Miflex hoses. Anyone used them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow everyone who said these are good is a sucker to false marketing you want one of these hoses? take a cheaper normal hose and cut the protective rubber coating off BANG you got a miflex hose they are garbage if you are worried that much about a small amount of weight thats pretty sad. as for being more flexable the only reason you would need that is if you were not using correct hose lengths

I disagree. I have miflex hoses on my primary, secondary and inflator, and like them

Have you tried them yourself?

Correct hose lengths with standard hoses still give you a tug on the second stage - I've dived with 5' and 7' hoses on my primary (HOG rig behind the neck). You don't get that tug with miflex hoses

I don't think your comment about "cut the protective rubber coating off BANG you got a miflex hose" is accurate as the miflex hoses have a woven outer sheath - I don't know for sure but I'm not cutting up a standard hose to find out

Miflex are lighter and easier to pack. Is that a big deal? Maybe not, but it's a positive for we people who fly to dive sites

Personally I wouldn't buy a standard hose again, unless I find out something that I don't know yet, and I am looking forward to miflex bringing out a HP hose

As far as I'm concerned, the extra cost is justified by the benefits listed above

Oh, and they look cool too :)

Does anyone know if any dealer stocks a 7' with 1/2" connections?

/J

They do come in 7' length - not sure about the fitting size though, except that they fit my XTX Apeks regs

AFAIK they only come in one fitting size - I brought mine from leisurepro.com, and they don't offer a choice

wow everyone who said these are good is a sucker to false marketing you want one of these hoses? take a cheaper normal hose and cut the protective rubber coating off BANG you got a miflex hose they are garbage if you are worried that much about a small amount of weight thats pretty sad. as for being more flexable the only reason you would need that is if you were not using correct hose lengths

Dear oh dear.

If ever I have seen an uninformed antagonistic comment, there it is.

There is a mechanical reason that the MiFlex hoses are likely to be preferred, and this is due to their flexibility.

I think you'll find that if you 'cut the protective rubber coating off' (whatever that means) from a normal hose, you will not end up with a Miflex - if you did how does this explain the fact that the MiFlex has a burst pressure significantly higher than a standard hose? Perhaps this is 'magic marketing'.

Then of course, there are all the positive glowing reviews strewn across this great forum.

I had one fitted to my reg yesterday. I'm very much looking forward to trying in the not-too-distant when I am in the Caribbean. (And yes, any weight saving no matter how small is a bonus, as I will be travelling by AIRCRAFT).

Oh, and they do indeed look cool.

C.

I agree with Chipstix .. uninformed and ill spoken

Dear oh dear.

If ever I have seen an uninformed antagonistic comment, there it is.

There is a mechanical reason that the MiFlex hoses are likely to be preferred, and this is due to their flexibility.

I think you'll find that if you 'cut the protective rubber coating off' (whatever that means) from a normal hose, you will not end up with a Miflex - if you did how does this explain the fact that the MiFlex has a burst pressure significantly higher than a standard hose? Perhaps this is 'magic marketing'.
Then of course, there are all the positive glowing reviews strewn across this great forum.

I had one fitted to my reg yesterday. I'm very much looking forward to trying in the not-too-distant when I am in the Caribbean. (And yes, any weight saving no matter how small is a bonus, as I will be travelling by AIRCRAFT).

Oh, and they do indeed look cool.

C.

That is correct. I have seen hoses were the outer cover has been removed and in the past there have been Scuba hoses that did not fashion an outer cover. Not all constructions are the same.

Most pressure hoses have a braided fiber shell that provides the primary structural integrity to the hose. Some may have more that one layer, the material of the layer or layers can vary, the weave can also be very different from one to the next. Assuming that all hoses are created equal just shows a basic lack of knowledge on the subject.

As a user most hoses may look close to the same, but the manufacturing process, material selection, etc. makes a lot of difference. There are engineers that have spent a good chunk of their life designing pressure hoses for many applications.

Marketing often does exaggerate and distorts the facts, but believing that everything is the same is as naive as believing everything that marketing puts out.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom