Mistake thread......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was 17 years old (1976) in British Honduras (now known as Belize) I saw a smallish boat getting ready to go out from a dock with dive gear on it (very ly, beat up dive gear, just north of the 'horse collar'). I asked the guy, how much, and he asked me if I knew how to dive. I said sure I did. After paying him the $10 or whatever it was, off we went, and I watched the three other people put their stuff together and copied what they did. After a few false starts, I got it all together. Then it was time for the weight belts, and one of the guys on the boat (who got his weights right before me) weighed about 800 lbs. (exaggeration) and took 32 lbs. I figured I weighed less than half he did, but wanted to make sure I could sink, so I asked for 16 lbs. (no wet suit, and I weighed about 160 lbs. soaking wet). The boat guy asked me if I was sure I knew what I was doing, and I was like, I always use 16 lbs. So he just gave it to me. Needless to say, when I jumped in the water I went straght down into 40 feet of water like a rock (since I didn't know anything about putting air in the bc and whatever else). I am grateful we weren't at the blue hole and that my eardrums didn't blow out (but they hurt). So, my first dive ever I learned how to take weights off my weight belt at 40 feet, and swim them back up to the boat a couple at a time, and then went down and got a couple more. By the end of that, I was swimming all over the place, and fell in love. Anyway, that guy knew I didn't know what I was doing, and that's why we jumped out in 40 feet of water instead of over the wall. I learned a valuable lesson, then got some free dive lessons over the next couple days and was on my way...didn't get certified for many years (until I wanted to become an instructor) but dove and dove and dove anyway all over the world. Funny...I guess it was irresponsible for him to do that, but this is the way things used to be (throw him in, he'll learn to swim...or not)...

CN

* Half way into a shore dive entry and realising that i'm without fins..

*Half way into another shore dive entry and realising that i'm without my weight belt.

* Doing a backward roll with an uninflated BC

That's all I can remember right now, but i'm sure i'll have to more to add in the future :D.

-jumpsed off boat without weights, only to say, duh! why am i not sinking?
-power inflate BC from safety stop, instead of deflating the bc.

Ok Ok, I've had a good laugh so I'll give it up, Night dive number 6 or so, I was out with a usual buddy of of mine and 4 guys I didnt know, we were at the Breakwater and halfway into the dive I find this cool Dentronitis (I think), basically looked like a giant nudi, so I get everyone's attention and lead them back to it, and right as stop above it, I started to descend, so naturally I give a little kick to stay up and it annihilates this nudi in a 5' cloud of sand, it was one of those "Want to get away?" moments.

other than that I always do great things like leave a reg or fins at home, once locked the keys in the car at Breakwater with only dive gear on, no money, no clothes, no change for meter, buddy had AAA, that was the real rescue that day.

Enjoy. Good Thread, Dvr4Lyf

Jamdiver:
* Doing a backward roll with an uninflated BC:D.

Uh-oh. What's wrong with that?

I can't think of any.

OK, maybe a few...

Jumped into 46 degree water without zipping up my drysuit.

Descend without mask on.

Got to dive site and couldn't dive because I forgot... hee-hee... my tank.

During DIRF class, locked my keys in my truck and had to stand around with my gear waiting for AAA.

Last Wednesday. Couldn't find my wallet and had to chase down my buddies truck to bum a dollar to pay the parking fee, so they would let me out of the lot.

Left my Turtle fins with spring straps hanging in the porta-potty. When I came back they were gone. Oh, crap!

I was diving with my brother during his ow checkout at Dutch Springs, and he started drifting upward when we got into some shallower water, so I reached up to grab him. I hadn't realized until my instructor pushed my hand away that I had grabbed the loose end of his weight belt. I used to think you couldn't really see people's expressions through a mask, but then I saw the look in his eyes and realized that the idea of 'mad' could definitely be conveyed.

On my AOW chekout dive at DS also, I at one point was trying to untangle a reel that i had tangled by not keeping enough tension on it. My instructor, the same one, reached for it to help me but I accidentally let go before he got a grip on it and it dropped down into the murkiness. He went down after it and came back a couple minutes later. Have I ever told you about what his eyes looked like when he was mad?

catherine96821:
forgot my bs bottoms and so just put my wetsuit on in the head but forgot when I got on the boat and pulled it off

Catherine, i'm having trouble finding the pics of this on your website, which link is it? :D

Austin

As soon as I make a mistake, I'll let you know. :)

Seriously, though, just yesterday I was at the local scuba park. 3 mil wetsuit, 65 deg water. It drops off about 5 deg at the thermocline. I'm going along below the thermocline, clinching my arms over my chest to help retain heat when suddenly I depart my buddy Nautilus Missile style. Seems I had inadvertantly depressed my inflator button. I was up 15' before getting it back under control.

I'm new so I haven't had enough dives to collect these types of memories except when my wife and I were doing open water dive 1 during our OW course. We work as a team, and it was my turn to put the weight on our weight belts.

I decided to "cheat" with the task and took the belt buckles off so I could thread on the weight keepers oin the buckle side and when I put my wife's buckle back on I threaded it on wrong.

The morning of dive one, we arrive early, and gear up. They go through the pre-dive breifing and our group is first in the water. Entry is giant stride, but you're about six to eight feet above the water when you're on the step off platform.

She stands up, squares herself away, and steps off. She pops up like buoy, and gives me the dirtiest look I have seen in years, then truns to the DM in the water beisde her and calmly asks him to go down the 40 feet and get her weight belt....

OOPPPSSS....MY BAD :D

Back
Top Bottom