Mini DV tape quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
OH NO!! I used TDK DVDs in my SONY DVD recorder... I wonder if my warranty is void.

Yes, we understand that the Sony unit wants the wet lubrication and other tapes do not provide it. Which is why I won't buy Sony cameras any longer. Everyone else in the industry does things the simple way, Sony does things their own way.

Matsu****a RULES!

LOL!

This may be true, but far more Sony cameras have housings built for them than any other type of camcorder. In fact my housing has held my Sony Hi-8, digital-8, mini-DV and soon my HC-3 HD camcorders without changing even so much as a PCB! Try that with a Panasonic (my only Pan mini-DV died in less than 6 months) or JVC.

hoosier:
I see you point. It reminds me of the beta VCR war a long time ago.

However, why not? Is it a big deal to get the sony tape with the sony unit?

I mean you decided the camera based on the tape media?

Nope. I bought the best product available for the money. And that was not Sony. Rarely is it Sony. I have to produce product compatible with industry standards for broadcast purposes. Everyone else in the industry can handle each others media. Only those who go with Sony are incompatible with everyone else.

drbill:
This may be true, but far more Sony cameras have housings built for them than any other type of camcorder. In fact my housing has held my Sony Hi-8, digital-8, mini-DV and soon my HC-3 HD camcorders without changing even so much as a PCB! Try that with a Panasonic (my only Pan mini-DV died in less than 6 months) or JVC.

You just contradicted yourself. The fact that a bunch of Sony cameras fit the SAME housing does not mean that more housing are built for Sony. But I understand your point. I have two Sony mini-DV cameras. They were cheap. I hand them out as loaners. But when I have to truly film something, the DVX100 is my weapon of choice.

Go with what works for you.

PerroneFord:
Go with what works for you.

Interesting that you say that, but with your diving, (in your sig line it says, "gear configuration" with a link to someone else's gear config) you go with what works according to the "gospels"

I'm just curious... Is it do what works for some things, and do what other people say for others?

PerroneFord:
You just contradicted yourself. The fact that a bunch of Sony cameras fit the SAME housing does not mean that more housing are built for Sony...

Not really. The two are different statements. There are more housings built specifically for Sony cameras than any other manufacturer. My specific housing is a separate issue, but the fact it can house several dozen camera models (all Sony or Canon) is a big plus in flexibility vs a housing dedicated to a single brand and model.

As for other brands, my first mini DV camcorder, a Panasonic, fell apart in less than a year. It was junk. All of my Sonys still work despite the fact that my Sony mini-DV has been receiving almost daily use for several years now.

howarde:
Interesting that you say that, but with your diving, (in your sig line it says, "gear configuration" with a link to someone else's gear config) you go with what works according to the "gospels"

I'm just curious... Is it do what works for some things, and do what other people say for others?

What does my sig line have to do with miniDV tapes?

Very thinly veiled swipe at DIR Howarde. Regardless, you don't know me, and don't know my dive config. So what are you saying?

PerroneFord:
What does my sig line have to do with miniDV tapes?

Very thinly veiled swipe at DIR Howarde. Regardless, you don't know me, and don't know my dive config. So what are you saying?

No swipe at DIR. Just curious.

You were pointing out a contradiction, and that seemed contradictory to me... that's all. Maybe I should have kept that to myself.

I am DIR... to a point. I think it's a great system, and I like nearly all of it. However, I like the idea of CCR rebreathers which according to the published DIR information is not allowed. However, it's debateable as there are CCR divers out there who are DIR.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with adopting a standard (DIR, VHS, BetaSP) and using that system as much as you can to meet your needs, but being flexible when the situation warrants.

Hence my statement, do what works for you.

That's cool... Thanks :D

PerroneFord:
Nope. I bought the best product available for the money. And that was not Sony. Rarely is it Sony. I have to produce product compatible with industry standards for broadcast purposes.

My footage on Sony tapes has been used by television broadcasters from Japan, Europe and throughout the States. I've never heard any of their producers or editors complain it was on Sony tape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom