Minimum proficiency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM: Why do you feed the trolls?

When I see someone who uses any type of thread as a 'platform for attack' has no personal information or information about their dive history, it's probably safest to let them be :)

Well, two things bugged me about that post.

First off, the person posting it either knows me or has done some research to know I was diving 72s.

Second, the "first rule" stuff. I feel the need to refute those accusations when I can.

But you're right. It was probably better ignored.

TSandM: It struck me the same way.

But I must be off, I'm going diving with a bunch of people with Air2's and ponys. And I'm not even kidding :D

I personally appreciate post like these. As I am studying the IDC materials, some of the questions that I have read here pop into my mind. I hope, that as a future instructor, I will be able to remember these questions and anticipate the unask questions. Walter's post regarding pre-coned skill test is very interesting and I think bodes well for his students. I plan to use his schematic outlined in the future. Thanks guys and Lynn. After reading T's post, you can see she is always thinking of safety not only herself but her buddies. I am sure she could get her buddy to the surface and execute a rescue very effectively regardless of their size.

First there is no troll. I just dont post very often. My experience level is tri 1 as well as divemaster. With that being said ,those in itself don't mean anything about my skills.

I have been there before with your buddies running around the parking lot looking at other divers gear trying to find out who it was that messed up the vis in thier cove. It's not there cove and if someone wants to run through it on there feet they can not stop them. In fact I have been there before by the boundry line when 3 of them came through and all but pushed us off the line. So how does this relate? Those DIR divers march around complaining about minimum standards of diving. It is counter productive to safe diving. They know just enough to be dangerous.

Enough of that though. How do you know who is unsafe to dive with? What makes you say that person is unsafe with out diving with them first. Wouldnt it be fair to say that almost all divers out of OW are unsafe. Bouncy not that good, global awareness shabby,and what light management. To improve, someone has to dive with them. So if you tell someone they need more experience,then offer to help them get it and define what that means to you. If your exspectations seam unreasonable to them then they can find other buddies.

Here is one thing that affects new diver training. A instructor gets $50 for the OW student. After all the work you put into teaching the student that ends up being what, .50 cents and hour. Think of the quality of work you would get from your contractor.

diver12345: Well your definition of troll and mine must differ then.

In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, often in the form of posting messages that are inflammatory, insulting, incorrect, inaccurate, absurd, or off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others.
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom