...Maybe I should go with a Zeagle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will have to talk to the more local dive shop and see if he is looking at carrying their stuff. If not:
Why don't you just buy from somewhere like Scuba Toys where you'll get a way better price and, it seems, at least as good support?

evad:
I will have to talk to the more local dive shop and see if he is looking at carrying their stuff. If not:
Why don't you just buy from somewhere like Scuba Toys where you'll get a way better price and, it seems, at least as good support?

I neve was to keen on buying on-line, even if I have talked to the guy on here, and he's helped me out. I try to keep things as local as I can. I think alot of it comes from own a business with my family locally. But it also helps when you buy from someone in terms of getting it worked on, and I know the owner in savannah well. The prices are within shipping cost of one another, so price doesn't concern me - some of the things here are even cheaper in fact. Overall service from a local shop, and service from a place on-line has never even been close. Not to mention I can get loaners easy as pie, and at no cost if something does mess up. I want the shops to stay around too.

Next time I'm in Texas though, I do plan on going to Scubapros shop :)

Will

metaldector:
and they breath very easily. As Simbrooks says, they do get a little wet in an inverted position, but never drastically. Zeagle's are made in Florida and have a very good service program with dealers. My 2 cents.

Being made in FLA is a nice perk, not to far to ship and im sure that means there are a good bit of shops around that area. I try to make it down there as much as I can to swin in the nice, clear water.

I don't invert to much, maybe for when I start taking pictures, but untill then not to much.

Will

UltimateMonky:
I neve was to keen on buying on-line, even if I have talked to the guy on here, and he's helped me out. I try to keep things as local as I can. I think alot of it comes from own a business with my family locally. But it also helps when you buy from someone in terms of getting it worked on, and I know the owner in savannah well. The prices are within shipping cost of one another, so price doesn't concern me - some of the things here are even cheaper in fact. Overall service from a local shop, and service from a place on-line has never even been close. Not to mention I can get loaners easy as pie, and at no cost if something does mess up. I want the shops to stay around too.

Next time I'm in Texas though, I do plan on going to Scubapros shop :)

Will

I feel the same way. If you can get the deal and be able to hold the thing in your hands, then 50 miles is a nice drive in the country.

evad:
I feel the same way. If you can get the deal and be able to hold the thing in your hands, then 50 miles is a nice drive in the country.

Has the benefit of giving me a reason to dive off the coast right after too :) "Hey, I'm already here - might as well go for a nice dive"

I think I just want to find ways to dive, tricking myself if need be.

UltimateMonky:
Has the benefit of giving me a reason to dive off the coast right after too :) "Hey, I'm already here - might as well go for a nice dive"

I think I just want to find ways to dive, tricking myself if need be.

What's not to love about it?

James Goddard:
Sherwood vs. Cressi? I didn't see the post, but I'll make a couple of car comparisons:

Sherwood==Yugo
Cressi==Ferrari

let me explain.

I've dove a Genesis reg for quite some time. (Genesis == Sherwood, i.e. they are the same company). I thought is was ok until I compared it. These are cheap regs that are fairly reliable, but I wouldn't pull out into heavy traffic with one :D

Now I've never dove a Cressi reg, so why did I compare it to a Ferrari? Well because you have just about as easy luck finding parts/service in the US. I don't know where you live (i.e. it's not in your profile) but if you're in the US finding Cressi dealers is few and far between.

I think you need to take a step back again. So far we've compared a low end cheapo reg to a reg that rarely gets imported. Now you are throwing Zeagles into the mix. Zeagle used to be the US distrib for Apex, now they are not.

Rather than ask should I get a brand a, brand b, brand c, brand d reg, I think you should be asking: I'm going to be doing x number of dives a year in y conditions, and I want to spend z on a regulator, what should I get.

James

First let me say that I think that you need to alot closeer look at sherwood regulator and disocver that they are nothing like your genesis. Although the companies are related, it ends there. They ahve absolutely nothing in common. Next a sherwood is nothing like a Yugo. And I will tell you straight up I have no idea what the heck a Yugo is, but I know that I would most definetely pull out into traffic with a sherwood. They are reliable, workhorses, and good performers for anything within the recreational diving spectrum.
As for the Zeagle, why criticize a broadening perspective? Who cares who distributes them. Or who they distribute. They are based on the Apeks design, but now have some unique characteristics. They are awesome regs and very popular inthe Southeast states. Nothing wrong with them at all. Actually they are a great reg.

I think that it is best to lighten up on a guy trying to make a decision on regs and not criticize his new found impressions on things.

I did a little test yesterday. 1st tried my Apeks ATX 200. Awesome! Great in all positions. Light weight, easy breather. Then tried my Zeagle flathead VI. Almost identical. Couldn't tell any diff in ease of breathing. Not quite as good when gliding on my back looking up at the surface. Then used my back up Dacor viper. Liked the side vent. Breathing seemed a tiny bit harder than the others. Not great while inverted or on my back looking at the surface.
Final thoughts? I liked Apeks best because of the comfo bite mouthpiece, but it is the most expensive.
I would buy the Zeagle set up from scubatoys for the price and convenience.
The Viper was part of my original dive gear package. Its perfectly good for warm water, and its pretty bomb proof.
The best value/satisfaction/sealed/no hassle reg? Zeagle.
My favorite is my Apeks ATX 200, but then again, you should see my ride!

I have a DS-V/ZX and when the second stage is adjusted wide open it free flows easily. No problem just crank it down a bit.

I have not spent much time upside down with it, so can not comment on that. It breaths easily, and dry. It's a better breather than the Atomic that our LDS uses for rental (can't remember which model, mid line) which I have dove, and was also good.

Nice reg, and should last me a very long time. Made in the USA is a bonus for me as I try to support that.

Ron

simbrooks:
I bought the DS-V/ZX combo and recently added another 1st stage due to my doubles. The regs breath great in almost every position, upside down is ok for a while, but not wonderful. The envoy octo (looks like the ZX without the adjuster) breathes a bit wetter than the ZX for some reason, but its only a backup (safe second for me). I have noticed that if you crank the knob out on the adjustment it will freeflow when not in your mouth, so i have dialed mine in a bit. I also tried the TX50 set up from Apeks, it was pretty much identical in feel. The other regs i tried before i bought the Zeagles were mostly Sherwood and Genesis, not sure if i tried any others - but these werent all that hot and were a particular pain at depth to breathe from. I hear good things about the Aqualungs, mostly as they are built off the Apeks base and due to import/exchange rates along with competative pricing, they are cheaper than Apeks for the same stuff, which is a shame that they are selling them that way (ie hiking the Apeks price to sell their own). I have heard good things about the piston types out there, SP and Atomic amongst others, BUT you have to buy the environmental kit which i hear/saw was an oil/gel based goo and of course the piston might stick if you get crud in there - i hear people shying away when dirty or cold water is mentioned, but have no experience diving one in those conditions.

Zeagle ZX and XP adjustable second stages can be set barely past the egde of a tiny freeflow or just shy of it. That's the beauty of an adjustable cracking effort regulator as opposed to a fixed setting like in our Envoy. Many manufacturers and techs wisely de-tune regulators by quite a bit to be sure the customer doesn't complain of a freeflowing regulator. If wanting to change the setting, I'd recommend getting an new seat so you know you're starting fresh for maximum seat life.

Chad

(Just for the record every regulator test result I could find said Zeagle second stages are rated highly as dry breathers, even inverted. BTW they all have the exact same case and exhaust valves.)

Back
Top Bottom