigantic 3-window masks back in the '60s. It was like having a lift bag tied on to the front of my face.
What you're calling "high volume" sounds more like a "medium" volume.

All you guys dissing my Dacor Tri-view, circa 1978 or so and still working great, are startin' to hurt my feelings...

Sheesh.

I guess my Superlight 17 would be medium volume, Bob3's Desco would be medium and a Mark V would be high volume. :D

I used a US Divers TriWindow mask for many years and liked it but I like my Cressi Big Eyes much better.

The three most important things in a mask;
fit
Fit
FIT

Used to use a high volume 3 window purge mask like your talking about. The new ones feel just like those old ones Bob. Vision was great. I used this mask for several reasons. I wore contacts and just a small amount of water in the mask could and had caused the loss of a contact during dive. The other problem was that I wear a beard and mask leaked constantly so the purge was handy. In ripping current that thing felt like a 4x8 sheet of plywood on my face and had been almost ripped off.

Today, I dive a very low volume mask with no purge. Seriously trimmed my mus. so leaking no longer a problem. Lasik took care of the contact problem. This low volume mask has every bit as good of field of vision. As mentioned earlier, with the lens so close to your eye the field widens dramatically.

As respects the volume effecting equalization. I have not experienced a difference.

chuckrt:
Snowbear,
I've tried a few lo-volume and can't seem to get one to fit either. My Seadive is getting old and am looking for another. Which one seemed to fit the best?

chuckrt
I have a narrow face, I guess. The one that fits is the Seavision 2000 (not all Seavisions work for me).
Like pipedope said - fit, fit, fit is the most important thing.

Scubapro Frameless is a great low volume mask if you have a large face--or nose. The mask is ridiculously expensive and lasts only about three years or so but is very comfortable. Sometimes you can find one on ebay for a reasonable price.

Doc Intrepid:
All you guys dissing my Dacor Tri-view, circa 1978 or so and still working great, are startin' to hurt my feelings...

Sheesh.

I still have my GIANT Dacor tri-view as a museum piece, but never use it...it's like trying to clear a 30-gallon aquarium that somebody clamped on your face...

My current mask is a Zeagle Ebon low-volume...one tiny puff of air will clear it...much better.

Originally Posted by Bob3 I remember getting one of those gigantic 3-window masks back in the '60s. It was like having a lift bag tied on to the front of my face.

Then there was the wrap around from USD that I believe they got the glass from a 60's barracuda rear window.

I guess my Superlight 17 would be medium volume, Bob3's Desco would be medium and a Mark V would be high volume
What would one of the Swindel fish tanks be?

The three most important things in a mask;
fit
Fit
FIT
There it is and the rest is just academic

Doc Intrepid:

Sheesh.

Glad to hear your lift bag....... I mean MASK, still holds air.

On a more serious note.

Getting the right fit is a matter of trying many different models, if necessary.

To narrow down the field, place the mask on your face without the strap on. Inhale slightly creating a vacuum. Hold your breath. Mask shoud stay on solid without slipping. You should be able to look down without it falling off. You can feel and hear the vacuum seal being broken as you pull it off.

Buy one from a shop that will let you try and exchange different models after trying it on a dive, if it doesn't fit. A good shop can help you select a good fitting mask.

Take a look at Rodales website for some ideas and comparisons. Just don't become fixated by any one model. Just in case it hasn't already become obvious, the best mask is the one that fits. Nothing is more frustrating then having to continually clear your mask.

When you shop for a mask.

Try the fit both with and without the snorkel in your mouth.
You want the mask to fit and not leak both with and without a snorkel or regulator in your mouth.

Check different makes and models of masks and also different model years.

When I bought my Cressi Big Eyes, the newer ones (that came with a mask box) didn't fit right and the older year model fit perfectly.
Hey, I found a nice substitute mask box at WalMart. :D

Are there any safety issues about low volume masks?

I was diving in england when i was told that low volume masks were mainly for boat crew to use. I took zero notice of this,and have yet to experience any problems with them, but i just wondered if there was any substance to what i had heard

Back
Top Bottom