Votes: 26 12.5%
  • Equal to or less than 160'

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • 170 +

Votes: 40 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I would dive to now on air would be 130 or less, however that is only if I don't have any of my Nitrox tanks full and there was a real need for me to go that deep on air.
In my much younger and more foolish days I have dove to 170 on air.

Depends on the dive.

In calm seas when I am well rested and at a site I know well, I am comfortable going to 150-160 with the right gear (double everything... tanks, regs, masks...). If with a buddy then my limit is 100 unless I know them very well.

120 fsw on air is my limit. I've been deeper on air before, but probably wouldn't do it again.

On air max depth has been 115 ft. Usually, no more than 100ft. I figure it takes a lot of effort to go diving, so I should try and extended my dives out for as long as possible. Going deep cuts my bottom time in 1/2.

I routinely go to 150' on air but then I dive a lot and I work down to that depth at the beginning of the season.

I think a lot of recent experience at progressively deeper depths on air helps with your ability to function effectively at fairly deep depths on air.

First dive of the season is usally 80' to 100' and then I work down from there on successive dives over 2-3 weeks.

I've been to 134' and I think that's about my limit.

I dove to 148 (yeah, I know) because we were going to see three sunken Sherman battle tanks from WWII off the coast of Luzon in the Philippines for the deep dive in the AOW course. Nine minutes, and a nice longer than "needed" decompression stop for safety's sake.

I have no desire to do that again, though. It feels pretty much the same at 130 as it does at 30, but the light's better and you get more time the shallower you dive. I'd have preferred it if the tanks were at 60 feet, frankly.

Well anymore I feel pretty easy at 100, I have been deeper so to speek on air because we didnt mix gases then. I remember one dive I did with a couple of buddies, it was deep enough that the DM of the deck asked if had seen God, and if so what did she have to say. That was at San Clemente Island and I havnt been that deep again, and yes the DM was a gal.
Bill........dive Safe-yea right

I'd love to explore deeper, but wouldn't do it without proper trimix training and especially gear, which costs $$$'s I obviously don't have right now (nor will have for the next few years I'm afraid) :-(

I just got Nitrox certified last year and deepest I've been is 105 on a 32% mix. That's stuff works wonders as far as bottom time is concerned.

I have been doing a lot of dives at 150 feet this summer (deco procedures and entry level trimix) I know that some dives that I have been narced out of my gourd and others it's been OK..... Why?..... because I guess they want to see how we react to deep "air" before we start our trimix class.
Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom