Morrison Re-lining

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"what about big bay point, does it have a line still?"

First diver this spring will find out

Well, according to a quick google search on "density of concrete", (1.75 to 2.4 times that of water), and a bit of math, it'll weigh between 0.42 to 0.58 of it's dry-land weight.

Put me on the volunteer list to help rig this up though.

Jamie

My self and a few friends installed the lines at Big Bay point two years ago tying them down along the logs and to what ever we could lift bag over into line to aid divers to and from the cold dark depth. The white jug at the end at 80' was placed there as a turn around point for single tank divers who have gotten them selves in trouble beyond that point in the past, as Big Bay point has taken lives. I have no idea what its like today other than I heard that some one has installed a mail box at the beginning of the drop and a few toilet seats and ceramic dolls along the way. The problem is deep silty mud in lake simcoe and the best way to anchor line is either by 8' sand pegs that you screw deep into the silt that kind of look like an auger bit or by extremely heavy large concrete blocks based with lead or some other metal weight source. The line going from the dock to the slope is literally impossible to keep in tact as it always gets snagged by fishing line pulled up and cut.

Amobeus

Yeah, the weight of concrete in water is about half it's dry land weight (Talking effectiveness here, as I know it still weighs the same and has the same mass). The density of the gravel and the ratio of sand/gravel/cement will cause it to very a few % either side of half. I've seen a 3000 lb boat move a 2000 lb concrete mooring block. We used to find 2 or 3 V8 blocks chained together made a far better mooring. I can't see placing used engine blocks every few feet though.
Scrap metal (old tire weights are excellent) cast into it will increase the density.

What about something like old truck rims? They'd settle into the mud and hold well, just need to weld on a ring of some kind.

I'd also be willing to help place, will bring my own lift bag.

Old truck rims. Hard to flip. How to get 40 or so truck rims? Any environmental issues?

With regards to the 3000lb boat and 2000lb mooring block there's only so much we can do within reason to keep a line in place. We can't drop 2 tonne blocks every 30 feet unfortunately. It be nice though! Either way a boat is going to pull up the line every now and then but at least with a slicker system it would be easier to repair from time to time and would better serve beginners.

Anyone know anyone on Barrie city council?

d33ps1x:
Old truck rims. Hard to flip. How to get 40 or so truck rims? Any environmental issues?

With regards to the 3000lb boat and 2000lb mooring block there's only so much we can do within reason to keep a line in place. We can't drop 2 tonne blocks every 30 feet unfortunately. It be nice though! Either way a boat is going to pull up the line every now and then but at least with a slicker system it would be easier to repair from time to time and would better serve beginners.

Anyone know anyone on Barrie city council?

What about staking it in with steel 'pegs' ? I can easily whip up something eyelets cut out of say 1/2 steel plate 2-3-4 feet long, whatever it took, not sure how easy it would be to pound them in underwater thou.

With such a thick layer of silt, I don't think pegs (posts) will work very well.

As long as they were cleaned of any oil/grease, I don't see any environmental risk to rims. Not too many years ago trucks switch from split rims to tubeless and thousands of rims replaced. Ask at tire shops that service trucks. I may be passing a couple today and will stop in and ask if time permits.

If someone were to approach Barrie City council, I'd recommend promoting the "safety" aspect of new/better lines guiding the many new divers that dive the Morrison. I'd avoid trying to stop boats, as fishermen probably spend as much or more in Barrie as divers do. I would promote making it a "No Anchor Zone" in order to preserve the wreck. Not sure what would be required to get the CCG/CHS to mark it as such on charts (as if these little boats had charts).

Yeh i wasnt sure about it but was just an idea. On the other hand if custom eyelets to be attached to truck rims were required i could just as easily burn up some of them.

I still see a lot of older trucks using splitrims on the front wheels (the rules only applied to front steering wheels I think as they all use split rims on the drive and trailer axles still) Im thinking the rule was a grandfather clause applyin only to new rigs, or maybe a lot of people are just getting away with it. All our rigs use Alcoa ally rims on the front and have been since long before the rules came out so it never really affected us. Im not a truck driver thou so I dont really pay that much attention to the new rules. I could be offbase, I'm just going by what I see.

Too bad my boss would get upset if he saw a few ton of steel going out the backdoor as i bet 12 inch thick steel blocks with eylets welded to them would work a treat. A cubic foot of steel weighs approximately 450 pounds thou.

Groundhog246:
With such a thick layer of silt, I don't think pegs (posts) will work very well.

As long as they were cleaned of any oil/grease, I don't see any environmental risk to rims. Not too many years ago trucks switch from split rims to tubeless and thousands of rims replaced. Ask at tire shops that service trucks. I may be passing a couple today and will stop in and ask if time permits.

Steel scrap price is dropping finally - I could probably get you some big steel I beam for $0.08/lb, but you'd have to pick it up (it's too heavy for my car). It'd be cut to 3 to 7' lengths for you already.

Thick plate is harder to get as there is still a supply shortage.

I'm not in trucking either, so might be mistaken, but I thought they had banned split rims. Maybe they were grandfathered.

How much does the brake drum for a pickup or other larger vehicle weigh?

Back to the concrete from topic, plastic food pails from restaurants would make a fair size weight and probably enough taper to get the concrete out. They can be gotten cheap/free, certainly be cheaper than the footing forms from Home Depot.

Back
Top Bottom