Moral Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
A 13 year old boy drown yesterday when he tried to cut across a creek that feeds Lake Erie, and it happens to be one of my favorite spots to dive because there was an old fort there, and two shipwrecks, I try to go there at least once a week. They also recovered his body in that spot.

I'm not sure what is the right thing to do here, but would it be disrespectful to go diving there?

I don't want to be coming out of the water, and meet the mother who watched divers pull her son out. I don't want people thinking I'm down there, having something to do with it.

I just want to go look for my cannonballs, bottles, and junk.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, my heart goes out to the family.

I'm on the fence on this one. Any ideas what to do?

I would see first if people are still going to the site to grieve and if so, hold off on diving. At least for a while.

Hmmm, this one is a little special, the way you put it. I certainly commend you for caring, and for thinking of others feelings enough to think this far...

My brother helped pull a neighbor's pickup wreck off the front of a train, and the fellow we'd known all of our lives was still alive at the time, but we still drove that way every day. Kids die in swimming pools from time to time, but people go back in as soon as the pool reopens. This particular case, tho, might be one to give it a rest for a week or so...?

One opinion anyway. I'm sure you'll get more soon.

Lil' Irish Temper:
A 13 year old boy drown yesterday when he tried to cut across a creek that feeds Lake Erie, and it happens to be one of my favorite spots to dive because there was an old fort there, and two shipwrecks, I try to go there at least once a week. They also recovered his body in that spot.

I'm not sure what is the right thing to do here, but would it be disrespectful to go diving there?

I don't want to be coming out of the water, and meet the mother who watched divers pull her son out. I don't want people thinking I'm down there, having something to do with it.

I just want to go look for my cannonballs, bottles, and junk.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, my heart goes out to the family.

I'm on the fence on this one. Any ideas what to do?

You're showing respect for the accident victim by diving someplace else for a while, but you're not going to let someone else's incident take you out of your fav spot.

I think that's the mose sensative way to manage the situation.

Me? I'd be back there tomorrow because I'm pretty heartless. I wouldn't even be asking the question.

I'm sure the family is glad there are more of you and less of me out there.

---
Ken

I don't think it would be disrespectful. It is a tragedy but life does go on. Your question does, however, show that you are a good and moral person to have even thought about not diving there out of respect for his loss.

We don't drive on different roads when someone is killed in an accident. Go diving and put it out of your mind. If you let it stress you out it increases your risk for an accident and you becoming a victim.

If you can't relax at the site go elsewhere for your own well being.

Condolences to all involved.

Gary D.

As crappy of a town as Buffalo is the only thing anybody ever says about us when they visit here is "The people were really nice". The mear fact that you have to ask the question means somewhere inside you you know the right thing to do.

BTW, never knew that was a dive site, now your seceret is out. Maybe we should schedule a LED dive there sometime.

Ken

Al Mialkovsky:
Guess I'm heartless, I'd just dive.
Yep....Thats what I would do

But, as Warren says, if your concerned, wait a resonable amount of time to make sure there are nor greivers coming back. Also, keep the date in the back of your mind (date of death and/or recovery), because family frequently return on the anniversary.

I do have to commend you for thinking of the family in this matter. Not many would have given it a second thought.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom