Multiple Dives Daily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did 2 weeks on a liveaboard this summer doing 47 dives with a similar outline as you describe and we were fine. However, we dove nitrox, never let our computers get into the yellow (except once, which we cleared into green during our safety stop), and never had more than one beer in the evening (and often not even that). We also took a day off mid-trip where we did no diving, and quite a bit of our diving was less than 60'. We've also been diving for more than three years, planned all of our dives, did good surface intervals, and didn't dive every night giving our bodies more than 12 hours to off-gas on a regular basis.

I haven't read your other posts, though I have to agree that for someone who has done less than 24 dives, you're thinking of a rather aggressive plan for your experience. Then again, who am I to tell you what to do?

Nick - That seems a bit harsh...

Sorry, I'm not trying to be harsh at all. I'm just saying that between asking about night dives and planning four dives a day for 14 days, they may be biting off a bit more than they can chew. I've done it before myself. Sometimes it takes someone else to say "do you really think that's a good idea" for you to realize that maybe it isn't a good idea.

Yes, night dives aren't all that tough and could easily be done safely without taking a course. Yes, 4 dives a day for 14 days is possible and can be done without any problems. All I'm saying is that between the two threads I kind of get the feeling they're trying to cram too much (including some new stuff) into too little time. I'm sure we've all done it, maybe not with diving, but with something.

Notice I'm not saying "don't do it" I'm saying they should go back and re-evaluate their plan and decide if they really think its a good idea.

Besides, isn't it supposed to be a vaction? Four dives in one day? For two weeks? You're going to need a vacation to recover from your vacation! :D

Hi Blackrock,

DCS can hit randomly. There are some factors that are thought to increase the risk of DCS (but the evidence is not conclusive) which include: obesity, dehydration, hard exercise immediately after surfacing, pulmonary disease. There also seem to be some individual risk factors that really haven't been identified. This is why you could have two divers doing the exact same dive where one might get DCS and one might not.

I have gone on several dive trips where I dive many dives during the day for a week or so. When I dive I don't push my decompression limits, don't feel that I have to go deep on all dives, I stay well hydrated, have nice slow ascents with plenty of time to off gas between my deepest depth and the surface, and surface intervals of no less than one hour (often more). These are choices that I make when I dive and I have not had any problems. I do know of one person that experienced DCS that had a perfectly acceptable dive profile (did nothing wrong) but she still was bent.

You need to decide what is right for you. Whether you dive one dive per day or 4 dives per day you should invest in dive insurance from Diver's Alert Network.

Have a great vacation!!

Blackrock,

You are asking a good question and as Ann Marie and others pointed out there is a little bit of black magic in the answer. The value of slow ascents cannot be over emphasised.

Looking at your profile (assuming it is current) your diving has been sparse over the last 2 years which means that you are not terribly in tune with the rigors of slinging gear, getting in and out of the water and are probably not yet all that relaxed as a diver. All of therse are additional stress and fatigue factors.

Also from your profile I see you are going to Bonaire. I have been there and 4 dives a day are very doable and occasionaly even more are done by some. Bonaire is pretty easy diving but some of the shore entries can still be balancing acts and having some surf is not out of the question.

As you mention you need to rake care of yourself with sleep, food, hydration and no booze. Get up to a good breakfast head out with tanks for 2 dives. Start the day with a deep dive, say the Hilma Hooker. Follow that up after your SI with something modest on a double reef a few sites away. Come back to the resort for a leisurely lunch and fresh tanks. Head out for a PM dive and maybe make number 4 as a night dive on the resort reef. Somedays do 2 afternoon dves and enjoy a restful meal out in town. Diving in Bonaire is much easier than your local diving but you can't ignore the effects of nitrogen and immersion.

To make this work you will want to be nitrox certified and dive nitrox throughout the trip on a nitrox capable dive computer. This will let you avoid some nitrogen and leverage the multilevel aspects of your dives.

Do not short sheet yourself on exposure protection. Heat energy loss will be cumulative from day to day. If you fall to far behind you may not be chilled but will become lethargic and defer dives due to fatigue. A good 3mm suit an a beanie are appropriate for an extended stay.

For such an extended visit I'd plan on more than just 1 day off mid trip. I would wait to see what happens. You could loose some dives to a flat tire, feeling ill, gear issues or a host of other problems. If life deals you some unplanned surface time make it restful and move on from there.

Above all listen to the voice and do not over extend yourself.

Pete

In case you feel like some 'light' reading on the topic:

Lang, M.A. and R.D. Vann (eds.). 1991. Proceedings of the AAUS Repetitive Diving Workshop. Duke University, NC. 339 p.
RRR ID: 4243

AAUS Workshop Executive Summary (NOTE: this was written in 1991 so some recommendations have changed):

Although diving is a relatively safe activity, all persons who dive must be aware that there is an inherent risk to this activity. Currently, the risk of decompression illness in the United States is estimated at 1-2 incidents per 1,000-2,000 dives for the commercial diving sector, 2 incidents per 10,000 dives for recreational diving activities and 1 incident in 100,000 dives for the scientific diving community.

Recreational Diving -Peter B. Bennett, Moderator
1. Scientific diving programs provide continuous training, recertification and dive site supervision, which helps maintain established safe diving protocols. Recreational divers, who may lack such direct supervision, need to be aware of their need to stay within established protocols, especially when making repetitive dives over multiple days, in which the risk of DCS may be higher.
2. It is recommended that attention of divers be directed with emphasis on the ancillary factors to decompression risk such as fitness to dive, adequate rest, hydration, body weight, age and especially rate of ascent which should not be more than 60 feet per minute.
3. Divers are encouraged to learn and remember the signs and symptoms of decompression illness and report them promptly so as to receive effective treatment as rapidly as possible to prevent residual injury.
4. The use of oxygen breathing on the surface, whenever possible via a demand regulator mask system, to insure the highest percentage of oxygen to the patient, is recommended while awaiting treatment if decompression illness is thought to be present. The use of 100% oxygen in the water while awaiting treatment is not recommended for recreational diving.
5. There is a strong need for more controlled data on the relationship of decompression illness to multi-level, multi-day diving, especially with the provision of baseline data. Such a study could be made from information gathered from closed groups such as certain island areas and liveaboard fleets where heavy recreational diving activities occur.
6. To help obtain information, dive computer manufacturers are encouraged to provide data loggers to computers so that a permanent record is available of dive depth, dive time, rate of ascent, etc. as close as every minute. This should be coupled with detailed accident reporting forms (e.g. DAN form) in the case of an accident.

Scientific Diving -Glen H. Egstrom, Moderator
1. The position of recommending slower ascent rates seems to have gained support.
2. Increasing knowledge regarding the incidence of DCS indicates that our ability to predict the onset of DCS on multi-level, multi-day diving is even less sensitive than than our ability to predict DCS on single square dives.
3. Although there is little evidence supporting either a pro or con position on multi-level, multi-day dives and a higher probability of DCS, there is sufficient evidence to encourage additional research on the problem.
4. There appears to be good evidence that there are many variables which can affect the probability of the occurrence of DCS symptoms. The ability to mitigate these variables through education, good supervision and training appears to be possible in such variables as hydration, fitness, rate of ascent, fatigue et al. and should continue to be promoted. Divers are subject to a host of specific conditions which may increase risk if precautions are not taken.
5. There appears to be support for the use of enriched air nitrox and surface oxygen breathing in scientific diving where higher gas loadings are anticipated in multi-level, multi-day dives. Adequate technical support is fundamental.
6. Since there seems to be little likelihood that we can avoid all decompression illness in multi-level, multi-day diving, we should focus educational objectives on:
a. the development of an appreciation for the realities of risk for DCS;
b. encouraging maximal prevention strategies; and c. define, as clearly as possible, the conditions under which problems are known to occur.
6. There are techniques used in commercial diving applications which may be appropriate for some scientific diving applications which require unusual exposures.
7. The incidence of DCS in scientific diving appears to be about 1:100,000, in recreational diving at about 2:10,000 and in commercial diving at about 1:1,000-2,000. These levels are not unreasonable.

