Minimum age for Scuba Diving

What age is appropriate to begin Scuba training?

• 10 years old

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • 11 years old

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 12 years old

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • 13 years old

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • 14 years old

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • 15 years old

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • 16 years old

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • 17 years old

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Any age

Votes: 12 10.0%
  • Adults (18+) only

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was certified as a Jr. Open Water Diver when I was 13 years old. As a bookworm, I read and reread every word in the Open Water Manual. I paid close attention to the instructor, and asked questions when I did not understand something. I was the youngest student in my class. I recall some students who did not pay attention to the instructor because they were being forced into diving by a family member. I felt that was unsafe. But my point is that scuba must be something that someone wants to learn, is willing to do, and is careful while diving. Personally, I would not recommend 12-14 year olds diving off the mid-Atlantic coast, I think they should get a bit more experience (25 dives- deep and/or wreck) before doing so. Just my humble opinion

Agree.

If my daughter certifies at 12 (which I'm considering) there's NFW I would take her to the wrecks off the coast here. We'd go to the keys or the islands instead. There's not a lot around here worth seeing at less than 80 feet and I don't like the idea of her diving deep while still so young, no matter how comfortable she is in the water.

Agree.

If my daughter certifies at 12 (which I'm considering) there's NFW I would take her to the wrecks off the coast here. We'd go to the keys or the islands instead. There's not a lot around here worth seeing at less than 80 feet and I don't like the idea of her diving deep while still so young, no matter how comfortable she is in the water.

Are you talking about all dive off NC coast or just the off shore ones? There in the Indra and then the shore dive of Radio? Are all those off base?

Are you talking about all dive off NC coast or just the off shore ones? There in the Indra and then the shore dive of Radio? Are all those off base?

Just talking about the deeper stuff. Radio Island- no problem. I could see doing the Indra with her, but even then I would want her to have a little bit of experience before we did it. My main concern is the unknown effects of pressure on her still developing body.

Just talking about the deeper stuff. Radio Island- no problem. I could see doing the Indra with her, but even then I would want her to have a little bit of experience before we did it. My main concern is the unknown effects of pressure on her still developing body.

I had figured you were referring to the U boat, off shore dives, but I wanted to confirm. I don't plan on taking mine down any further than what she is allowed, no need to. She appears to be happy at around the 20-30 foot mark and that is fine with me, that is where we hang out at. Heck, she would be happy with a can of cheese whiz and in the quarry in 15' of water. She could hang out there most of the day, I think, just feeding the fish. Would not feed in the ocean, of course. But the Blue Gill really like her.

It looks like a flock/swarm/murder of Blue Gill when the cheese whiz comes out. :shakehead:

Id go for 14. Old enough to (probably) be mature enough to understand the risks, want to do it out of their own choice and handle some of the discomfort.

12 is 50/50 in people you get. A large number of 10yr olds simply aren't mature enough mentally or physically to be safe and i certainly wouldnt hold out much hope if conditions changed for the worst.

I said 16 he said a responsible dive buddy.. I heard of 7 year olds getting certified I don't have aproblem with that but would I take a 7 year old out and trust him with my life? Maybe? Ill take a youngin out if there's a couple of us, but just one on one? I wouldn't have taken me out at that age so no way haha

Back
Top Bottom