Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess its better than the site simply being closed down for good...

The boardwalk deal, especially if it reaches out over the boil, will really take away from the natural state of the site.

The boardwalk deal, especially if it reaches out over the boil, will really take away from the natural state of the site.

Maybe they'll fix it up nice like they did at Little River.

Well at least I can say I dove it before they messed with it.

Your absolutey correct. IF the board walk reaches to the "boil", it WOULD detract from the natural state. However, since that'd be nearly impossible and mostley pointless, I dont think we should worry :rofl3:

Really though, boardwalk around the spring + concrete everywhere = Vortex. Well, minus the boardwalk, and concrete everywhere, but yall get my point... right? :D

Maybe if they start charging a small fee, we wouldn't have to trip over inbred degenerates while trying to get into the water in the warmer months. Even better, make it a Florida State park and the florida state park year pass will get you in. (as well as St Andrews of course) I believe Florida is purchasing a couple hundered acres around the spring (ill find a source for that), so making it a St Park isnt totaly off the wall.

Governor, Cabinet's Vote Protects Morrison Spring - 03/30/04

Oh, thanks for looking for me Tom. I guess once the water goes down some lucky construction worker will get it... Once they figure out what it is :D

How can they ever improve on this...
Getting more boaters into the area is going to destroy this enviornement.
:monkeydan

Attachments

• Morrison's Springs.jpg
    Morrison's Springs.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Morrison's Springs 2.jpg
    Morrison's Springs 2.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 206
  • Morrison's Springs 3.jpg
    Morrison's Springs 3.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Morrison's Springs 4.jpg
    Morrison's Springs 4.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 215
I'm concerned about all that paved parking. Pavement means runoff rather than soaking into the ground as with a gravel parking lot.

I'm sure the facilities will be "nice" and "worth it" but I always hate seeing the primitive charm of natural sites lost when somebody decides "improvements" need to be made and calls in a hundred concrete trucks and backhoes.

Your absolutey correct. IF the board walk reaches to the "boil", it WOULD detract from the natural state. However, since that'd be nearly impossible and mostley pointless, I dont think we should worry :rofl3:

According to one of the links you posted, they intend for the boardwalk to reach the boil... :/ :mooner:

I can't believe this, the thing that has always attracted me to Morrison is its natural beauty. Aesthetically, a concrete boat ramp will be awful, and given the fact that there is another very close downstream its downright pointless. Theres no doubt that there will be increased boat traffic as well after its installed. Don't even get me started on the boardwalk idea...whats the need anyways? When its all said and done, I hope it still looks like this when its over. If not, you'll never see me there again.

this picture speaks for itself....

Attachments

• IMG_2043r.JPG
    IMG_2043r.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 220
Quite the opposite. The county has recieved large (either fed or state, can't remember which) grants to immprove the facilities.
One man's trash is another man's treasure, I suppose, but it has been my not so humble observation that 90% of bureaucrat driven "improvements" are just the destruction of what was already nearly perfect. Cutting down old growth hardwoods and "The boardwalk will begin at the parking area and go to the swim area, around the wetlands adjacent to the spring and to an observation deck over the boiling spring."

:shakehead:
Rick

Here is a list of the new Walton County park rules. Notice that it says there will be no vehicles in the park area. That means no close access to the water for scuba gear.

2269541WP1130028.JPG

Here is the new parking lot which is about 100 yards on the right before you get to the old gate.

2269542WP1130030.JPG

Here is the old wall area the trucks are where the pavilion used to be.

2269543WP1130020.JPG

Obviously something is going to be here. The spring is to the right.

2269544WP1130019.JPG

Obviously they are going to build something out over the water to need this barge crane.

2269545WP1130018.JPG

Back
Top Bottom