Modified Thirds, Turn-Around Pressure and Lost Buddy Search SPG Calculations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back when I was doing my DM class, I studied all the physics standards and did the practice questions in metric because it was so much easier. Then when I took the exam, the instructor told me that I was in America, and if I was going to be a DM working with American divers, I better darn well be able to do it in imperial, and that was how I was tested.

I fully agree that it would be just wonderful if the whole world were metric. Things would be much, much easier. But that's not how it is here. About a year ago I had an AOW student who had his gauges set for bar rather than PSI because it was easier for him. It wasn't so easy for him, though, when as a part of his class he had to do his dive planning with the rest of the group, all of whom were in imperial. He was simply stumped. The rest of the class was having trouble adjusting to him as well, but he was the individual who was causing the problems by being the one who was different.

I find it a lot easier to just go along and use the same units everyone else I know is using than being the loner doing everything different. I could arrogantly shove my difference into everyone's face and constantly rant about my superiority for doing things that way, but I don't want to be that kind of a guy.

It doesn't matter being "that type of guy" -but convincing divers how to work smarter & easier on something as VITAL as gas planning. And if it's easier & smarter in Metric, then there's nothing wrong in standing up and insisting upon it. . .

---------- Post added May 21st, 2013 at 06:14 PM ----------

If you say so...
I'm going to go with the old line.... Kev, you don't know what you don't know.
And you definitely won't know if you don't try to understand. . .

I can use both. Its not rocket surgery, but I don't go all bananas like you do over one particular system, esp in a country where virtually everyone thinks in Imperial. Both (obviously) work.

I don't need to try and understand. I do understand. I get it, believe me. But it's a non-issue. You've been to N. Florida right? It's been coined as the place where High Tech meets Low Life. A bunch of hicks were the people who first started diving these caves. And not everything has changed in that time. But you are trying to piss up a rope. The country folk don't want to hear how you do it across the pond. I live in the US. In the US we speak English. We use the Imperial System, and we drink cold milk. That's not going to change in my life time.

Waste your time on something you can actually get to happen, because getting the american people to embrace the metric system is a waste of your typing skills.

This is the wreck diving T2T, and no I haven't been to N. Florida because I don't care about troglodyte cave-head hicks, nor do I want to associate with Kool-aid drinking American GUE sycophant "DIR Practitioner" snots who don't care for metric either. . .

My buddies are primarily Europeans & Asians so it's important to know metric, diving the sunken WWII ships of the Indo-Pacific Region, which are historically more significant & compelling than any cave system.

I am proud American-born Citizen for over fifty years now, equally competent in either Imperial or Metric, but now convinced that Metric is the smartest easiest system to dive with. . . And I have the time & the Right to say so.:cool2:

Last edited:
Yah, I really didn't look to see what forum we were in. Mostly because I don't care. My message transcends forums. We don't care how you do it over there. LOL. We're sticking with Imperial. Deal with it. It's not likely to change.

I don't care about troglodyte cave-head hicks, nor do I want to associate with Kool-aid drinking American GUE sycophant "DIR Practitioner" snots who don't care for metric either. . .

I HOPE that's directed at me. Please let it be. And if it is, we have an accord.

...This is the wreck diving T2T, and no I haven't been to N. Florida because I don't care about troglodyte cave-head hicks, nor do I want to associate with Kool-aid drinking American GUE sycophant "DIR Practitioner" snots who don't care for metric either. . .

WOW... that is a pretty interesting statement... it reads as if everyone diving in N FL caves falls into one of those two categories. I'm pretty sure quite a few people would take offense to that. Sheesh.

This is the wreck diving T2T, and no I haven't been to N. Florida because I don't care about troglodyte cave-head hicks, nor do I want to associate with Kool-aid drinking American GUE sycophant "DIR Practitioner" snots who don't care for metric either. . .

My buddies are primarily Europeans & Asians so it's important to know metric, diving the sunken WWII ships of the Indo-Pacific Region, which are historically more significant & compelling than any cave system.

I am proud American-born Citizen for over fifty years now, equally competent in either Imperial or Metric, but now convinced that Metric is the smartest easiest system to dive with. . . And I have the time & the Right to say so.:cool2:

Are you really THAT full of yourself?

I understand, metric is all neat and tidy and that's what you do in Truk. Great. Good for you. Lord knows we hear about it enough. For anyone that uses Imperial, it ain't hard either. Good luck on converting everyone else over.

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2013 at 07:26 AM ----------

WOW... that is a pretty interesting statement... it reads as if everyone diving in N FL caves falls into one of those two categories. I'm pretty sure quite a few people would take offense to that. Sheesh.

Look young lady, he dives TRUK! Nothing can ever compare to that. He reminds us in every thread on scuba board. Your inferior skills and knowledge will never compare.

If it's not that complicated, then why hasn't anyone else (besides UTD) taken the time to explain and apply the concept & methodology above in concise detail before???

Because simple things don't take 900+ words to explain

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom