Mistake thread......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvr4lyf

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just finished reading a thread about someone who dove with a "newbie" who kept bumping into him, and God knows I have made my mistakes!

So here's a chance for a good laugh, post your mistakes:wink:

( yes everyone without mistakes IS exempt)

My first ocean dive was 3 years ago, in Florida. We were in Pampano Beach and headed to the boat @ 7am. I was buddied up with a cool guy from another county.
When my air got down to 800psi I showed him my computer and signaled up after looking at his computer. Well we were with a group of 10 and he was carring the flag for everyone. When we got to the boat the Capt. asked us where everyone was????:icon10: Well needless to say we got such an a*s chewing that I'll never forget to pass the flag again. Even though I was'nt carrying it.:classic: Guilty by association i guess. But good lesson 4 me!!:cheers:

One of the first dives I did with an equally inexperienced buddy, my tank slipped down and I didn't realize how low it was. I apparently did the whole dive almost completely vertical, wondering stupidly why I couldn't keep any air in my drysuit. I kept putting it in, and it kept bubbling right back out . . . My buddy was wondering why I wanted to dive standing up, but didn't pick up on the slipped tank. That was not one of my more stellar moments.

Another high point was getting in the water with my dry suit unzipped. Short dive, that one. Luckily, there were three of us going on that dive, so I didn't ruin the dive for anybody except me!

climbed on the wrong boat

took a VIP client 3 star general I had seen only on CNN on an underwater tour of Siberia (180 degrees off)

took a tour into a cavern to see a "dead diver's tank that the rescuers left"

left my bcd cap at my pool and dove a week in palau before I noticed my bc did not hold air (a while ago, okay?)

forgot my bs bottoms and so just put my wetsuit on in the head but forgot when I got on the boat and pulled it off

:sorry19z: Jumping in without fins
:sorry19z: Losing a fin while rolling off a Zodiac
:sorry19z: Descending without noticing the lack of compass, bottom timer and computer.

More is bound to follow... :11:

On my first boat dive, I bungeed up my tank (attached to my BCD) and checked in with the DM. I went back to my tank and rigged up my gear. I had forgotten to take the bungee cord off the tank, which would have been difficult to get off the boat as my 1st/2nd stage was now attached to my tank!!!

Fortunately, my instructor realized it and called me over to fix it before it was time to dive...*BLUSH*

This past weekend when diving in Cancun during my AOW course, I learned a few things big lessons. The biggest thing that I learned was that when told to call a dive a certain psi, I need to add at least 300psi to that number for a while in order to have enough air to finish the dive. I know that we should dive using the 1/3 rules but sometimes that doesn't happen. What happened was that during our safety stop after an 80ft wreak dive, I ran out of air about 1 1/2 min. into our stop. I called for my instructor's octo, but something just wasn't right with it, it was as if it had a leak and it kept giving me a mouth full of water. I called for a second octo and took a few pulls of air and that buddy had to surface due to low air at that point.

Lesson 1 learned...I can keep my cool in a situation like this!

Lesson 2 learned...Make sure that my buddy has enough air to share before calling for his octo.

Lesson 3 learned...It helps to talk about what happened with your buddy after the dive, because it provides for a great learning opportunity.

Lesson 4 learned...This will never hopefully happen again, since I learned a great deal during my AOW course.

I could go on and on for a while about the other important things I had learned this weekend during my AOW course, but I'm going to stop here for now. Because of these lessons I'm now a better diver!

Lets see where do I start......
OW ckass 3rd dive was so taken by the aquatic life, forgot about my buddy who ran out of air, drop his weight belt and shot to the surface like a rocket (he was OK) but got a a__ chewing from my first instructor.
or
My first dive master in training open water class had my pool weight instead of ocean weight..........spend the dive on the surface

Ready to stride in, my buddy (wife) and I had done our checks, I decided to tighten my chest strap at the last minute and naturally got my reg hose stuck underneath. Didn't really notice until I was at depth (60 ft) and couldn't turn my head left or right (not enough hose slack). My buddy had to undress and redress me underwater. Of course my two sons thought it was hillarious and made sure everyone on the dive knew about it.

Hmm...

Combination: Chased jellyfish on safety stop until buddy was getting quite low on air. When I got up, tried to clip my BC onto the kayak, discovered the rented tank was about 10 lbs heavier than I thought, sank my kit, tried to retrieve it on buddy's stuff, realized at 20' it was a bad idea about half a second before I went OOA. Rowed back in, got another tank, rowed back out with buddy's gear, went down, power inflator stuck, rocketing me to the surface from 60', went back down, found gear. Duhhh

Descent on snorkel approximately seven times.

Left dive skin drying on a rock at Point Lobos and didn't realize I'd forgotten it until three weeks later.

Ignored bottom conditions at Lovers Point when the surge increased, came up into surfers, got hit by a wave, tossed into the rocks and beaten repeatedly until being rescued with 50 psi left in my tank (1300 when I surfaced into the wave).

Tried to shower and change back into street clothes after they locked the bathrooms at popular dive site, by using the cold water showers in back of the building, hidden from the dive site parking lot. Stripped naked, was cleaning off to go home, looked UP and realized I was doing all of this as part of the scenic view of the local second story restaurant. Hi kids!

I'm better now... really... Haven't even bungied myself to a dive boat.

Back
Top Bottom