Commercial Diving. -Gary L. Beyerstein, Moderator
The following comments represent a consensus of the ADC members represented at this workshop.
1. Repetitive diving, multi-level and multi-day diving modes are considered normal, routine and essential practices in the commercial diving industry. They are performed safely and efficiently.
2. The use of surface decompression using oxygen is also essential to the safe and efficient conduct of commercial diving operations. Alternate methods to date have shown increased risk to the diver and have not reduced the incidence of DCS.
3. The quality of decompression (i.e. the effectiveness of the decompression table in controlling decompression stress) is much more important than the mode used when considering DCS risk.
4. A zero bends incidence rate is desirable but not thought to be achievable in all types of commercial diving. Given the commercial situation, with the ability to treat immediately and effectively, an incidence rate of 1 type I case of DCS per 1,000 to 2,000 dives is considered currently tolerable.
5. Current commercial practices and tables were developed from need and have been modified for safety. We feel they are currently tolerable. We look forward to a new generation of safer tables that will also increase our operational efficiency. Such tables will have longer bottom times at deeper depths without higher levels of risk. Such tables will need field validation. This will be greatly assisted by advanced dive profilers, field Doppler units, and an industry data base. We look forward to industry standard tables and therapy procedures.

Dive Computers. -John E. Lewis, Moderator
1. No data were presented that warrant revision of the recommendations of the 1988 AAUS Dive Computer Workshop.
2. Data presented indicate that limiting dives to the no-stop (No-D) range, plus training and experience adds up to a one hundred fold decrease in the incidence of DCS.
3. Multi-level diving is a commonly accepted practice, and it appears to be less stressful than square wave profile diving.
4. Repetitive NoD (no-stop) diving with dive computers within the tested envelope is a valid practice. Deep repetitive dives with short surface intervals should be given special consideration.
5. No data were presented that indicate multi-day diving requires any special rules.
6. To assist in the analysis of decompression illness, dive computer manufacturers should consider working with the Divers Alert Network to provide an indication of inert gas loading by profile recovery, group letter, or other simple technique.

Dive Recorders. -Karl E. Huggins, Moderator
1. Because of limited analysis of the existing profile database, no conclusions have been reached regarding repetitive diving limits.
2. Paper databases are too cumbersome, it is considered essential that future profile recorders have the ability to download dive profile information directly to personal computer (through standard I/O ports).
3. The following desirable dive recorder features were identified: a. ascent/descent rate record; b. long storage capacity (commercial diver suggested one month); c. for data points collected in large time intervals (i.e. 2.5-3 minutes), the average depth during the interval as well as the maximum depth attained during the interval should be recorded; d. depth resolution should be at least 0.3 msw (1 fsw); e. "low" tech recorder (inexpensive, requiring daily dumps); f. date/time stamps on each dive; and g. diver/recorder identification.
4. Possible dive recorder enhancements: a. two-way communication with personal computer (i.e. allows adjustment in sampling rate, initialization of program variables, setting of recorders' internal clock, etc.); and b. data compression techniques (i.e. store rate of depth change instead of depth) for both the recorder and final computer storage.
5. A standardization of information and file formats would be advantageous, with PENNDEC or CANDID databases as possible starting points.
6. There is a need to obtain a list, from end users, of the minimal "header" information required. Suggested were: a. DAN incident form information; and b. time of incident to time of resolution.

Physiology, Medicine and Environment. -Richard D. Vann, Moderator
1. Investigate the arterialization of gas emboli (VGE) as a potential mechanism for spinal and cerebral DCS.
2. Investigate the ability of reduced ascent rate and short decompression stops to reduce the incidence of VGE.
3. Dose-response curves for direct decompression are of fundamental importance to the development of decompression procedures.
4. Classification of decompression illness should be by specific signs/symptoms to guide therapy and prognosis and provide improved data for analysis.
5. There is a potential risk of bone necrosis for long shallow dives followed by inadequate decompression.
6. Multiple decompressions per day for multiple days can be potentially hazardous. The number of dives per day and the number of consecutive days during which diving can be conducted with reasonable safety is uncertain at present and depends upon the decompression procedures that are used.

Data Analysis and Procedure Calculation. -R.W. Hamilton, Moderator
1. Maximum likelihood and other statistical techniques are useful for evaluation and assessment of new procedures based on past experience.
2. Predictive models are sensitive to the data set used to determine the parameter estimates of the model.
3. Field data can be useful and data exchange should be encouraged.

Decompression Trials. -Ronald Y. Nishi, Moderator
1. After all these years, we still do not know much about DCS. None of the table or dive computer developers really have decompression "models". What they actually have are decompression calculation methods as stated by Brian Hills in his book "Decompression Sickness".
2. There are two primary methods for developing decompression tables and designing decompression trials. The first is the traditional approach, where tables are developed from some model and selected profiles are dived to test whether or not DCS occurs. A variation on this approach is to include risk analysis. Dives are tested, either by following printed tables or by following dive computers. It is necessary to use other tools such as Doppler and complement analysis to determine decompression stress.
3. The second approach to designing trials is the probabilistic method. In this case, a large amount of carefully documented (well-calibrated) dive data is required to estimate the risk of DCS, compute optimum profiles and test with appropriate criteria for rejecting or accepting profiles. With the proper design of sequential tests, the total decompression time can be minimized and the number of trials and cases of DCS can also be minimized. The probabilistic method appears to be the way of the future but still needs further development. To make it work, accurate dive data and DCS information are required, which the military, scientific, commercial and recreational diving communities must supply.
4. What does this all mean for the scientific, recreational and commercial diving communities? Although designers and testers of decompression trials may talk about incidences or risks of DCS which are much higher than the different communities are willing to accept, the eventual tables will probably be more effective than those commonly in use now. It must be kept in mind that DCS is a probabilistic event.

I thought AOW was a waste of money, but Nitrox cert might be a good idea!

Not to mention the fatigue factor...Stress in any form increases the risk for a DCS hit...
Plenty of rest and maintaining good hydration is a must. Dehydration is the number one contributing risk factor to getting a DCS hit.

I went to bonaire last summer for 6 days of diving. I did 5 dives every day except for one day with 6 dives and the final day of diving we only did 2. I dove on nitrox for the entire trip but my sister and mother both dove on air. We all got relatively close to no deco a couple times, me even with nitrox. That being said we got plenty of sleep, passed out every night at 10 pm and woke up at 7, so like 9 hours a night. I am used to getting 4 hours a night so that was a ton for me. My mom was sweating it out a little before getting on the plane and even thought she got DCS in her elbow a little. When we got back she went to the chamber and found out that there was just something wrong with her elbow from lifting so many tanks during the week! As far as DCS was concerned we were all fine. The one thing I would recommend about bonaire is make sure you get a good lunch. There were a couple of days where we were trying to squeeze in extra dives and all we had with us was cheese and crackers so that was our lunch. If you want to do a lot of dives in a day maybe buy some bread and cold cuts to bring in the van with you.

If you don't want to do the full AOW down there I would definitely recommend nitrox, that helped me not get so tired every day so I was able to do night dives, which are incredible in bonaire especially.

When I worked on the "Komodo Dancer" we were making 5 dives a day for 12 day trips. Sometimes, we would take turns sitting out a night dive, but for the most part 5 dives a day..and we used Nitrox the entire time. Did'nt have to, but if you want anytype of energy after that 5th dive, you might better think about using Nitrox.:wink: Of course, we were'nt deep diving. As one of two dive instructors/cruise directors aboard, I did have a couple glasses of wine at dinner with the guests. Afterwards, maybe another glass while editting the days footage, then off to bed. I never had an issue of DCS nor did any of our clients. Keep in mind, on this boat, it's open bar...all top shelf brands available...but nobody drank heavily. Very raley did some guest drink alot, and if they did, they didn't dive too much the next day.:14:

Nitrox is a good idea but;

- the lack-of-fatigue factor has not been proved as a benefit of nitrox (though I definitely don't feel as tired when diving nitrox--love it!!)

- if you are diving nitrox with nitrox tables (or a computer set for the mix) it is no safer than air.

- there are some special considerations you'll need to take into account when diving with enriched air vs. regular air.

That being said, I dive enriched air when possible. While on vacation, the places that offer 'unlimited nitrox' are at the top of my list.

Back
Top Bottom