Music while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow Wardric that sounds really cool!

I haven't don't my OW water dives yet so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about but I am anticiapting to LOVE diving and I also LOVE music...why not combine them??! I think it's a great idea, although I DO understand the safety isssues. Surely the people who made these underwater walkmans took this into consideration? If I were to use it, I would be sure to put the voume on "moderate" and be extra careful, but if I were an experienced diver I definitely would give it a try!

I don't think I'd like music under water but I did notice that you can buy a snorkel with a built-in AM FM radio.

( That might be nice for a long surface swim ) nahhhh - just kidding.

I love the peacefulness while diving. To disrupt the underwater world with something that is not from down there, it's not for me.

How about playing sounds of a whale or dolphin? :D Better watch out during mating season!:11:

Rick

On a recent trip, I had been down for an hour plus, assisting on an octocoral survey site and I started to hum some tune. I might have enjoyed the underwater music gadget then, but usually some noise is made and my attention is focused back to, "what was that?!" I can see some pros and cons with a gadget like that and I wouldn't mind trying it in a pool, but me thinks that I wouldn't use it while diving. I enjoy the underwater scenery with its own natural noises.

DI_Guy:
I don't think I'd like music under water but I did notice that you can buy a snorkel with a built-in AM FM radio.

( That might be nice for a long surface swim ) nahhhh - just kidding.

My mum has one of these and uses it for lap swimming.

I love music, but I would hate to actually dive with that kind of noise.

Man last year in the Keys they had live tunes Blasting in the water! at John Penakamp park,cool!
Seen deep divers on Deco hangs with UW Mp3 players,good way to hang 30-40-50 min!
Dive safe,get them tunes!

Like I said, I wouldn't like to hear music often, once a year is good. What I meant is that it can be a particular and interesting diving experience (like any other experience) especially at a site you've done many times, a quarry for instance. The music I heard came from speakers so everyone could hear it. But as for walkmans, I wouldn't want to use 'em. I dive to get out of this world, forget any land problems and stresses so I dont want to bring them under. But music once a year or once in a lifetime, why not?

For deco stgops they are fine if you like but I don't think they would do for a regular dive because of their depth limit which is very shallow.

I only have my training dives under my belt so far, but for weeks before I took the course, I had visions of diving while listening to songs like John Denver's "Aye, Calypso" and the theme song from "Flipper".
But I didn't know that they actually made an underwater Walkman!

Regards,
V. G. McG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom