Morrison Re-lining

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Groundhog246:
I'm not in trucking either, so might be mistaken, but I thought they had banned split rims. Maybe they were grandfathered.

How much does the brake drum for a pickup or other larger vehicle weigh?

Back to the concrete from topic, plastic food pails from restaurants would make a fair size weight and probably enough taper to get the concrete out. They can be gotten cheap/free, certainly be cheaper than the footing forms from Home Depot.

I made that suggestion a few posts back, I'm starting to get confused now, are we laying a line or a diver pulley system. I like the idea of divers building and designing shore dive sites for everyone to use.

When you get this one done, maybe we can get Boney to organize something for the Juno site in Bowmanville.

the wreck recieves a high volume of open water students/ new divers so a line strong enough to "pull and glide" will be needed other wise it will disapear really quick.

Tom R:
I made that suggestion a few posts back, I'm starting to get confused now, are we laying a line or a diver pulley system.
Close to your suggestion, but not quite I don't think. I thought you meant the cardboard buckets they sell the chicken in. I meant the 2.5 and 5 gallon pails that items like coleslaw and potato salad are shipped in. They're not allowed to send them back and re-use for food for fear they might have been used for something else in between that would be absorbed by the plastic.
I have a 5 gallon one here I use for cleaning my tropical fish tanks. It's 10" id at the bottom, about 11.5" at the top and about 13" high. Looking at it, if you had enough that you didn't need to reuse as forms, I'd put the "eye" for the rope through the side of the bucket, take the handle off and set the whole thing bucket and all on it's side on the bottom. According to this site http://www.allmeasures.com/Formulae/static/materials/11/density.htm it should weigh about 115 lbs and displace 50 lbs of water, for an effective weighting of 65 lbs.

Groundhog246:
I'm not in trucking either, so might be mistaken, but I thought they had banned split rims. Maybe they were grandfathered.

How much does the brake drum for a pickup or other larger vehicle weigh?

I wouldnt care to guess at exact figures but brake drums off a semi are bloody heavy i can say that :) theyd sink into the silt very well too I'd think. Once they're overly worn or cracked they just chuck them, only good for scrap.

I'll ask a driver bout the split rims as Im curious now but I thought they were totally banned too. I just happen to still see some. They do have to be inspected yearly now thou so I'd of thought they'd of all been yanked if it was the case.

None of that stuff will work unless it has heavy weight, at least 150 to 200 pounds making it impossible for any diver to remove or shift around. Car rims are round and to lite and can easily be rolled away unless they have a counter weight welded on one side. There is a stop sign just off of the morrison welded to a truck rim which has been rolled all over the bottom of the lake over the last 10 years and now I can't even find it any more. The best items to use are square or coned cement gravity blocks like the ones you see on construction site usually used to block driveways closed that average 200+ pounds and have the rebar ring at the top for lifting. Now realistically, You will need to get some one with a boat who is willing to drop your blocks or what ever you decide to go with along a path out to the morrison were divers can easily position them into place using a lift bag. If some one make the blocks or rim weights I will volunteer a zode and small tow barge to get the blocks out to the positions, this is much easier than lift bagging and dragging blocks out from shore all day.

Cheers

Amobeus

I think that we would want to lay the line fairly close to the bed so that anchor or fishing lines would not snag it
If we put new blocks down with eyelets in might be quite high
Just a thought!!

No matter what you do there is going to be anchor and line snags. monthly maintenance is a must on the guide line. Heavier gravity blocks will help keep the line straight at best.

Amobeus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom