Muck Stick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks there are very few photographers in this thread... I have unfortunately seen (and was a victim of) much more divers with poor buoyancy skills without a muck stick than carrying one.

YES ! i know what you mean,seen it all too ! and photographers and non photographers a muck stick can be very useful for many reasons

I can understand why the dive guide carries one for pointing or as a tank banger. Unfortunately many divers are using it as an "anchor"!!!

I not only use one on every dive, I make them. And, I have excellent buoyancy skills, thank you very much.

As a photographer, there are times when you are looking through the viewfinder really concentrating on your subject. I do most of my shooting while hovering, but I see many photogs who lose track of what their fins are doing while working. To be able to either place the tiny tip on a piece of dead coral to balance on or to gently push it into the sand can save a lot of damage. Also, they can help you in current and surge. I have also used it as a monopod for my camera.

I believe that they save the reef, with responsible use, and wish more people would use them. However, I do get really aggravated when people pose or harass animals with them. That is not their intended use, IMO. Mine are made of fiberglass making them much lighter for travel. And, banging on a tank is much less noisy with them than the metal ones.

2114262034_c642ca3a1a_o.jpg

And, personally, if people with horrible buoyancy skills can use them to keep them from bashing the reef, more power to them. You and I know there will ALWAYS be people who will never have good skills, no matter how much they practice. A sand spike will save FAR more than they could possibly damage.

Don't carry them on every dive, but any dive where I will be shooting macro on silt or in current - absolutely. The idea that anyone has enough boyancy control to take a macro shot in current while trying to back kick or be sideways to the current is just silly. With a stick I can often anchor it on a piece of rock or dead coral and position myself to take the shot. Without it would simply not be possible. Yes I could pass on the shot, but with the stick it becomes doable with no damage so why not????

Completely agree that I would rather see someone with bad skills use one to at least try to stay off the reef than not use one and bash it up or silt the place out.

I do like the idea of putting it in my sleeve - will have to try that. Managed to put a very large dent in the meaty part of my hand between thumb and finger with one. Had it clipped to a chest d-ring sat down in a panga with full gear - hand on the boat and muck stick point into hand. A very dull point but it still hurt quite a bit (understatement :)). Was # 3 on the things that went wrong getting ready for the dive so called it. Still have the scar.

Looks there are very few photographers in this thread... I have unfortunately seen (and was a victim of) much more divers with poor buoyancy skills without a muck stick than carrying one.

I agree with Luko, if you are not a photographer, you probably won't get it. Finning to steady oneself is NOT an option in Lembeh. If you have excellent buoyancy skills, and you think muck sticks are for those who don't, try looking though a viewfinder on 105mm lens with a 10+ magnifier attached while holding a large camera housing with two strobes attached and you will see just how little your buoyancy comes into play. The SLIGHTEST (I'm talking millimeters) movement and your subject flies out of the frame.You simply can't hover in the water column and take good super macro images. If you do not have a way of steadying yourself, you don't have a shot. Lembeh will continue to be most popular with photographers. Muck sticks and tripods and other safe, reasonable means of steadying oneself will continue to be uses by the best photographers in the world. See those nice shots in magazines and books taken at Lembeh? Most likely they used a muck stick to achieve that result.

Last edited:
So, THE BEST thing about a muck stick is that it allows you to maneuver/pivot around a small area without using your fins at all. You just stick the muck stick in the sand and use your arms to position yourself. You can use it to propel yourself off of the sand when you are finished looking at something and this greatly reduces the amount of silt being stirred up. If you are careful this will have very little impact on the environment....

If you are not using a muck stick in Lembeh, do everyone else a favor and ALWAYS be aware of your fins. Better yet stay 5 feet above the sand so you don't accidentally kick up silt. It is MUCH easier to do than you think.

Agree that "muck sticks" (as in this thread) are nearly necessary when diving in muck for anyone that want's to get close and see the critters without creating a cloud. A stick so one doesn't need to fin and controlled buoyancy to rise up away from the muck when finished will keep the area clean & critters from getting buried in the muck when the diver departs.

Managed to put a very large dent in the meaty part of my hand between thumb and finger with one. Had it clipped to a chest d-ring sat down in a panga with full gear - hand on the boat and muck stick point into hand. A very dull point but it still hurt quite a bit (understatement :)). Was # 3 on the things that went wrong getting ready for the dive so called it. Still have the scar.

I've been calling these sticks "diver killers" for many years. In the past we used those expandable radio antennas for pointing to critters. Now we use these unbendable metal or fiberglass sticks for pointing out critters and stabilizing in muck - these are dangerous. I'm terrified that one of the guests on my trips (maybe me) will be injured on the dive deck, dive tender or when back-rolling into the water - stabbed with one of these sticks!! Every day on my trips I'm moving sticks on the dive deck so someone doesn't run into them. Divers tend to keep them clipped to their BCD when not in use, so a stick is often poking out into an area where people are walking and potentially falling! I've seen people with sticks in a sleeve stab themselves in the arm.

Couple of suggestions.

1. Everyone using a "diver killer" stick should be very careful with it! I won't try to go through all the possibilities for accidents - should be common sense, except to say that it should be somehow controlled (held in hand? attached to camera rig?) when backrolling into the water so it doesn't accidentally stab it's owner or the owner's neighbor.

2. Sticks with a big loop on the end or rubber/plastic handle are easier on the hands and have one end that won't puncture a diver.

---------- Post added January 10th, 2013 at 10:20 AM ----------

2. Sticks with a big loop on the end or rubber/plastic handle are easier on the hands and have one end that won't puncture a diver.

Googled images and found sticks for sale on eBay with rubber handles. Free shipping in USA, $15 per. Scuba Diving Tool Muck Stick. Quote the listing:

"This tool is make of 1/4" 304 stainless steel, (not aluminum like the ones from over seas) and has a stainless steel split ring in the soft rubber handle for easy attachment to your gear. Bang this tool on your tank to get your dive buddy's attention or use it to poke under rocks. It can also be used to keep you away from reefs and other protected objects. The tool is approximately 13" long. This tool is made by divers in the USA for divers and is a great addition to any SCUBA gear set up. If you want to purchase large quantities of tank bangers, email me for pricing at scubatankbanger at gmail dot com. Custom lengths are also available-email me with your requirements. Since these are made here in the USA, if you live in the USA, you will have it in 2 to 3 days-we ship quick."

I don't know the seller, have not purchased one, but looks worth a try. I'm ordering now.

We need new diver killers since a couple of guests in 2011 "accidentally" had 2 sticks fall into a dive bag when they left the ship. One belonged to a dive guide and the other to my assistant - really difficult for them to fall when attached with a clip to their BCD's :crafty:). They were the best sticks on the ship, one extra long with a rubber handle, the other stainless steel looped into a circle on one end. The dive guide's custom-made stick was seen diving with the guest in Bali by one of his co-workers - that's how we know where the sticks went!

^^^agree with the above.

I don't like that stick, though. Almost all my diving requires long travel and weight restricted baggage. I cut handles off tooth brushes and such silliness just so I can carry the filter, or lens. That stick, being Stainless steel with a huge handle is way too heavy for the traveling diver, IMO.

I am so glad to have the stick users finally chime in.

LOL on the "disappearing" sticks!! Every time I go on a dive trip, I carry a bunch of extra sticks of mine. I sell them to the other divers on the boat, with the gratitude of the dive crew, and give others as a small part of my tip to the DM's.

I agree with Luko, Magrone, Allison Finch and Darnold9999. We did have a cruise director many years ago that whacked a guy in the legs with his muck stick because he thought his buoyancy skills were lacking!!! I thought there was a better way than that to educate him on his finning skills( or lack of )!

Back
Top Bottom