Morrison Springs closed by County due to bacteria count until further notice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The water has the same bacteria count it did before the state parks with their agenda took over. I have dove there since like 1966 and you know what, no bacteria have killed me. This is an agenda of the nanny state. What a shame, I had planned to stop off there in mid June but if they close it every time warm weather blooms a few bacteria that place is dead as a dive site kinda like the Blue Hole at Itchetucknee, soon you guys will be closed out entirely. Shame.

So, would it still be legal to dive the spring from your own boat launched at some other access point? I used to come in with my Novurania Cancuro inflatable.

Bacteria, yawn, we are full of them, they are everywhere, on everything, in everything, everywhere, what's new.

N
I'm sure they're only concerned with covering thier tails! They got the water samples & results and made the public annoucement. Dive it like you want to from your boat and navicable waterways. I share your feelings! I've dived it since 1974 and never had an ear infection. Many of those dives was with the River up over the site and 6" ov vis. It was always a great cavern dive and no crowd! <(-:}
Kenny P.

When we were there in March the drains to the new restrooms were stopped up and raw sewage was standing all in the floors. We could not go in there. Wonder if there is a sewer issue from the new improvements causing the bacteria problem?

Used to swim the Choctawhatchee up here in Alabama. After a good rain, or if you're timing was good, you could smell the chicken crap discharged from the chicken houses. Sorta like seafoam on top of the water... but w/o the nice salty smell. :D

Often times when the river went back down, the bacteria infested water would get caught up in natural holes formed in the river rock. In the summer it would heat up and I swear you could see the bacertia multiplying...

I was going somewhere with this ramble.

Oh! Yeah - Swam the Chocta many times as a kid and never once got an ear or sinus infection. Can't say that about lakes that people do their water sports in. Hell, Im sure the Chocta is a good deal cleaner than the gulf water during last year's red tide. One could smell the grand lagoon at PCB as soon as he/she crossed the Flora/Bama line! Dead fish littered the beach... Did they close the water off? Not that I can remember. In contrast, the Chocta goes up a little bit and the county freaks out.

I bet their precious boat ramp won't close. :shakehead:

When we were there in March the drains to the new restrooms were stopped up and raw sewage was standing all in the floors. We could not go in there. Wonder if there is a sewer issue from the new improvements causing the bacteria problem?
Same deal when we were there around the same time. We changed in the woods, just like in the old days. I hope they will have a full time attendant but is unlikely in this economic climate.
Thanks,
Kenny P.

Bacteria my aXX.

N

The water has the same bacteria count it did before the state parks with their agenda took over. I have dove there since like 1966 and you know what, no bacteria have killed me. This is an agenda of the nanny state. What a shame, I had planned to stop off there in mid June but if they close it every time warm weather blooms a few bacteria that place is dead as a dive site kinda like the Blue Hole at Itchetucknee, soon you guys will be closed out entirely. Shame.

So, would it still be legal to dive the spring from your own boat launched at some other access point? I used to come in with my Novurania Cancuro inflatable.

Bacteria, yawn, we are full of them, they are everywhere, on everything, in everything, everywhere, what's new.

N

I doubt the "bacteria police" are going to be there stopping you.... so just dive

as for bacteria, about any time I've been in Pennekamp in past years they've always had bacteria signs up on their beaches also.... :shakehead:

I think this is the part of the spring they sampled (scientific sampling process no doubt!):

030709m1.jpg

030709m2.jpg

Sorry to sidetrack but in a few weeks when I pass through on my ways to the Keys, there is no park ranger storm trooper there checking cards, non existent buddies, counting bacteria, no locks on gates? I have not been to Morrison since the development. I am not bringing a boat or yak this trip, just tossing some gear in the Jeep and making a fast two week run through Flaridah. Dive Number Last is usually Morrison to get rid of the salt but??? Headed to the Gold Coast for some beach diving and then a drift in West Palm and then on down to the Spiegal Grove or whatever interests me. N

No storm troopers, nobody checking for buddies, but there are locks on the gates at Morrison.

Oh, and FWIW, I dove Blue Hole on the Itch earlier this year and it has a beautiful cave system :)

Typical government control.... about the only thing I have found that 'any government' agency can do well is with the Military, and they even &*()%# that up as well...

Back
Top Bottom