Morrison Springs closed by County due to bacteria count until further notice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is the scene me and my nephew saw when we were there. Very sad so early on in the new park existence. Thanks for the pics.
Kenny P.

No storm troopers, nobody checking for buddies, but there are locks on the gates at Morrison.

Oh, and FWIW, I dove Blue Hole on the Itch earlier this year and it has a beautiful cave system :)

So, if there are locks on the gates it is closed or open for diving? N

No storm troopers, nobody checking for buddies, but there are locks on the gates at Morrison.

Oh, and FWIW, I dove Blue Hole on the Itch earlier this year and it has a beautiful cave system :)

Yes it does and I have been there many times all through it. As well, a few years ago I snuck in and dove through the chimney down to about 90 feet on a 19 cf pony stuck in my weight belt. But, the access is so limited these days most people will not get in, doesn't matter to me, I suppose. There is a shot I would like to get again, one I did with my Nikonos but cannot seem to find the slide, looking up through the hole. Guess I will have to sneek back in. N

Nemrod, this is what I think happened.

before the construction project the county sheriff deputy used to unlock the gate every morning I think.

when they were doing construction the county parks took over the locks with construction crews coming in.

after construction, I don't know that they got the "unlocking schedule" transitioned back to early morning openings by the sherrif 's deputies....

(I think that's what happened..... someone correct me if I'm wrong....)

Yep those pics are what we saw too. We went during the first two weeks it reopened. If a lift station is not working or something it is possible this mess is getting into the springs. With the current there we experienced though I guess it would wash on out. Thanks for the pics. Kenny we changed in to dive trailer but went behind the sea wall for our nature breaks.

Yes it does and I have been there many times all through it. As well, a few years ago I snuck in and dove through the chimney down to about 90 feet on a 19 cf pony stuck in my weight belt. But, the access is so limited these days most people will not get in, doesn't matter to me, I suppose. There is a shot I would like to get again, one I did with my Nikonos but cannot seem to find the slide, looking up through the hole. Guess I will have to sneek back in. N

Its open to diving in the wintertime. You have to have atleast a cavern card and sometimes the rangers want to inspect your gear for foriegn plantlife. Its closed the rest of the year to allow the eel grass to replenish or something like that..?..

Its very open to diving, seasonally though. Getting 90' deep in that hole would require going down a bedding plane cave restriction, a breakdown restriction called the Diamond Sands restriction, and several hundred feet of cave... You'd never make it with just 19cf, sure you're talking about the same cave?

http://www.tampadiving.com/sections/diving/cave_systems/media/jug/jug_map.jpg

Its open to diving in the wintertime. You have to have at least a cavern card and sometimes the rangers want to inspect your gear for foreign plant life. Its closed the rest of the year to allow the eel grass to replenish or something like that..?..

Its very open to diving, seasonally though. Getting 90' deep in that hole would require going down a bedding plane cave restriction, a breakdown restriction called the Diamond Sands restriction, and several hundred feet of cave... You'd never make it with just 19cf, sure you're talking about the same cave?

http://www.tampadiving.com/sections/diving/cave_systems/media/jug/jug_map.jpg

Yes, thank you, since I don't log dives I sometimes get them confused, it could have been 60 feet but I remember 90. You would probably be surprised to see how long I can make 19 cf last when I need to make it last. The Blue Hole at Itchetuckee is the one I am talking about. Yes, I am aware that it is open sometimes in the winter, if I lived down there and maybe I will sooner or later again then I would get on that for sure.

Once dropping through the hole you come out in a cavern that hits bottom about 32 feet, there is a opening on I think the north side but I recall it dead ends. Heading south, yes, there is a restriction, lol, and some swift current from the entrance on the south side that transitions into the cave system. Thing is, in a Speedo, a 19 cf tank stuck in my weight belt, I can go places a regular rig, even a sidemount has difficulty. I do bounces to 100 to 130 on my 19 all the time surveying my sidescan returns, yeah, 19 cf is plenty. Whatever depth that restriction is, that is where I was. BTW, I have been through it and into the cave system, it is tight. Names change since the 70s but I think we are talking about the same place, in those times we thought we were doing good to get through into the cave system, take a look and then get out. I think that cavers have now done extended explorations.

The regulator I used is a Mk V clone with a Sea Turtle Air Buddy, button spg, that is all. I skip breathed, essentially using the 19 to make an extended breath hold dive. My watch was on my wrist, a depth guage was Velcroed to the 19cf. That is all I had since I was in stealth mode, March/April 2005. A cold front had come through, it was windy and very cool and I was the only person in the spring. I knew the ranger would come check on me so I tossed my 19 into the water and waited for him. When he showed up and watched me snorkel a minute and came down to the platform and asked me how I liked it I told him it was beautiful. I was getting cold so I did not talk anymore than I needed to so he would go away, once I saw him head off to were two kayakers were hanging on the rope/net that blocks the entrance to the Blue Hole from the run I figured I had my window, I hyperventilated and headed down. I grabbed my 19 and my belt with 4 lbs and down I went, duration was about 5/6 minutes. When I came back out I dropped my 19 and surfaced to look for the ranger. Did not see him so I went back, got my tank, climbed out and wrapped it in my beach towels and stick it and them into my snorkel bag. Just as I headed up the walkway here he came to harass two more snorkelers headed to the Blue Hole, made it just in time. I waved and went straight to my truck, my heart was racing, I felt like 007 on a mission. As I have said before, safety is way over rated. :no: . I had already been banned the year before from Florida State Parks for being in the water when a manatee decided to come into the head spring at Manatee State Park, their sign said 100 feet from a manatee, manatees cannot read and neither can the rangers because they were telling me it was 100 yards. When I showed them the sign they had a conniption fit and banned me for a year, oh well. I miss the old days. N

Yes, thank you, since I don't log dives I sometimes get them confused, it could have been 60 feet but I remember 90. You would probably be surprised to see how long I can make 19 cf last when I need to make it last. The Blue Hole at Itchetuckee is the one I am talking about. Yes, I am aware that it is open sometimes in the winter, if I lived down there and maybe I will sooner or later again then I would get on that for sure.

Once dropping through the hole you come out in a cavern that hits bottom about 32 feet, there is a opening on I think the north side but I recall it dead ends. Heading south, yes, there is a restriction, lol, and some swift current from the entrance on the south side that transitions into the cave system. Thing is, in a Speedo, a 19 cf tank stuck in my weight belt, I can go places a regular rig, even a sidemount has difficulty. I do bounces to 100 to 130 on my 19 all the time surveying my sidescan returns, yeah, 19 cf is plenty. Whatever depth that restriction is, that is where I was. BTW, I have been through it and into the cave system, it is tight. Names change since the 70s but I think we are talking about the same place, in those times we thought we were doing good to get through into the cave system, take a look and then get out. I think that cavers have now done extended explorations.

The regulator I used is a Mk V clone with a Sea Turtle Air Buddy, button spg, that is all. I skip breathed, essentially using the 19 to make an extended breath hold dive. My watch was on my wrist, a depth guage was Velcroed to the 19cf. That is all I had since I was in stealth mode, March/April 2005. As I have said before, safety is way over rated. :no: N

:confused::shakehead::confused: Sorry I couldn't help myself.

:confused::shakehead::confused: Sorry I couldn't help myself.

You may not can but I don't use your rule book.:shakehead:.

Anyways, thanks for the info on Morrison, will put it to use in June. Maybe even hit Itchetuknee again just to irritate people. If you are at Morrison mid June and come across a guy with a 19 cf stuck in his weight belt, a big knife and no regulator, just a breathing tube, at the back of the cavern, that would be me, stop and wave.

Stop, go no further, there is a similar sign in the Blue Hole:

IMG_0047.jpg

Death is the hunter that stalks us all:

Angel_of_Death.jpg

N, maximum minimalism

Last edited:
I have no doubt you've bounced down the cavern and into the next room with the bedding plane(maybe even to the other side of that). I'm just saying it would take anyone significantly more gas to get to 90' in that cave as its several hundred feet in. I've been through the cave there :) all the way to where the line ends. Its not something you can do with a limited gas supply(atleast and not make it back out). Alot different than a 130' bounce.

I just figured I'd point that out incase we were both talking about different cavern/caves.

Don't kack yourself in there, they'd likely close down the whole damned thing to everyone. The reprecussions usually extend way past just the person dead on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom