Mooring Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MuddyFox

Reaction score
My scuba club has tasked me with investigating methods of installing moorings on our popular dive sites. We feel that moorings are friendlier to the reef than our current anchor system. Also, moorings on wrecks look to be safe as opposed to anchors which have proven themselves not to be.

I know that ScubaBoard is comprised of folks with diverse backgrounds, including dive industry professionals. I would like to get advice and opinions from those with experience in this area on how to go about installing mooring systems.

Questions:

-What is the best way to anchor a mooring on or near a coral head? Cement blocks, scrap metal, or other?

-What is the best way to anchor a mooring on or near a wreck? Plane wreck?

-Rope or steel cable? Would rope suffice should funds not be available for steel cable?

-Surface or sub-surface buoy?

Any other advice you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Check out this site : http://www.saveontarioshipwrecks.on.ca/

On the site you can see a diagram of thier bouy system. Don't be afraid to drop them a line either.

-What is the best way to anchor a mooring on or near a coral head? Cement blocks, scrap metal, or other?

In Ontario most of the bouys that I have seen use a cement block. Usually a large cement block.

Most often the achour block is close to the bow or stern of the wreck. (Sometimes, two are used at the bow and the stern.) A travel rope goes from the block to the wreck.

-Rope or steel cable? Would rope suffice should funds not be available for steel cable?

Mostly seen a combination of thick rope and chain. I Have seen some polypro rope used on occassion. Don't believe that I've ever seen steel cable.

Always on the surface.

I'm just going to tell you what has been done at a few sites out here in BC. I am no expert, just relaying what you would see if you came out here.

I have seen cement blocks used on numerous occasions out here... the odd time they will drill into the place (ie. reef &/or rock) and then cement it into place

Many of our shallow wrecks (up to 100ft) have the buoys anchored directly onto the deck of the ship. I can't speak about deep wrecks (ie. HMCS Saskatchewan) as I haven't been to them yet.

As mentioned above, I have only ever seen heavy chain link used.

Always seen surface out here... if for a boat dive make it easy for boats to moor to it so they don't drift either - just something to think about.

Hope it all works out, and I think its a great idea!!! Permanent moors and/or buoys are a great way to minimize our impact on the systems we love to use!!!

We create moorings by getting a fifty gallon drum and placing the mooring line and a short anchor attached to the line... then we fill the drum with cement. Then we dig a small hole in the sand where we want to put the mooring and then basically dump the barrel into the sand. Doesn't go anywhere.

We also use a large cardboard box in which we place a rebar lattice structure. We then fill that with cement and dump that overboard.

Muddyfox,

Contact the "Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary" Office in College Station, Texas. They have aquired a great deal of expertise with respect to installation of mooring in coral reef environments. Good luck!

MuddyFox once bubbled...
What is the purpose of the chain that attaches the cement base to the line in the following picture? Does this stop line chaffing?
Yes!

Don't forget the movement of the tides Muddy Fox.

There is no point in setting your buoy at the surface during a low, spring tide as you will never find it an any other tide as it will be submerged.

I was interested to note the small mooring buoy on your attachment diagram.

In addition, on some permanently marked sites I have dived on and on several shot lines, a second very small satellite buoy (attached to the main buoy line at the bottom of the upper chain) is useful to asses the state of the tide, if it is set right it only becomes visible on the surface during slack water (when the main line is almost vertical).

I hope you find this useful.

Sorry I cannot post a diagram.

Back
Top Bottom