Molokai vs Molokini Crater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im going to be on Maui in May, and I will be doing a couple of days of diving. Does anyone have a Dive charter that you would recomend that I go with (West Maui)?

Lahaina Divers or Extended Horizons might be a good choice. I like the big LD boats coming back when the trades pickup but they may have more divers on the boat. I think Lahaina Divers are the only ones doing the Molokai Hammerhead dives now. One other option is Hawaiian Rafting Adventures. Don't know much about them.

Maui Dive Shop leaves out of Maalaea - that's farther than I'd want to drive more than once from the Ka'anapali area. Maui Diamond does also. I don't recommend MDS for anyone other than beginners. No exp. with Maui Diamond.

Last edited:
good info

The Molokai dive can be very challenging as to entry and exits, and always has some current involved. On a calm day it is a MUCH easier dive than when the trade winds are blowing, but it is still fairly deep (90's) and a non-moored bot entry and exit. It is also pricey for a 2 tank dive (about $200.00). It is also worth every penny. It will take up most of a day. It is not pretty, but the hammerheads are there, and they are awesome. Molikini is an easy dive, vis almost always 100 to 150 feet, and pretty. Lots of fish, garden eels, good chance of seeing white tip reef sharks, mantas or eagle rays. Why not do both?
DivemasterDennis

We'll be coming on a cruise (NCL Pride of America) at the end of Aug. Sounds like the Molokai dive would be challenging but wonderful. Hammerheads, nice. If there's 8' tide, it's fine to jump off the boat. But how do you get back on? The diver will be bouncing all over with the waves, will need both hands and strength just to hang on, let along trying to take off fins and bcd/tank. I just can't imagine how.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to go to Molokini. If my wife is up to it, will get her to come snorkeling too.

We'll be coming on a cruise (NCL Pride of America) at the end of Aug. Sounds like the Molokai dive would be challenging
I don't see any way you could get to Lahaina Divers for the Molokai trip - check-in time is 7AM.

Unless you're overnighting the night before and staying over till at least 2PM the next day. And that would be pushing it depending on the water conditions coming back in the afternoon.

Your ship moors in Kahului - east Maui - at least 45mins. drive from Lahaina in West Maui. On a good day with no nearby cruise traffic congestion - like that's going to happen...lol

I don't see any way you could get to Lahaina Divers for the Molokai trip - check-in time is 7AM.

Unless you're overnighting the night before and staying over till at least 2PM the next day. And that would be pushing it depending on the water conditions coming back in the afternoon.

Your ship moors in Kahului - east Maui - at least 45mins. drive from Lahaina in West Maui. On a good day with no nearby cruise traffic congestion - like that's going to happen...lol
Sorry I didn't separate the first sentence about coming on the cruise and Molokai dive. From the cruise, we're docking at Kahului, and on the second day I plan to do the Molokini dive. Our ship will overnight and we're renting a car, so we do have to wake up early to get to Kihei boat ramp.

Back
Top Bottom