mixing ssi and padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the General Standards and Procedures section, it addresses the instructor doing a pre-assessment which applies to PADI referrals, instructor to instructor. There is no mention of the URP mentioned earlier. I would think most would not accept a non PADI trained diver directly into OW check out dives. I mostly deal with PADI instructors and don't know of anyone that has personally.

The pre-assessment can be used when verifying a divers OW level or fitness to move on to another course. Moving from 'pool' to open water does not fit as you describe.

The way I understand it is ; Student can do a preassessment in confined water,pass the final exam and then do the required 4 ow dives to earn a PADI certification.

That makes sense (but don't forget the manual purchase), as you have the option of assessing theory and skills in confined water before you do the check out dives. I was reading it as a referral from a non PADI instructor proceeding directly to open water with a PADI instructor. PADI to PADI the referral is crystal clear.

That makes sense (but don't forget the manual purchase), as you have the option of assessing theory and skills in confined water before you do the check out dives. I was reading it as a referral from a non PADI instructor proceeding directly to open water with a PADI instructor. PADI to PADI the referral is crystal clear.

I do not believe that the manual must be owned at that point.Referral paperwork from referring instructor(non PADI) should be kept in student record file, along with final exam that was reviewed with student by PADI instructor.Student should have text from the other agency if they wish to review material in future.

If the student is to recieve a PADI OW Certification at the end, the student must complete the entire PADI Scuba Review program, along with the PADI Open Water Diver Final Exam before any open water training occurs.

The recieving instructor is going to have to reveiw the referral document (and keep a copy) and also verify that the "water skills assessment" has been completed.

Personally I believe your friend should finish the course with the same agency he/she starts. My opinion is this: Finish the class for example with SSI and then if you like you can switch to PADi or vise versa. I have a friend who did her OW course with CMAS and then she found a good deal to become AOW with PADI.So she did.I don't think mixing up the same particular course is a good idea anyway.

PADI does participate in URP but they don't encourage it. From the PADI site:
PADI has procedures for accepting referred divers from other organizations to result in PADI certification. You can find this procedure in the "Open Water Diver Course Instructor Guide" under the section entitled Accepting Referral Students from Certification Organizations Other Than PADI.
That isn't participation in the URP at all. In the URP, the C-Card is issued by the referring instructor, not the receiving instructor. What PADI is doing is counter to the intent of the URP; the URP is designed to keep the original shop/student relationship intact. PADI policy is designed to "steal" the student away from the agency they started with.
No surprise there.
Rick

That isn't participation in the URP at all. In the URP, the C-Card is issued by the referring instructor, not the receiving instructor. What PADI is doing is counter to the intent of the URP; the URP is designed to keep the original shop/student relationship intact. PADI policy is designed to "steal" the student away from the agency they started with.
No surprise there.
Rick

Ah, I mistakenly assumed the person finishing the certification was the certifying agency. If the referring agency is supposed to issue the certification then I do remember reading something which CLEARLY indicates that PADI is not okay with finishing the certification and letting the referring agency issue the card.

From the 2010 PADI IM

"When receiving a referred diver from another training
organization for course completion, follow the Referral
Procedures in the General Standards and Procedures
Guide. Use the Scuba Review program and the Open Water
Diver Course Final Exam to preassess the referred diver’s
knowledge and skills."

Ah, I mistakenly assumed the person finishing the certification was the certifying agency. If the referring agency is supposed to issue the certification then I do remember reading something which CLEARLY indicates that PADI is not okay with finishing the certification and letting the referring agency issue the card.
In the URP the referral instructor doesn't "finish the certification." The referral instructor conducts the open water dives and verifies that all required skills have been satisfactorily performed under his/her supervision. The referring instructor "finishes the certification" by adding the dive completion and skills verification paperwork to the student's training records and signing off the course completion for the agency the student did the academic and pool sessions with.
PADI, being the 900 pound gorilla, doesn't feel the need to participate in this cooperative manner, apparently.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom