Master Scuba Diver Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like Jim said I would opt for advanced nitrox and decompression procedures which you would gain much more knowledge and confidence...

Last edited:
Jim are you implying that Underwater Naturalist doesn't improve your dive skills?

Personally I like to know what I am stepping on and killing whilst thrashing around a reef because my buoyancy sucks

Question: Is the Master Scuba a "real" course (where I actually learn new skills etc.)? If so, what is the content?

Its just an expensive bit of plastic that verifies you're rescue, 20 something+ dives including 5 specialities.
It is not a course, there is no extra content on top of the rescue/5 specs.

Or is it basically just a "title" confirming all of the requirements, but no added content? If so, why would anyone pay for this?

Its just a pointless title. As for why anyone would pay for this? Card collectors are everywhere. You get people that open their wallets revealing card after card after card when NONE are required for this dive and so on. Its an ago boost.

My advice, just go diving. If any specialities interest you in terms of course content then do those. If somehow you find 5 you are interested in then by all means do 5. I wouldn't waste money on a shiny new plastic card after that though - it earns you nothing extra. Use that money saved by going diving.

If you want a course to improve your own core dive skills and discipline an introduction technical course like Adv Nitrox/Deco Proc or of the others will teach you far more.

Jim are you implying that Underwater Naturalist doesn't improve your dive skills?

Personally I like to know what I am stepping on and killing whilst thrashing around a reef because my buoyancy sucks

:rofl3::rofl3:

When I read that off of their list of specialties many months ago I contemplated acquiring the card simply to present to dive opertors as my highest C card when traveling or just diving locally...

Naturalist and Fish ID are useful, its nice to know if whatever i stand on, kneel on or put a hand on is going to sting me of not.....

Naturalist and Fish ID are useful, its nice to know if whatever i stand on, kneel on or put a hand on is going to sting me of not.....

Nice avatar. Are you a fugitive from Interpol. :D

No. It was just below freezing with a 15mph wind and i was surface cover before my 2nd dive!

At least thats my story and im sticking to it.

...to the OP...
Adv Nitrox is a good suggestion...

...but if you want to stay on the recreational side of diving, and still "be all you can be" as a diver, you might consider doing the NAUI Master Diver, which is a totally different animal...

In my opinion, it's only for show and bravado.

Some guy whips out a "Master Scuba Diver" card and, ooooooooooooooooooooooohhh, everyone bows and genuflects . . . not.

Kinda like the guy on the dive boat who makes it a point to let everyone know that he uses the same type fins, b/c, watch or whatever that the Navy SEALS use.

If you want some meat and potatoes in a c-card, get your dive master certification.

Just my opinion . . . to which I am entitled and have the right, under the rights granted unto me by the Bill of Rights of the Constitution of the United States of America, to express in an open forum.

the K

Take classes that will advance your skill level. PADI Master Diver isn't a class at all. NAUI and SEI have Master Diver classes that are excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom