More Deco Reading?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a good one by Doolette and Mitchell regarding inner ear DCS. Makes a case for 50/25 for long+deep dives.

Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/8179

I have a friend who had an inner ear hit at the O2 switch which makes me seriously doubt the IBCD arguments, its just rapid offgassing into the inner ear from the middle ear. Why those 2 tissues have such different gas loads -who knows.

AquaQuest: "DEEPER INTO DIVING, 2nd Edition" By John Lippmann & Dr. Simon Mitchell

Lippmann & Mitchell have a 2nd edition of their book, although this website currently lists it as unavailable.

There really isn't a whole lot of research going on into decompression theory, at least at the whole body level.<snip> there is very little money for the large-scale research projects that are required to evaluate things like decompression algorithms at different depths and times, or against one another.

Thanks Lynne. I'll look it up.

Powell mentions in his book that when "Big Oil" went to full saturation diving, most of the money for Deco research went away. Too bad.

Henrik

Here's a good one by Doolette and Mitchell regarding inner ear DCS. Makes a case for 50/25 for long+deep dives.

Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/8179

Mark Messersmiths talk on WKPP operations had some anecdotal support for some pretty dramatic increases in Helium content in deco bottles for the long-range teams (exploration, and deep support teams)

I've used 50% and 50/25 on some shorter dives (honestly just to see what happened plus to try to get the AL80 of 50% to float a bit better than a brick) and noticed no real differences except in my wallet (only a sample of about 8-10 dives between 3 people though)

From what I gather, the benefit probably comes when you're using more than one 70ft bottle. I could be el-wrongo, however.

Yeah, sounds about right. I will be sure to let you know after my next dive that requires 2+ AL80s of 70 foot gas.
We will be waiting anxiously.

That's my point. I don't really think it matters except on ridiculously long dives, esp when you already have 25% helium in your 120 bottle.

That's my point. I don't really think it matters except on ridiculously long dives, esp when you already have 25% helium in your 120 bottle.

Yes, I am in agreement. This seems to be a benefit on a vanishingly small number of dives (from a deco perspective)

I do think that NAUI uses it in some effort to reduce ICD (for even relatively shallow dives) but I am not an expert on their procedures.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom