Master Scuba Diver Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey thanks a lot folks - it is really impressive how one posts a question and voila: 12 hrs later there are a ton of valuable answers and insights!

Based on your comments, I will probably get the badge, just for the fun of it, if it fits my wallet + mood...

However, much more than anything, this thread just confirmed my lingering plan to go on and do the divemaster course - and then see where it leads from there.

Thanks a lot again

Chris

Hey Folks,

I am trying to figure out if I should get the Padi Master Scuba Diver Certification, so I was wondering what you guys think...

I am currently rescue certified, but coming up to the 5 required specialites plus have the logged dives - in other words I satisfy all the requirements.

Question: Is the Master Scuba a "real" course (where I actually learn new skills etc.)? If so, what is the content?

Or is it basically just a "title" confirming all of the requirements, but no added content? If so, why would anyone pay for this?

Any insights welcome!

Thanks !

Learning how to do a bunch of things WRONG is not an improvement over learning how to do NOTHING wrong.

N

However, much more than anything, this thread just confirmed my lingering plan to go on and do the divemaster course - and then see where it leads from there.

I'd take that money you're going to spend on Master Diver and apply it to Dive Master.

Dive Master is the entry rating into the professional ranks and you'll get to learn some good stuff. For me DM was as fun as Rescue was.

When you pass and earn your DM rating you can use it or not, but then you'll only have one PADI number from then on! Assuming you do PADI.

... However, much more than anything, this thread just confirmed my lingering plan to go on and do the divemaster course - and then see where it leads from there. Thanks a lot again, Chris

You are obviously the kind of person who enjoys a challenge and likes to learn and progress. I'm glad you are going to go further in your training, and as a diver I'm glad that people like you will be joining the ranks of professional divers and trainers.

Best of luck to you!

Drunk chicks at the bar are easily impressed by the Master Scuba Diver card.

Add a big dive watch with a Zulu band and you're guaranteed to score.

You left out the "Sea Hunt" knife strapped to your leg.

I have found the watch much better in that regard. Dive cards, not so much. The women know expensive, they also know scuba divers are nerdy.

N

Hey Folks,

I am trying to figure out if I should get the Padi Master Scuba Diver Certification, so I was wondering what you guys think...

I am currently rescue certified, but coming up to the 5 required specialites plus have the logged dives - in other words I satisfy all the requirements.

Question: Is the Master Scuba a "real" course (where I actually learn new skills etc.)? If so, what is the content?

Or is it basically just a "title" confirming all of the requirements, but no added content? If so, why would anyone pay for this?

Any insights welcome!

Thanks !

Use these money for a charter, they will be better spent. That one is the best example of a "card for money". You just pay for the card. I made this mistake and now I think should have spent them differently.

Hey thanks a lot folks - it is really impressive how one posts a question and voila: 12 hrs later there are a ton of valuable answers and insights!

Based on your comments, I will probably get the badge, just for the fun of it, if it fits my wallet + mood...

Thanks a lot again

Chris

Almost everyone said it was a dumb card to get... Why not do your self a favor and take NAUI's Master Diver course, and get something out of it, or go straight on to DiveMaster?

I'm going to go against the flow and say DON'T do divemaster, unless you have a specific ambition to work in the dive industry, or to help someone teach. Although there is a lot of academic material in the DM class that you might not have seen before, it is not a class that will improve your own personal diving skills, except perhaps to hone your situational awareness.

We have far too many people who have raced through to DM, without gaining much real diving experience, and without acquiring real diving skills. I wholeheartedly agree with Peter Guy (a rarity, as anyone who knows us will agree) that you should seek out a cavern, Essentials or Fundamentals class and get your personal diving skills challenged and polished, and then do a whole bunch of diving, locally and elsewhere, if possible. Get your DM when you have enough experience and knowledge to be a good resource and role model for students.

Back
Top Bottom