Moving to Atlanta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robjcamb,

Welcome to ScubaBoard and to Alpharetta, GA.
Let me know when you get here and I'll introduce you the the finest Irish pub in the area.
I live in the Alpharetta area.

Come dive with us !!!

the K

Well the immigration guys at the airport finally let me in after much grumbling! Now I just need to get the customs people to let me have my diving kit back... so how about I buy you a beer and you tell me where's good to dive!? I can probably bore you with stories of just how cold and miserable diving in the UK is too. Sound like a good offer?

Rob

I'll take ya up on it, my friend !!!

Just let me know a good day and time . . .

the K

I'll take ya up on it, my friend !!!

Just let me know a good day and time . . .

the K

What you up to this evening around 8? Or tomorrow? Or next week sometime. Any time is good at the moment! You got a number? I've got a shiny new mobile on 404-579-4335 if you want to make a date :)

FYI, our LDS will be starting charters out to Grays Reef soon. I will let you know as soon as I get a schedule! I would love for you to enjoy the beauty here in Savannah! We have the best pub for fish and chips! Plus, y'all are welcome to stay at my place instead of paying for accomadations!

Happy diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

Rob

I'm planning on hitting the quarry at Pelham on Sunday. Care to come along? I'll be leaving Alpharetta around 6:30 am, getting back around 8 pm. I'm diving dry which I recommend if you can, expect water temps in the mid-low 50's (f).

Hello all. I live in Alpharetta and my DD, DS and I just got OW certified this past weekend at Ginnie Springs and Blue Grotto. DH has been certified for 30 years.

I'm getting a little concerned as this may not be the sport for me since I was cold at the springs in a 5mm wetsuit and a beanie.

We are going on a cruise in July to the Caribbean and didn't want to buy something heavier than the 5mm.

Debbie

Hello all. I live in Alpharetta and my DD, DS and I just got OW certified this past weekend at Ginnie Springs and Blue Grotto. DH has been certified for 30 years.

I'm getting a little concerned as this may not be the sport for me since I was cold at the springs in a 5mm wetsuit and a beanie.

We are going on a cruise in July to the Caribbean and didn't want to buy something heavier than the 5mm.

Debbie

I wear a 5ml or 6ml regularly in the springs and offshore, but I also wear a 5ml hood! The water I dove offshore in Jupiter FL was 74F and comfortable. If you get chilled easily, you might look into a semidry wetsuit and/or a thicker hood. Or, you might just try different options before dumping the sport all together. Some people wear a vest/hood combination under their wetsuit to keep their core warmer. Gloves also help.
For the dives in the Caribbean, you might be warmer than you think in the 5ml. But the beauty of the sport is there are many options. Finding your comfort zone takes dives and working with your LDS to assist in the right gear choices for your needs.

Good luck!

Debbie

If you were doing an open water checkout, then you probably weren't too active.
People get cold in 81 degree temp pools when doing confined water work for the same reason.

Believe me, it wasn't you, you just needed a bit more neoprene.

Different people have different tolerances to the cold.

Springs are generally considered as "cold" water for most divers.

By the way, a hearty "WELCOME !!!!, Debbie" to ScubaBoard.com

We hope you will become and active and valuable member of the board . . .

A diving FAMILY . . . that's what we love to see here.

And as always . . .

Safe dives . . . . . . . .
. . . and safer ascents!

the K

I wear a 5ml or 6ml regularly in the springs and offshore, but I also wear a 5ml hood! The water I dove offshore in Jupiter FL was 74F and comfortable. If you get chilled easily, you might look into a semidry wetsuit and/or a thicker hood. Or, you might just try different options before dumping the sport all together. Some people wear a vest/hood combination under their wetsuit to keep their core warmer. Gloves also help.
For the dives in the Caribbean, you might be warmer than you think in the 5ml. But the beauty of the sport is there are many options. Finding your comfort zone takes dives and working with your LDS to assist in the right gear choices for your needs.

Good luck!

I second what Carolyn says. Also, consider a bibbed hood rather than a beanie. you can stuff the bib portion into your wetsuit. not only keeps your neck warm, which makes a big difference, but helps reduce/eliminate flushing of water in and out of your suit at the neck.

FWIW I dove a 3mm suit in Bonaire last year and was getting chilled on my dives by the end of the week. I have dove water down to the mid 50's wet and I dive a 7mm in the springs (when I'm not diving dry). Its all about selected the proper equipment for the environment you are in! Oh, and gloves make a HUGE difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom