Miami Airport is A Mess

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sub - Re MIAmi All I can say is Bueno Suerto. Please post your experiences... Where you diving? You a regular in Curacao? I am going in November for 2 lovely weeks.

I have never been to Curacao (looking forward to going though). I've been to Bonaire a few times though did Chicago to PR then to Bonaire on that flight if I remember correctly.

I used miles for this flight so the choices where pretty limited.

Sure Like continental through Houstan better.

I have never been to Curacao (looking forward to going though). I've been to Bonaire a few times though did Chicago to PR then to Bonaire on that flight if I remember correctly.

I used miles for this flight so the choices where pretty limited.

Sure Like continental through Houstan better.
Do you usually fly ORD or MDW? I try to avoid ORD but it looks like the next trip will have to be through there...flying out of IND insures the hell that is ATL.

I've never had a really BAD experience flying out of MIA (and I've flown out of there literally hundreds of times), but I have certainly had much better experiences elsewhere. Now I fly in and out of Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) and it is always a pleasant experience. I usually fly Spirit Air (spiritair.com) because it is very cheap and Ft. Lauderdale is their gateway to the Caribbean. They fly at very inconvenient times (usually late night), but that means the airport is not crowded and customs and immigration is a breeze. Spirit flies to many countries in the Caribbean, and the last two times I've flown from Panama City, Panama to Ft. Lauderdale I paid under $100 roundtrip! If you have not checked them out, I recommend at least looking at their web site. If you join their $9 fare club ($39/year), you can get some incredible deals to Caribbean destinations.

Oh Man I have to go through there on Thursday on the way to Curacao. An hour and 10 minutes on the way down and 4 hours are the way back. I guess I'll need the 4 hours on the way back for customs and Imagration etc....Are there any good Resteraunts there or just stick to McDonalds where I'll have low expectations to start.

If you're flying American and are inside the gates, go to around Gates D43-44 and try Cafe Versailles for a great Cuban sandwich - they also have other sandwiches and a variety of Cuban goodies. There's also a pizza joint next to it.

If outside of the gates area, there are ample choices as long as you don't mind walking thru the long concourse. I happen to like La Carreta for a sit down Cuban meal and they also have basically the same sandwiches. It's at either Terminal C or D, but don't quote me on that.

I realize that my suggestions have a decidedly Cuban slant, but the food is good and tasty and I've never gotten sick in 10 years of traveling thru Miami on the way to dive destinations. I figure I can get McDonald's and BK anytime at home.

Good luck and have a nice trip.

We have avoided Miami for years. No one has even mentioned the horrible construction that caused you to walk back corridors for miles to get to your gate. Houston, DFW and Atlanta are such better options and have such great transportation between the gates. If you must go through Miami, there is a Chilis that has pre-packaged food that is not too bad. We just couldn't handle the fact that no one spoke English. One time we almost had an international incident because the TSA folks didn't know what a regulator was. I think they thought we had bombs or something.

On my next trip to Key West I'm thinking about trying to get routed through Tampa...anyone used that one, how is it??

I just happen to be sitting in Tampa. Really nice airport Free Wireless internet.

Do you usually fly ORD or MDW? I try to avoid ORD but it looks like the next trip will have to be through there...flying out of IND insures the hell that is ATL.

Usually ORD Park and Fly at the Rosemont Residence inn.

This trip out of STL on American with miles to Curacao. STL-Tampa-Mia :shakehead:

Yes, luggage claim is ridiculous. Let's all stand all around the carousel so no one else can get to it, then after we get our bag, we just stay and BS.

Do not if at all possible go through Miami airport, this is the the airport that I somehow had two regulators plus other items taken out of my dive bag. I have proceeded to try all other possible routes. This year we are using FLL, last year it was Hawaii so no problemo, the year previous was Tampa. Why do we have to have a dirty, non-english speaking American airport?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom