Maui Boat diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nwcid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have tried doing several searches on here and the web over the past few days and not finding what I want so time to ask.

The GF and I are coming to Maui Jan 24th and staying for a week with diving being our main focus. Due to cost we plan on mostly shore diving but would like to get in a day of boat diving. We have been diving just over a year now with just over 60 dives each. We both AOW and are use to diving with lots of gear and exposure protection here in the PNW.

This trip is planned shortly after the GF is having a medical procedure done. The Dr has cleared her for diving but has an extremely limited weight lifting restriction (15lbs). The plan for shore dives is for me to pack both sets of gear down then we will just gear up in the water. We have only done 2 boat dives so far (last year in Kona), which were back to back dives.

So I have 3 questions about boat diving. First will any of the operations have a problem with her getting in the water then putting on her gear, then obviously reveres getting out?

Second with only one boat day it sounds like the Crater is the place to go. Is there some other "must see" area?

Third question is what operation might be best for our diving "style". We will be brining our own gear and we dive BP/W with long hose set up. We would like a "guide" but don't feel like we need our hands held though the dive though. I have been reading quite a bit about Ed Robinson and seems like it might be good as they sound like they do what we are looking for. Problem is it sounds like they go cool places other then the Crater and we would hate to miss that while we are there.

I know I said boat diving at the top but quick shore question also. I see there are a couple of plane wrecks, are any of them reachable as a shore dive?

The weight restriction limits you somewhat. For example the Molokini Backwall could be a live drop when you get there - often they don't know until you do. Also some dives are at the end of the crater so conditions can be a little rougher. Same thing with the Cathedrals at Lanai - Once I had to time the boat ladder to safely scramble up with full gear - it was calm when we left but pitching bad on our return. Even the DM's thought somebody was going to get hit by the ladder. By the time everybody re-boarded, people were sick. Shark Fin might be an option in that area - they moor inside of the rock close to Lanai - IIRC it was pretty calm. And one of the better dives we did there.

IDK if it would be better/worse for your gf but there's also an operator with a big Zodiac. It has a steel ladder but is probably a rougher ride. I'm thinking it would be easier to gear up with something to hold onto? IDK whose boat it is but I've seen it around Lanai so likely a West Maui operator.

Is it only a lifting restriction? Because some of the Kihei boats are smaller and take a pounding coming back when the tradewinds pickup. It's why most of them leave around 6AM. Lahaina Divers has the biggest boats - also nice wide swim steps - not counting the Pride of Maui which is primarily a snorkel boat with diving. The Pride moors inside the protected area of the crater but it's a shallower so/so dive.

One of our group is older with back trouble. She sits on the swim step and has her gear brought to her, straps in, then sort of front rolls while they push her far enough off the back for her tank to clear.

Wailea Beach, Polo Beach, Old Airport Beach and Sheraton Black Rock are all easy off-the-beach entries. Except for the Sheraton all have either close parking or a gear drop-off point near the beach. The Black Rock entry point is a pretty good hike from where you have to park. I think Kapalua Bay is also an easy entry but I've never dove there.

At a few of the other sites - this is a true statement:
for me to pack both sets of gear down
This gives an idea of the entries/distances for each site: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

"This trip is planned shortly after the GF is having a medical procedure done. The Dr has cleared her for diving but has an extremely limited weight lifting restriction (15lbs)."

I'd rather give great referrals but...

This sounds unusual. Please check with DAN, Diver's Alert Network, about their recommendations considering the medical procedure she will have shortly before your trip. Even if you do not carry their insurance, (IMHO, it would be very wise to do so) you can call their information line and discuss her medical procedure and your dive plan to see if highly trained Dive Medicine professionals have any suggestions for you.

If there are weight limitations due to skeletal, muscular, tissue recovery, most knowledgeable diving doctors would recognize that, though the gravitational load is lessened when a diver enters the water, the dynamic forces of surge, unsure and changing footing, drag of undertow or rip currents etc can do as much harm as "weight" not to mention the impact of pressure at depth on the circulatory system and absorption of any medications. The aforementioned shore conditions are common on Maui shore dives, particularly in this season. In addition, most procedures in their healing stages may make one more prone to DCI.

It is wonderful that you two have discussed this with her physician as you should. However, too often folks learn in retrospect that most physicians do not have training in diving medicine and therefore the physician's "clearance to dive" can be more hazardous than helpful.

Finally, keep in mind that when you are evaluating a divers physical preparedness to dive it needs to be evaluated in relation to his/her own safety AND the safety of his/her buddy or any other divers that may be accompanying him/her on the dive. The buddy may encounter a situation that requires help of the "impaired" diver, the dive leader may have to make a choice to assist if the "impaired" diver is not able to-leaving the rest of the group to act as the "impaired" diver's buddy. None of us want to anticipate accidents and incidents but by reading a thread by that name in this forum you can see that if we don't anticipate them and plan and act accordingly a diving situation can turn bad quickly.

Sadly, even putting all those safety concerns aside, of course, there is the ugliness of liability. If a diver needs special accomodation due to a temporary impairment to execute the basic activities of diving ie entering and exiting the water, the judgement of any operator that allows this diver to dive could be called into question in court regardless of the physicians's clearance. If a diver cannot perform these basic skills there is a reasonable expectation that the diver likely would not be able to perform a self rescue if it were needed.

I know I have rained on your parade but I hope that you will investigate this further and ensure that diving is safe for both of you and others you may join. I wish you the best for your visit to Maui and hope that if not this time, you will dive safely and adventurously soon.

Last edited:
Steve I have been reading that site heavily, thanks.

Bug all solid points. I guess I did not think much of the entry because from what I have read this the same basic method that side mount divers use to get in and out. Also I read many boat loading procedures require removing gear, there is a topic going about it right now also. Since we have limited boat diving experience I thought I would ask. I will contact DAN. The procedure is muscular and says for most is a recovery period of less then a week, this is 2 weeks after. Meds will be done by the time we arrive.

I think Steve really hit the nail on the head regarding the limitation of not being able to board a boat with full gear in potentially rough seas. I can't count the number of times I've hit the water in flat, lake-like conditions, only to come back in an hour to rolling, wind driven waves in Maui. Unfortunately nobody can predict the trade winds.

Although Ed Robinson's is our preferred operator, I'd say with your GF's limitations, they might not be a good match due to the amount of live boat diving they do. You might want to pick an operator that either caters more to the beginning diver, or one that moors/anchors most of the time. Lahaina Divers to Molokini would be a good option, but not their trip to Lanai due to unpredictable surface conditions IMO.

I'd also check with Dive & Sea (out of Kihei). The owner is the captain, so you can not only speak with him prior to booking, but he'll be on the boat, giving you a measure of assurance that he'll follow through with his promises. John (the owner) also only takes 6 divers and seems to prefer to moor or anchor the boat, so that could bode well for you. He really prides himself on his customer service, and we felt very well taken care of and listened to on his boat.

Steve also lists some nice shore diving sites, though I'm going to add Makena Landing and Ulua as great spots with easy entries and parking. Both are in S. Maui (Kihei/Wailea area), but you'd definitely want to be getting to both early as the parking lots fill quickly.

Also, don't forget to rent a dive flag. The Department of Land and Natural Resources regularly sweeps though popular dive sites and checks for flags. You definitely don't need a ticket on vacation, or a spoiled day of diving due to something as small as not having a flag. I've never seen a diver tow a flag around on Maui, they typically tie them off to a rock toward the start of their dive and retrieve them upon exit.

One great reason to do a boat dive is for the whale watching! If you've never been to Hawaii during whale season, the show the whales put on can be simply spectacular. It's a surface interval like none you've ever had. You'll also likely hear the whales singing while you're diving, which is often amplified close to shore as the sound bounces off the island.

Lest you think you've whale watched before because you're from WA, believe me, the whale watching in Maui is nothing like it is on the coasts of Oregon and Washington. I've had a lot of people tell me they've been whale watching in the Pacific Northwest only to be blown away when they get back from being out on a boat in Hawaii.

I guess I missed the update to this post for a couple of days.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I have some calling around to do tomorrow and see what we can find out.

While we are from WA we are from the dry side of the state and have never been whale watching so it will be fun. This being only our second trip to warm water will also be quite fun.

Another vote for Dive and Sea. Lovely boat, lovely folks and a laid back atmosphere. John and Emi will certainly look after you.

Hey Nwcid, My wife and I will also be in Maui 1/17 - 31, and she isn't a diver. I have been to Maui 4 times and dove it last in 2006. Anyway, I am looking for a dive buddy for some shore dives, and will be doing Molokini at least 2 times. If you are interested in doing some dives together please let me know. (FYI, we are originally from Seattle, now living in So Cal).

Sorry I'm late to reply... maybe I can be a help to others! 1. EVERY dive operation will allow you to put your gear on in the water. I am a captain for Maui Dive Shop, and we get this request all the time. 2.Molokini Crater is beautiful, but is far from the best diving Maui has to offer... Think about diving Lanai, or Lahaina Divers has the Hammerhead Dive (better in the summer), Maui Dive Shops Manta Ray Dive, etc. Also, perhaps the Backwall of Molokini is of interest...? 3.I can only speak for Maui Dive Shop, and I'm sure this is similar with most shops, but no instructor WANTS to hold your hand. As an instructor, myself, all we as is that you listen to what we have to say in the briefing and be safe. In Maui EVERY COMPANY puts guides in the water with their divers, it's not like Florida and other parts of the world... So yes, as a competent diver, you should have no problem if you can listen and adhere to a few basic rules... (normally: don't leave the group, don't go deeper than the guide, and let the guide LEAD the dive)

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom