Masks... High or Low Volume... or who cares?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave_1985:
Are there any safety issues about low volume masks?

I was diving in england when i was told that low volume masks were mainly for boat crew to use. I took zero notice of this,and have yet to experience any problems with them, but i just wondered if there was any substance to what i had heard

I can't imagine why they would say such a thing. (If there were some safety issue why would they use them?) Zero notice sounds like the right response.

Everybody is different so as long as it fits properly, which is the most important thing, I don't think it makes that big of a difference.

I really prefer low volume. I have a small, 2 lens type and really love it. Don't even remember who made it? Had it a looooong time (I think it's a TUSA - but fit is more important than brand). It's very comfortable, easy to clear, and has excellent visibility.

As for equalizing... with SCUBA the difference is probably negligable, but when you are free diving and you only have lung capacity to work with it can make a BIG difference.

Aloha, iG

i have never used a low volume mask before......so this question might sound silly: would the mask cause discomfort on your face from the increased pressure due to its low volmue?
thanks in advance
kenny

A low volume mask creates no more pressure on your face than does a "high" volume mask. The pressure generated by the force of water is offset in a low volume mask just as it is in any other mask - the diver exhales through the nose to equalize the pressures.

It's not the volume of the mask that generates the pressure, it's the force of the water upon it.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom