Monterey Downlow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fastro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good morning all and Happy Holidays! I am moving back out to Monterey an d wanted to get a bit of info on the local diving scene. I lived in the area 6 years ago but was not a diver at the time. I will be in Monterey for the next 15 months and wanted to get recommendations on LDSs, and must see shore or boat dives, and any diveboats that operate out of the area. I appreciate any information anyone can provide!

I will add to it :)

I had the opportunity to dive in Monterey on two separate occasions. What is important to me is that divers in the area are very nice and friendly (and special mention to PacificGal!) and helped this out of town diver. In general I've seen several DIR (UTD/GUE) divers and instructors (esp. Don) being very accepting of non-DIR diver and not even close to what one hears about DIR in these neck of the woods.

DIR what? That is all a myth :wink: There are tons of people that dive around Monterey. Many of them are focused on team diving and being the best possible buddy they can, and use gear like backplates, long hoses and are consistent in their gear configuration. These are some of the friendliest, highly skilled, and safest divers you will meet.

When you are ready to go diving post up and ask for a buddy on a specific date. I am sure someone will respond. Unfortunately Monterey is a long haul for me, so we tend to dive the Sonoma coast more.

Have you dove cold water before? Are you diving a wetsuit or a drysuit? Shore diving might be a better option until you are comfortable with the ocean surroundings. There are some incredible dive sites around Monterey and Carmel. Google can lead you to a bunch of websites like shorediving.com.

I will add to it :)

I had the opportunity to dive in Monterey on two separate occasions. What is important to me is that divers in the area are very nice and friendly (and special mention to PacificGal!) and helped this out of town diver. In general I've seen several DIR (UTD/GUE) divers and instructors (esp. Don) being very accepting of non-DIR diver and not even close to what one hears about DIR in these neck of the woods.

You're so sweet, Iztok!:kiss2:

DIR what? That is all a myth :wink: There are tons of people that dive around Monterey. Many of them are focused on team diving and being the best possible buddy they can, and use gear like backplates, long hoses and are consistent in their gear configuration. These are some of the friendliest, highly skilled, and safest divers you will meet.

When you are ready to go diving post up and ask for a buddy on a specific date. I am sure someone will respond. Unfortunately Monterey is a long haul for me, so we tend to dive the Sonoma coast more.

Have you dove cold water before? Are you diving a wetsuit or a drysuit? Shore diving might be a better option until you are comfortable with the ocean surroundings. There are some incredible dive sites around Monterey and Carmel. Google can lead you to a bunch of websites like shorediving.com.

We need to dive again Peter? Its been too long! Hopefully my suit keeps me dry this time too.

Good morning all and Happy Holidays! I am moving back out to Monterey an d wanted to get a bit of info on the local diving scene. I lived in the area 6 years ago but was not a diver at the time. I will be in Monterey for the next 15 months and wanted to get recommendations on LDSs, and must see shore or boat dives, and any diveboats that operate out of the area. I appreciate any information anyone can provide!

Shameless plug...

I've very slowly been working on putting lots of info into my dive site for Monterey Diving. From site reviews and conditions info I am hoping to make it more of a resource for all.

Theres some info that's good there already, give it a look: Monterey Bay Divers • Home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom