Miflex vs Phantom Double Braided Kevlar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I like the thin Miflex HP hose, because it's low profile, except I read some reports of them blowing out.

adam

I read that problem has been sorted out, and it was claimed that the problem batch had only handful of complaint about it leaking. HP hose doesn't blow up, it leaks slowly. It's the LP hose that will reduce your full tank in less than 10 minutes.

The problem still ocurrs. The only thing they have done to "fix it" is add a "hose protector" to the side of the hose that gets bursted. This is, I am sorry to say, a very rudimentary form of band aid fixing. The hose design is wrong, and putting something that allows some flexibility but hinders the whole point of a flexible hose is kind of ironic in itself. There are WAY to many reports of failed hoses to disregard it as "a small batch that has been fixed".

Brandon:
The HP swivel fitting on the Phantom hose, for example, feels a bit sloppier than the fittings on any of my other hoses, but is functionally fine.
I'll add that a little over a year later, the Phantom HP hose has failed - at the sloppy feeling swivel fitting.

-B

I have two DIR regulator sets, both have Miflex hoses on the regulators (84"/22"), and a mix on the other hoses.

• Standard HP Hose / Phantom HP Hose: Phantom hose behaves like the standard hose, but with greater flexibility and a little lighter. I don't like the diameter of the Miflex HP hose - can barely feel it when diving with dry gloves / liners, and it's too floppy.
  • Standard LP Inflator Hose / Miflex LP Inflator Hose: Neither Miflex nor Phantom offer a 15" LP Inflator hose, so I have an 18" Miflex on one rig, and a 15" standard hose on the other. Will eventually replace the 18" Miflex with a 15" of some sort.
Miflex hoses appear to be of a bit higher quality than the Phantom hoses, but I'm not sure its enough of a difference that it really matters. The HP swivel fitting on the Phantom hose, for example, feels a bit sloppier than the fittings on any of my other hoses, but is functionally fine.

-B

At least with the Phantom HP the SPG will actually swivel on the Miflex it wouldn't move once pressurized. I swapped to Phantom HP.

any picture to show how the failure looks like?
It'd be hard to show the failure with a picture as there's no external visible damage. It's leaking at the flange of the swivel fitting, and replacing the spool or the spool o-rings doesn't correct the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom