Morrison Springs Report 7-13-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I made it over to Morrison Springs today under partly sunny skies. The water gauge was reading at 2.9 and the water clarity was great. You could almost see completely across the basin from one side to the other. Although, I think I could have seen all way across if it had been a perfectly sunny day. We got there early and beat the crowds, with only one other team of two in the water when we got there.

I felt pretty good after such a long out of the water. I dove my sidemount gear to start getting my skills back up to take an intro class fairly soon. I left my wife at the log and went down and poked my head into the cavern and shined my light around. I wanted to go in so bad, but since I didn't have a buddy that could go in I just shrugged and went back up. On the way back up against the flow I definately felt rusty. I had to hold onto that rope to keep my bouyancy. I definately need to get back there very soon and work on maintaining my bouyancy against the flow without using my hands. After about 50 minutes into our dive I noticed it was getting dark. We surfaced with an hour dive time to dark clouds, rain, and thunder. The bad weather didn't seem to deter the 15 or so divers that had just arrived, but we were cool with our one dive and didn't want to push our luck with the weather and called it. On our way back to Pensacola we stopped by the Chautauqua Vineyards Winery in Defuniak. The wife sampled a few of the wines and we brought home several bottles. Definately a nice day and good to get back in the water once again.

Last edited:
It's about time! Glad to see you're back in the water again. Don't be too hard on yourself about the flow in Morrison. It's pretty significant and not easy to handle. I don't know if you think you'll be ready in mid-August, but I have an Intro/Basic course on the calendar with another sidemount diver in it if you're interested.

Great report Walter. Glad your back in the water.

Back
Top Bottom