Morrison Re-lining

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've written to the City of Barrie several times and have yet to get even a form-letter response.

We talked to someone from the city council last year who was just walking along the boardwalk one night and was told there were several ideas being considered for the site from stairs to roping off an area which would keep boaters out (which would likely meet some resistance from boaters who have and spend alot of money in the area so might well have more clout).

If contacting dive stores for assistance, since Scuba2000 uses the site only sporadically you might be better off approaching Colt Creek and The Dive Shop both in Newmarket, which are up there much more often. There's also Tim's in Barrie, but I am not sure how often they use this site for training.

I can't see being able to completely keep boaters out, but a "No Anchor" area, with large signs at the boat ramps and marina would be a reasonable solution.

For your blocks for the guideline. If you could knock together some cheap forms from plywood, you might find a local readymix operator who'd help. They regularly have trucks come back with concrete remaining that they have to dump. Many (most?) use it to pour those big rectagular blocks we see stacked on their property.

Hello

If you decide to go ahead with your line project on your own give me a Ping, I have a full welding and machines shop and can make you the hooks required to go into your cement forms. Also for rope, visit Princess Auto they usualy sell 600' of 1/2 yellow line for $7. Any blocks you create will have to be quite heavy so that they can't be moved, the existing building blocks seem to be moved in all directions every time I visit the Morrison. It was I who layed out the lines a year back from the boiler out to the end of the water discharge pipes beyond the wreck, they are still there slighlty hidden under the silt.

Amobeus :dazzler1:

Best bet would probably be the dive stores. Went up there a bunch of times last summer and everytime the DiveShop was there too. Didn't see any other's like Coltcreek. If you need help, PM me with the day you're thinking of going and I'll see if I can go...

Thanks again for all the replies. I 've definately seen The Dive Shop there pretty much every day of the week. I have his card here and will give him a dingle.

I do believe I've found the perferct form for these things though.

For those of you who've done forming you know of the sonoform (cardboard) forms used pretty much everywhere. Well apparently for the cardboard circular form there is a plastic base form that can attach to it that will give you a 12 inch diameter at the top and around 20 at the bottom. It apparently normally goes in at the base of the circular form to prevent pulling from frost. It also ends up being nice and rounded and smooth. Going to check them out today at the hardware store and see what the price is. I'll try and buy one to demo later tonight. It's dead simple and reusable though. The resulting block would be in the neighbourhood of 50 lbs vs around 12-15 for those existing cinderblocks.

Combine that with moving them to 20 feet apart vs 50 feet apart and you have around 10 times better resistance to movement.

I may be off on this but I've been told that concrete only retains about 2/3 of its dry weight when submerged. Maybe one of the commercial divers out there could correct me if I'm wrong here. We use this figure when designing the moorings and line systems for SOS Ottawa. When we lined the Kinghorn, we drove cedar stakes with grooves cut 1" below the top to hold the line into the bottom to wrap the line around. this way the line doesn't move and if it needs to be tensioned we just wrap it around the nearest stake a couple of times.

what about big bay point, does it have a line still?

Kevin Ripley:
I may be off on this but I've been told that concrete only retains about 2/3 of its dry weight when submerged. Maybe one of the commercial divers out there could correct me if I'm wrong here. We use this figure when designing the moorings and line systems for SOS Ottawa. When we lined the Kinghorn, we drove cedar stakes with grooves cut 1" below the top to hold the line into the bottom to wrap the line around. this way the line doesn't move and if it needs to be tensioned we just wrap it around the nearest stake a couple of times.

I think that they are going for a lining system like the Rothesay, as the majority of the divers would "touch" the line, rather than follow it.

Back
Top Bottom