Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carmel River Beach - 25-30 vis a little surge shallow at the point. 50F Temp Huge bull sealion hung around for a couple of passes. slow circles around and posing... but of course no camera
Monastery South - 25-30 vis easy in and out still read 50F temp but it felt a bit colder

If anyone out there is diving Breakwater tomorrow (Sun) and could post a quick note on conditions, it'd be much appreciated - we have a Reef Check survey scheduled for Monday, and we like to have 10' of vis for our surveys, although we can get by with a little less. A friend of mine tells me the vis was "horrible" at BW this afternoon.

Thanks,
David

Perfect day yesterday (4/27) at North Monastery. Calm conditions and great vis, up to 50 or 60 ft. Our computers said 48 and 50 degrees, but it felt colder than usual!

Perfect day yesterday (4/27) at North Monastery. Calm conditions and great vis, up to 50 or 60 ft. Our computers said 48 and 50 degrees, but it felt colder than usual!

Ditto above for N. Monastery. S. Monastery same vis, NO surf in the corner.

Carmel River Beach (from the stairs). No surf in the corner, pretty good swell coming in with significant surge. Viz not quite as good as Monastery yesterday, but the surface was fully visible from 35'. Great day to get my buddy more comfortable with both swell and surge - neither a problem.

Epic conditions yesterday in Carmel on the Silver Prince.

First dive was at Mono-Lobo. Vis was ~50' horizontal (and could very clearly see the sun shining through the kelp on the surface from 60'. Amazing amounts of light in the 40' range made everything unusually bright and colorful.

I'm not actually sure where the 2nd dive was, but somewhere over on the north side of the bay. We ended up exploring around a pinnacle that rose from the 90' floor to around 60', although others went up on top of a wall to a shallower section at 40'. Slightly lower visibility (35-40'), but still very nice.

Both dives were very cold. Computers ranged from 46-50' which was rather brutal in a single 7mm. Oh well, worth it!

Dove breakwater and metriduim fields sunday.

The fields were about 50 degrees, with the vis getting better once you got down there, maby 10 feet. Going down the vis was almost zero which made the bottom very dark, I would recommend a light.

Second dive was around middle reef, temp was 53 and vis was about 5.

North Monastery today had 20ft vis in shallows and kind of milky. Out at the canyon around 50ft depth, vis was 30ft plus. Salp chains were out. Pretty good dive. Second dive was Breakwater pipes. Vis 5-10. Was shooting macro so had a nice dive. Water along the wall looked brown. Tons of little crabs in the water. Here is a link to a video of conditions. Water temp Monastery was 51 Breakwater 50. Flickr: davebaessler's Photostream

Shore dive at the beach just north of North Monastery. Parked at N monastery and used a wheel barrow to move geer down the trail. this arrangement worked quite well here, better than huffing the stairs from the residentail development via Ribera Rd.

Sunny but a stiff wind from the southwes tmade topside unpleasant. Surf between knee and waist, fin on entry. dropped just 40yds offshore to 35fsw and 30+ ft vis. Schools of blues. Went straight out to a deep (100fsw) reef I recall from previous dives at this spot. small lings and variety of rockfish including vermillions and occasional metrifiums Had some air leaking form somewhere so returned to shallower reef area and leaking stopped. While moving up encountered a school of little 2 inch silversides and enjoyed their sycronized dodges and darts with every exhalation I made. Remained at shallower reef exploring big rocks with numererous rockfish and small lings. Saw what I believe was a salp chain and a single moon jelly amongst the rockfish. Noticed looking up that the blues were flocking to my bubbles and getting into a feeding frenzy as if the bubbles were a food item. Never noticed that before.

Fin on, crawl exit. Wind was still howling so didn't linger topside long. took a scenic drive home thru pacific grove. Brought home some video footage and dinner. usaually i do one or the other but managed both on a single dive this time.

Ken Loomis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom