Master Scuba Diver Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget about the wall certificate "suitable for framing" and if you're lucky, the MSD backpack! Seriously, it would seem the NAUI MSD would educate you far more. I'm doing PADI DM now and there is a ton of physics, dive/decompression theory. Like any college type course, there seems to be a fairly large percentage of the knowledge that is nice to know but probably will never be used. There are a lot of components to DM, but the meat & potatoes is learning how to demonstrate skills to be able to assist instructors. If you're not into that, you can probably get the same dive knowledge with NAUI MSD or the DM academic part by just buying the books.

When I got it, I did Nav, Buoyancy,Deep, Wreck, Nitrox and a couple of other less worthy ones. I do agree it should be required that you take specialties that improve your safety first. A course like Underwater Photographer may be interesting and helpful, but other than possibly a bit of buoyancy skills, doesn't make you a better/safer diver. Pretty much the same for Naturalist, etc.

If you're not into that, you can probably get the same dive knowledge with NAUI MSD or the DM academic part by just buying the books.

Watch ebay for the books. I've picked up what I wanted on the cheap, brand new PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and Diving Knowledge Workbook for $6 as an example. I did have to look and loose auctions a lot before it happened. Actually I liked the older version better 'cause it's a book rather than a media extravaganza, the guy that wrote it must have a worse case of ADD than I do.

Most of the books are PADI, and that figures since they do a lot of business. Watch out for "shipping and handling" thats how some people make their profit.

My daughter is a SSI divemaster candidate and my light reading, mostly PADI, has kept me up on the academics so far.

Bob
------------------------
I may be old but I'm not dead yet.

Last edited:
I'm doing PADI DM now and there is a ton of physics, dive/decompression theory. Like any college type course, there seems to be a fairly large percentage of the knowledge that is nice to know but probably will never be used

The good thing about PADI DM is that it covers all of the Instructor knowledge, apart from delivery. So when you do IDC the theory is already covered

Generally the more the show the lower the quality of diver. A really good diver generally shows 1 card thats of a level that he can do the dive in question and thats it. Someone that empties out a wallet full of cards on the desk then says "I wanna go diving!" is usually awful in the water!

The number of cards presented at check-in is inversely proportional to the ability of the diver.

Last edited:
Question: Is the Master Scuba a "real" course (where I actually learn new skills etc.)? If so, what is the content?...Or is it basically just a "title" confirming all of the requirements, but no added content? If so, why would anyone pay for this? ...

As I'm sure you already know, the PADI Master Diver card is earned by satisfying all the requirements (Rescue and 5 Specialties). Then you can pay for and get your card, or not.

Will people be impressed? Possibly .... Titles of rank are impressive if they are accompanied by a nobility of spirit.

If you want some meat and potatoes in a c-card, get your dive master certification.
Hmmmmm --- Maybe not so much! If you really want "meat and potatoes" go do an intro-to-tech/Fundies/Essentials/Cavern class where you will find a whole new (and higher) level of diving.

Re the people who say that Specialties like "UW Photography" aren't beneficial -- if not it is the instructor's fault, not the class. For example, a well done UW P class should work on buoyancy control, introduce the back kick and the real bane of the uw photographer, situational awareness/buddy skills while looking at the viewfinder. I'm not saying it IS done, but it should be done!

Or is it basically just a "title" confirming all of the requirements, but no added content? If so, why would anyone pay for this?

I don't qualify to apply for it, but if I did, I would.

To me, it's a goal that would encourage me to seek additional formal training and perhaps a broader formal diving education than I otherwise might. And if I met the requirements, I'd get it.

To me, it's kind of like taking all the college classes needed for an Associates Degree, for example, then deciding that you don't need the degree for a job, and the degree itself isn't a class that teaches you anything new, and that since applying for and getting the degree might cost a fee (don't know offhand whether it does, but for this example let's say it's a $50 fee), you don't need it.

Maybe so, but I'd want it. Sometimes a personal sense of accomplishment/goal attainment and closure is worth something to someone, even if the certification doesn't convey new knowledge or skills in and of itself.

Question is, is it worth $50 to you?

Richard.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Duplicate threads merged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom