Mistake thread......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "giant Stride" off the MV Fling (Gulf of Mexico) is just that---giant. The gate is a full 6 feet off the surface. Add your height to that and it feels like a looong time before you hit the water. I did the big step, hit the water, signaled I was okay, then descended down the mooring line. About ten feet down, my mask began to leak a bit, so I cleared it without stopping and kept moving down. The mask leaked more...cleared it again. Finally, at about 65 feet, I leveled off and my mask flooded badly. I stopped and with a sharp puff attempted to clear my mask again...and blew my mask right off my face!
When I had hit the water, my mask strap had ridden up on top of my head. Only minor pressure was holding it on my face, so when I cleared forcefully, it released the pressure.
By the way, I did manage to catch the mask and put it back on to finish the dive without incident. Taught me to check my straps before descending, though.

Did you put your mask on over a hood or beanie...?
Finally, at about 65 feet, I leveled off and my mask flooded badly. I stopped and with a sharp puff attempted to clear my mask again...and blew my mask right off my face!
This is one reason I have my beanie over my mask strap, among overs. I usually keep the beanie in BC pocket and put it on at the bottom if I get chilled. Instant relieve.

Back
Top Bottom