Why is my computer pinging at me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A reasonable wave going over top can also set off alarms on some computers that are very sensitive to depth changes.

Afternoon chaps 🌞

Basic question coming ❓

I have a brand new Cressi Leonardo dive computer which I used for the first time last week.
Saltwater shore dive max depth 6m.

I kept hearing a little "ping" every now and then and I convinced myself that it was coming from my wrist.
Why would the comp keep pinging like that?
It wasn't continuous, I would say roughly every 5-10 minutes.

Thanks 👍
To elaborate on @tursiops' concise and eloquent acronym, all this is covered in the manual under the topic of alarm settings/parameters including how to shut the bells, whistles and chimes off altogether.

So you know, the only thing more annoying than your own computer manically pinging away is when someone else's computer is doing it...

To elaborate on @tursiops' concise and eloquent acronym, all this is covered in the manual under the topic of alarm settings/parameters including how to shut the bells, whistles and chimes off altogether.

So you know, the only thing more annoying than your own computer manically pinging away is when someone else's computer is doing it...
One unanticipated advantage of getting older -- and the consequent loss of high-frequency hearing -- is I cannot hear my computer (or anyone else's) beep underwater. The only way I know mine is beeping is if I look up and around and see everybody staring at me.
Thank heavens for computers that vibrate.

Sorry, but I don't understand. How can you have a rapid ascent rate warning every 5-10 minutes if your max depth on the dive is 6m? If this was the case, then you must have been going up and down like a yo-yo or am I missing something? (as usual)
Tbh I was likely going up and down like a yoyo.
It was my first salt water drive ever, and in a drysuit that I had only used once before in a pool. As indicated above, I had no idea that the buoyancy would be SO different in salt water.
I gained better control of my buoyancy as the dive progressed but yes, that was probably the reason.

A little too much arm swimming?
It used to be a great annoyance to me that after a dive my entry level computer always showed that I exceeded proper ascent rates. Then I bought a nitrox version of the same computer. The entry level computer stays in my bc pocket as a backup. Guess, what. The ascent rate on the computer in my pocket is always fine now.

It used to be a great annoyance to me that after a dive my entry level computer always showed that I exceeded proper ascent rates. Then I bought a nitrox version of the same computer. The entry level computer stays in my bc pocket as a backup. Guess, what. The ascent rate on the computer in my pocket is always fine now.

Getting Leo to stop beeping is pretty easy: when you want to dump air from the corrugated hose, don't inhale and raise your hand at the same time. If you wear it on your left wrist, that is.

Back in the day we were taught to ascend vertically with a hand above our head, so there's that :).

@dmaziuk what you describe can be the issue but mine is more from the habit of raising my hand to check the ascent rate as I start to swim up and over something. My ascents are fairly horizontal now. Anyway, my point is that computers can be pretty sensitive and quick to flash an ascent warning.

Back
Top Bottom