Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lobos today, 5/14: What had been of late "Lobos Lake" today had small rollers. Ramp remained easy, though. Cove was green and cloudy, maybe 5' - 10' viz a best. Some surge. Outside the cove was otherwise. 70'+ viz at Beto's Reef, 48 degrees and mild surge. Clear blue water, even below a cloudy sky. Plenty of scattered clouds at depth, though, in the form of pretty schools of little blues, recently come-of-age. Lots of true juvies still scattered about, aspiring to morph into pretty clouds. Lings, large lings, seemed to be everywhere. One of those special days at Lobos waiting beyond a dark and dreary cove.

Lobos today 05/18. Went from the launch ramp to Coal Chute Cove and visited the caves. Near the launch ramp = pea soup. At the sand channel and middle reef it opened up to 20-30 feet. At Coal Chute Cove, visibility had improved to around 40 feet with moderate to mild surge present through out the entire dive. Dive computer read 50 degrees, so it probably was around 45-47 degrees. Was very cold.

I arrived at Pt. Lobos very early (around 7:30 ish). Monastery Beach was calm with ankle to knee slappers. When I left in the early afternoon, a well timed entry was required. Exit would have required timing or crawling. The water had the blueish/turquoise color and looked extremely clear.

Two great dives at Lobos today. First to Hole in the wall and Lone Metridium, second in the same general area but we restricted max depth to 50 feet.

The kelp's pretty thick but there is a nice open path over the sand channel so the surface kick was fine.

Vis was 25-ish when we dropped in 30 to 40 feet of water but opened to 30 to 40 in deeper water. Various temperature readings. My computer, and my buddies, both read 44F for the first dive. My computer said 49F, and my analog thermometer 50F on the second.

There were lots, I mean lots, of small fish---juveniles, I assume---all over, some lingcod (one with a nasty wound on its forehead) and the usual assortment of invertebrates.

I had hoped to do the Coal Chute cavern but there was a good sized swell coming in. The second dive was pretty surgey.

Pics of the juveniles at Pt. Lobos PICT0379 small.jpg

Monday May 20th at Pt. Lobos.

Very calm conditions inside the cove. Significant kelp cover, with clear swim channels. Not a real problem if you watched where you are going. Mild swell outside the cove mouth with moderate (HITW), to strong-moderate surge (Coal Chute Cove/Cavern area).
Viz outside the cove about 35+, inside the cove 15. Temp read 48 for both dives.

There was a pod of dolphins playing in the cove all afternoon and we had a surface swim encounter with them and with a otter and her pup. I'd post the video but haven't figured that process out yet.

Anyone with eyes on Breakwater lately? Either that, or does anyone think I'm going to have a lousy dive @ Carmel River Beach tomorrow 5pm?

I dove Breakwater yesterday, 5/20, and it was 5 - 10 vis at best. (should have gone to lobos)

Decided to forgo diving today and the conditions of the ocean now is pretty dramatic.

I think you can forget about Carmel River Beach for Wenesday.

report from Glenn's Aquarius on Wed 5/22 was "awful, 3' viz and strong current" for breakwater.

Sounds like I made the correct decision to mountain biking in the Southern Sierra over diving this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom