More Bad News from United Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow Gill?! Could you not carry the light and computer in your roll-on? Damn that sux, hope they turn up. Here's a hint that has helped me in the past. Get the Cargo phone numbers of each airport desk involved, call, ask for manager, write down name, explain your situation, ask him/her to do a personal search and call you back. This can help when bulletins have been overlooked...

I've had a similar problem traveling with kiteboarding gear. You so much as whisper the word "board" to airline agent you will automatically slap you with fees--regardless of how much it weighs/size. American is the most lenient while United & USair are definitely the worst. As some of you noted, golf bags are exempt from these policies... There are few kite board companies that already make "golf bags" for kite gear. I travel with one of these:
Deceiver Kite Travel Bag - North Shore Inc
I've also used it to haul my dive gear; it's especially nice when I take my free dive fins.

I've had a similar problem traveling with kiteboarding gear. You so much as whisper the word "board" to airline agent you will automatically slap you with fees--regardless of how much it weighs/size. American is the most lenient while United & USair are definitely the worst. As some of you noted, golf bags are exempt from these policies... There are few kite board companies that already make "golf bags" for kite gear. I travel with one of these:
Deceiver Kite Travel Bag - North Shore Inc
I've also used it to haul my dive gear; it's especially nice when I take my free dive fins.

So what we need is a Golf Bag for Dive Gear! :D

I try to avoid flying United Anyways, which is odd because I have a United flight next week (i'm not paying for it though, and I don't have my dive gear :shakehead:)

This is an interesting exclusion...

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a second bag:

* Customers flying on flights not operated by United (UA / UAX / TED) on a ticket purchased through United
* Customers traveling on connecting flights where the first flight is not operated by United

The golf bag may not help....
All travel baggage (including but not limited to skis, golf clubs, boxes, suitcases, etc.) count toward your baggage allowance.

I kind of like the golf bag idea. I can put a lot of clothing into a golf bag and save my suitcase for my dive gear.

As for shipping
1)In January I sent 55 pounds of dive gear by FedEx Ground from CT to CA for $48 each way. As an over weight bag or extra bag it would now be $50-$100 each way. You do the math.
2) On the same trip I had a back up reg with air integrated computer and 10 watt Green Force HID light in one of my bags which was checked, total value of the gear was about $2,800. That bag is still missing and DELTA is taking 12-14 weeks to figure out what they will pay. But they do say that they do not cover computers and eletronics. So I have a feeling that they will not cover the $1,200 light and $900 computer and will want to give me a depreaciated value on the reg.
3) Insurance on FedEx pacakages is easy and cheep.
4) I sent the FedEx box of gear off 5 days before my flight and knew that it got there the days before I flew as I can track it by computer. DELTS says they don't know where my bag went missing as they can't track bags once they are in the system.

So, tell me - How do you think I will get all my gear to where I am going next time?

Not to mention the schlep factor. For years I just handed a few dollars to the people who carry bags, at every interval of the trip. Just got back from Cozumel & the guys with the hand trucks weren't inside by the baggage carousel. They were outside waiting but once we got the 4 big bags & 2 carry-ons moving, it didn't make sense to stop. On the way out, they were there & I made use of their expertise. In Newark, no baggage guys waiting at the curb. If this is a future tread I have to think how nice it would be to just carry on my regs & have everything else be there waiting for me. Not to mention the ability to track the bags instead of relying on the airline to figure out where my lost bag is and how much, if anything, is their responsibility.

Many years ago I worked for Continental Airlines with a bunch of other firemen, de-icing their jets. Sometimes when our shift was over they'd ask if anyone wanted to volunteer to do baggage. Since I was there to make money & they were paying de-ice wage to schlep bags, I volunteered more than a few times. In Newark, after your bag leaves on the conveyor belt, it goes to a looped conveyor, with each flight having one baggage handler. If you miss a bag, it comes around again. To get this wrong you would have to have been involved in a high speed - no helmet accident, yet bags go to wrong locations on a daily basis & THEY DON'T CARE.

I've had good luck with the Deceiver Bag, but I don't fly United or USair anymore. American Airlines has never given me a hard time, nor has Northwest. I've been harassed by Liat a few times but I think that has more to do with people from Dominica than it does with Liat as a whole.

I'm not understanding the golf bag use as a deception.

On at least several airlines, (maybe not all), they ask you to open the bag to look in and count the clubs with you. Why? Because they've had issues w/people claiming missing clubs. So they do a count and it got written on the bag ticket.

If they found non-golf stuff, I'd think they'd just say, "Hey, this isn't really a golf bag at all. It looks like a golf bag. But it doesn't smell like a golf bag." (Though actually, it might smell like a golf bag outbound, but on the way back, it'll probably smell like scuba gear.)

Hmmm. I wonder what would happen if you wore your BCD on the plane. Just say it's a super, super high tech windbreaker. Or that you're really afraid of flying and you brought you're own life vest you're going to wear the whole time. That's one security tape I'd love to see!

Scott

Get used to it guys. The golf club exception is well on its way out the door as well. If it is big, heavy, or both you will and should have to pay. I personally have no sympathy for any of you.

I have to admit, I don't know what you guys are hauling that gets you over weight. I just got back from a cave diving trip to Mexico, which means I had to haul doubles regs, a doubles wing, a backplate, a reel, two spools, two backup lights, a canister light and two batteries, the charger for it, my O2 analyzer, a voltmeter, my wetsuit and vest and Chuck Taylors, and Jet fins with spring straps, in addition to a reasonable allotment of clothes. I took one carry on bag. My checked bags were both about 30 lbs. What's using up all the weight?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom