Maui Photography Friendly Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed at the Kaanapali Beach Club Resort the first time I went to Maui, about 5 years ago, when it was still the Embassy Resort. Located on the north end of Kaanapali Beach, it was a great room and property, but snorkeling and diving is much better to the south at Black Rock (where the Sheraton is). The reef at KBCR does have fish and the occasional turtle, but nowhere close to what you find at the Black Rock reef. Another issue I saw at KBCR is that when it rained the water at the resort turned reddish brown. It turns out that the runoff from land, carrying dirt and silt, flows into the ocean just north of KBCR. It lasts for a day or more each time. This doesn't happen to the south.

I can't say enough about Black Rock - you want to dive it both during the day and at night if at all possible. I saw octopus and squid on the prowl during the night dive, as well as 2 moray eels in an apparent mating ritual. All really good.

A couple of tips that I'd like to pass on -

1) Tank and weight rentals - Maui Dive Shop at Whalers Village no longer rents tanks. Since the dive instructors at the Sheraton where I stayed (5 Star Divers) aren't allowed to rent tanks outside of their instruction or guided dives, I found the nearest tank rental to be Maui Dive Shop in Lahaina. It seems like a poor decision to stop tank rentals at the Whalers Village shop but one has to assume it was based on economics somehow.

2) Night Dive at Black Rock - I arranged mine through 5 Star at the Sheraton; it was fantastic but I feel like I was lucky. 5 Star requires at least 2 divers for them to guide the dive, and as I am the only diver in my family I kept my fingers crossed that someone else would also call them to set up a night dive. This did happen, but it was the day before when I finally got the call. I think it would be worth talking to the folks at Maui Dive Shop to look for all options for a guided night dive at Black Rock. I also had called Shaka Doug but he isn't allowed to operate at Black Rock and does guided night dives down by Kihei instead. I'm sure those are great dives also but I really wanted to see Black Rock at night.

3) I did a 2 tank boat dive off of Lanai with Extended Horizons, first dive at No Name Paradise and second one at Cathedrals II. They did a great job overall and I would recommend them without hesitation. One thing I liked was they left from Lahaina, so I didn't have to drive as far (or get up as early!) in the morning.

4) For a great breakfast deal, go to the Gazebo restaurant at Napili Shores. Go early or expect to wait in line for 45 - 60 minutes, but if the line is long it is still worth the wait. A great breakfast at a quarter of the price at the big resorts, overlooking Napili bay plus free coffee while you wait.

5) For entertainment, catch the Kupahana magic show at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel, which is next to the Sheraton. It is a great, Vegas-level magic show done in a family-friendly manner and it comes with a good meal. An excellent deal and great show. Better than the Cirque Polynesia show at the Hyatt, although that one is pretty good also.

I hope some of this helps. Kaanapali Beach is a great place to visit, I know you'll have a great time.

Barry

Last edited:
4) For a great breakfast deal, go to the Gazebo restaurant at Napili Shores. Go early or expect to wait in line for 45 - 60 minutes, but if the line is long it is still worth the wait. A great breakfast at a quarter of the price at the big resorts, overlooking Napili bay plus free coffee while you wait.

Now you're giving away secrets! :eyebrow: Mac Nut Pancakes and Fried Rice can't be beat!

I'll throw out Honolua Bay as a good place for photos. We did two sets of shore dives there and there was all sorts of neat stuff. Not really fun having to bring the tanks down the hill though haha. Next trip out we'll have to hit up black rock. We did 3 sets of boat dives with Lahaina divers as well and we're impressed with their service. Did Lanai, Molokini, Turtle Reef and Mala Pier.

I'll throw out Honolua Bay as a good place for photos. We did two sets of shore dives there and there was all sorts of neat stuff. Not really fun having to bring the tanks down the hill though haha. Next trip out we'll have to hit up black rock. We did 3 sets of boat dives with Lahaina divers as well and we're impressed with their service. Did Lanai, Molokini, Turtle Reef and Mala Pier.
We also did 2 dives at Honolua Bay. We first walked down and talked to the local Hawaiian man that lives there and asked politely if we could possibly drive down with our tanks and gear for a couple of dives. He said no problem just park out of the way about 50 yards from the water. This was great as we were not that keen hiking up and down with our gear. Our parking spot was in the shade too which was awesome. Did 2 dives one right side and 1 left. Right side definately was better. Lots of eels, turtles, a big scorpionfish, and bigger reef fish as is is a marine reserve. We tried to give the man a "donation" directly but he just told us to put it in the donation box where all the other visitors put theirs. Would have probably only done 1 dive had we not been able to drive down by the water. 80 and 108 min dives there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom