Money in Coz....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phxcamera

Reaction score
Howdy All,

Are US$ pretty much the standard currency in Coz, or should we convert it? Also, what's the deal with credit cards? Widely accepted or mostly cash-only? Leaving next week, and need to know if a trip to the bank for cash is in order...

Please forgive my Cozumel neophytes questions :)

Thanks All!

The $US are accepted and change is given in Pesos. After a few transactions you will have both in you pocket. As with most locations your best exchange rate is with a credit card or bank exchange. Credit Cards are accepted in most larger retail stores.

Conversion is not really an issue. It mainly depends on how long you're going to be there and if ou want to even make it an issue. Coz is really hassle free. I focus on the diving and let my wife handle commerce.

Have a great time and you too can become a Coz junky.

Some credit cards companies charge to convert what you bought there, into dollars. Beware! My sister got a $50.00 convertion fee on her credit card after using it in Cozumel. She bought jewlery that was over $1000.00.
Call your credit card company and ask first.
I always US dollars. And most of the time they have US in their registers to give back to me in change.
If you do feel the need to convert your money, do it in very small increments.
:sunny: Have fun! Cozumel is one of my favorite places to dive.

Never been to Cozumel, but traveled a ton and lived in Mex.

Carry some $US, charge what ever you can on VISA (best exchange rate) and take Pesos out of a cash machine when you need a pile. (again best rate) Figuure out the exchange rate and pay what ever is best. Don't let it bother you if "money is no object". Have a good trip.

I hope to spend a month there this winter.

adios

Senor Camera,

Do not bother to convert--and avoid paying the fee in doing so--because dollars are accepted everywhere in Coz. You will have to remember the exchange rate at some point because you will be given change in pesos. Currently $1.00 US = 9.1 pesos or 1 peso = 11 cents US.

Lots of places have prices in both pesos and dollars, making calculating the exchange rate a piece of cake! Or enchillada if you are eating the local food!

Have fun and enjoy some of the best diving in North America!

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom