mini-gauge & compass opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would you buy a console with an analog depth gauge if you're using a wrist mounted bottom timer?

Just buy a nice brass SPG with 100psi markings, LP has OMS ones for $75.

Call it redundant, call it back up or call it growing room. Or am I missing your point?

I'm more wondering if Gomer realizes it's perfectly acceptable to use the SPG by itself.

In reply to OP:
I'm going budget on my equipment as of right now and am thinking of the 2 gauge system as a stepping stone till I save up the money for the wrist computer I would like to get...

In reply to WSC:
I'm currently not thinking about any kind of technical diving, merely recreational... The idea of attaching the compass to a retractor had not occured to me I shall give this more thought...

In reply to Shaka:
I have no clue, but apparently something wrong... I guess I should drop you a pm in order to discuss what it is you mean by this... I know previously I had been discussing the wrist computers with you (specifically the Suunto line) but my living expenses have just increased plus a few monetary curveballs were thrown my way... Gauges/computer is the only thing I have left until I complete my basic kit and go diving w/o renting... So I figured I would opt to get it asap and finally start getting some bottom time on a regular basis...

In reply to Jonnythan:
The bottom timer I am getting is that Timex Helix one... It says it is only rated to 50m and where that does give me an adequate range to dive within, it still makes me leary seeing as most watches/timers are rated to 100-200m... Just in case I think it would be good to have a little redundancy for the time being... And in the future I figure a dual console will become my backup when I move to a wrist mount dive computer...

Buying cheap now will cost you more later, get the right stuff bro.

Okay, I have a Cressi mini gauge setup. These gauges are great. I have the three gauge (SPG, pressure, and compass) I think I actually got it by mistake since I only ordered a two gauge setup. I am using the mini gauges as a back-up since I have an Aeris Elite (hoseless wrist computer). I prefer a wrist mount compass and have a Suunto SK-7. Any way, I just look at it as a redundancy having the extra compass. It really doesn't take up much space with the compass.

Clff Notes - Cressi Gauges good. Many prefer wrist mount to console. It can't hurt to have redundancy when under water.

LoL the Cliff Notes are appreciated Kestrell that was much too long of a post as is... :wink:

Yeah that's how I was looking at it... A little redundancy could never hurt... The price difference between an OMS spg and a dual gauge Cressi is $40... The thing is do I save the money towards buying my computer or spend it and get a backup depth gauge... I'm looking at maybe in the future when I get more experience under my belt & a redundant air supply doing some light solo diving (please don't flame me) occasionally and the extra gauge certainly couldn't hurt... But then again it's doubtful I'd be going under say 40ish feet doing something like that and if my comp/timer starts going haywire it would be easy enough just to surface... Oh and the compass is under control, I decided upon a wrist mount setup and am buying a used Oceanic one off another board member...

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread I think the desicion is now coming down to just my personal concerns with having a backup... Any further opinions are still welcome however if anyone wants to chime in further as I will continue to check this thread...

Since you are buying a used oceanic - since that is a stock size, you can add it to a clip mount console and get a retractor if you ever get tired of it on your wrist. That would set you ups like wscdive does his. The Quick Disconnect Compass is $49.95... but that is with the compass included... just the little clip mount shown is just 15, (compass mods are 35) so it will be easy to get it off your wrist if you don't like it that way.

Personally... I hate things on my wrist. Won't wear a compass, or computer there.

I know that is the unpopular answer... but here's my reasons:

First, I'm a kinda disorganized individual. A wrist computer (through out this rant, feel free to include compass any time I say computer - when applicable), A wrist computer is kinda big. Unless you have one of those tiny little ones, which then are too small of a display for me. A big computer (compass) on my wrist gets in way when I put on my BC. Always seems to hang up on my left strap when putting on my BC.

If I'm trying to reach under a ledge to tickle out a lobster to take his picture, I'm scratching it up.

When I get back on the boat, dock, etc... it's too big to leave on my wrist, so off it comes. An hour or so later when getting ready for the next dive you hear "Has anyone seen where I left my computer?" but I do the same thing with keys, sunglasses, dive buddies...etc.

Or walk up to the camera table, and sitting in a pile are 4 identical dive computers... all of which had slightly different dives earlier... and yours is...? So if you are doing that... Make sure you carve or write on your initials or some mark so you know which is yours.

Ok, final and most important point in my mind. Number one reason divers get hurt is running out of air. Number one reason divers run out of air is not looking at their gauge. People ask me all the time - "how do you use this computer?" "Easy... jump in the water and don't let the big number hit zero!" Really that's about all there is... But folks get a bit caught up with the computer - when on the wrist.

They're diving along and the computer says, 8 minutes left - depth 110... so they work up shallower, 20 minutes left, depth 56. If the computer says they have 20 minutes left... well they have 20 minutes left! But not if they are down to 200 psi in the tank. But I've seen divers get hypnotized, lulled into safety by having a big number on the computer.

That's why I prefer it's on the gauge (unless of course it's an air integrated wrist computer like the Aeris Elite - I'm fine with that on my wrist, or on a retractor.)

My thought is every time you check depth and time you should check air supply. End of story. Well why look here, then look there? If splitting up the info was a great idea, why don't you drive your car with a speedometer on the dash, tach on your wrist, oil gauge on your knee... etc. Put the data I need in one spot - If I look at one - glance at it all.

To me, it's more convenient, easier to use, less hassle, and safer.... But maybe it's just my opinion....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom