Monterey/Carmel wetsuit, boots and gloves advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hank harris:
But please understand, a wetsuit is far from a "waste of money." Having dove in many areas of the world, I can say that owning a wetsuit (even a 7 mm) makes sense. Especially for those of us who like to do long, multiple dives. Which is why many DM's in tropical waters opt for a 7mm wetsuit.

I'm headed to Coz in a month or so, and, given the dive profiles I am signed up for, would be fine in my 7mm (same thickness my DM there dives).

No, I didn't mean "waste of money" in that way. When I start buying gear, I will definitely invest in a wetsuit for locations other than the Bay Area (tropics, etc.). But I was thinking, like you wrote above, that if a diver is primarily going to do Monterey diving then the money spent on a wetsuit would be put to better use if it were stashed away in a savings account until enough was accumulated to purchase a drysuit. In the meantime, renting would have to do (for me anyway).

I hear you on the "budget" thing. This is an expensive sport, no way around that and unless you've got big bucks to toss around the "scrimping & saving" thing will always be a part of it. So, like you & dannobee mentioned, if it's going to be primarily MB then a drysuit is a no brainer. And since I can't afford to jet-set around the world on a whim I think I'll keep saving my $$ until I have enough to buy a drysuit and go 'rental wet' during the interim. {!!! shiver !!!}

Thanks to all for your thoughts on this topic. They're indispensible. Truly.

LuvDaOcean:
I read these same sentiments over and over and over from people who dive Monterey on a regular basis.

So, my question is, why doesn't everyone who dives Monterey heed this info and buy a drysuit in the first place? Why waste money on an expensive wetsuit when the majority end up going dry in the end?

I've spent nearly a year reading these forums and I'm still confused over the 'wet vs dry' issue among Monterey divers. Seems that all end up in drysuits at some time or another.

Can anyone help shed some light on this for me? :06:

Not everyone can afford a drysuit and not everyone wants to deal with the pain/money/time it takes to mantain them and keep them working dry.

A lot of wetsuit divers dive repetetively in Monterey (myself being one) and simply don't get cold as easily as others.

One problem for me is the body temperature issue. I sweat so hard and fast getting in a drysuit and standing around in one that by the time I hit the water it might as well be a wetsuit. Plus those neckseals, aaaaaugh those neckseals!!

A drysuit can end up being the single most expensive piece of gear one can buy. Sure, you can buy a decent one for $500 bucks but why stop there?? If you're going to spend the money to stay dry, wouldn't you just fork out the money for the best available? Now were talking closer to $1500-2000 when all's said and done.

I'd much rather spend that kind of money on photographic equipment, a cage dive with whites, or a DM class, etc...

But that's just one guy with one opinion.

Thalassamania:
It’s now thirty-three years later, and what I want to know now is do we have a workable hand signal for dangerous fish when you’re wearing three finger gloves? If we don't, don't worry about it. It's a hand signal you'll never need. When did you last see a shark at Pt. Lobos?

Great story, Thalassamania. Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

Okay, it's now thirty-three years later. So, when did you last see a shark at Pt. Lobos? :eek: :)

KelpCoasters:
A drysuit can end up being the single most expensive piece of gear one can buy. Sure, you can buy a decent one for $500 bucks but why stop there?? If you're going to spend the money to stay dry, wouldn't you just fork out the money for the best available? Now were talking closer to $1500-2000 when all's said and done.

I'd much rather spend that kind of money on photographic equipment, a cage dive with whites, or a DM class, etc...

But that's just one guy with one opinion.

I totally and completely understand what you're saying here. Most definitely valid points for the diver who, like you, can remain comfortable diving in a wetsuit and I envy you. But for people like me who go hypothermic just grabbing something out of my freezer.... well, I don't believe that any diving activity would catch my interest enough to spend money on (photography, etc.) if my lips were the color of blueberries and my limbs were about as useful as a corpse. :wink:

I truly do envy you your tolerance to the cold. I've always wished that I were more like that. Skiing gear, like diving gear is sooooo $$$$$$ as well. Took me forever to save up enough to buy the outerwear I have now for the sport, but it was worth it to me. I only freeze sitting on the lifts now instead of alllllllll dayyyyy longgggggg! :D

you are a colorful writer! Did you ever read carlos eryes "Silent hunter" ? I love that book--it is about freediving in that area, spearing black Sea bass, etc

LuvDaOcean:
So, my question is, why doesn't everyone who dives Monterey heed this info and buy a drysuit in the first place?

While my wife was saving for her drysuit, we had purchased a 7mm wetsuit. Here are the reasons that we went this route:

1. Fit. A wetsuit that you buy will fit better and you will stay warmer.

2. Convenience. We have every other piece of gear except for exposure protection. No need to run to the LDS on Friday to rent and Monday to return.

3. Cost. Rentals are $15/weekend. The Akona 7mm can be had for around $150 from various online vendors, and Aquan was selling the Oceanic Farallon 7mm for $100.

LuvDaOcean:
I think I'll keep saving my $$ until I have enough to buy a drysuit and go 'rental wet' during the interim.. {!!! shiver !!!}

Another option would be a layaway program. The shop that I assist with, California Dive Center, has a layaway program. It's pretty much like you're renting your own drysuit. Kinda nice actually.

I would really recommmend the Mares Trilastic gloves. Its got 5mm of neoprene on top for warmth, and 3 mm of neopreme for dexterity in the hands. Its a gauntlet style glove. It is very cool!

I dove Monterey for about a year in a wetsuit. It was a 1/4" farmer John & top. I didn't have any problem with it.

You asked about Pinnacle wetsuits... I dive a Pinnacle Elite 7mm (with the Merino wool lining) in Minnesota. Early season lake dives run about 50-52 degrees. Lake Superior runs in the 40's. I have no problem staying warm. There are quite a few divers using them up here. Some have even done their ice diving certification in them (~38 degrees or so). I bought it because it was the brand that fit the best, but I've had no complaints about staying warm and it's about the same temps you get in Monterey.

I sure wish I was back diving in Monterey. By far my favorite dive location.

I just returned from Monterey diving. Here is my report.

Equipment used: Bare Alpine 7mm, Bare thermalskin vest 3mm, Bare gauntlet gloves 5mm, Bare Neo socks. Boots were not Bare, but some cheapish 3mm. I originally ordered Bare cold water boots 7mm, but they were too big and I sent them for exchange.

1st dive: water temprature 50F at minimum, max depth 99 feet. At first water didn't even came inside the suit. I was completely dry, but after I descended, water came in. The water movement was minimal, and I only felt some water movement around the spine (that's where was some gap between the body and the suit). After all, 40 minutes dive I was completely toasty, like I was diving 3mm in tropics. Not cold at all.
My buddy was wearing some rental suit which was Neo Sport and consisted of 2 piece farmer John and bibbed hood. He said after the dive that he was very cold.

2nd dive: Same temperature, Max depth 69 feet. I was feeling some cold, but it was tolerable, also mainly around a spine. It was not toasty, but OK, I'd say refreshing. My buddy was wearing Xcel SGS Polar tri-density. 40 minutes dive. After the dive he said he was very cold first 10 minutes, after we started kicking faster and he heated up. My feets after the dive were a bit numb, I guess because of my boots. Palms were fine.

Donning and doffing was pretty easy, without any external help (me alone).

My verdict: Not bad at all, bravo Bare!

Back
Top Bottom