Must Get Equipment and Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bazal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Heya,

So I got my SCUBA diver in Jamaica in June 1-2, 2015 and then completed my Open Water in October 24-25, 2015 (Ohio Quarry – fresh water).

I enjoyed my Jamaica dives a lot, but not my Ohio ones as much – factors could include it's harder to dive in fresh water, it was freezing, the visibility wasn't great, OMG the equipment weighed a ton – I hated the 7 mm wetsuit feel, the thick gloves that I couldn't feel through etc etc. I know this may upset some divers – I do believe once I gain more experience I will try diving in colder climates….

For now, I would like to continue my dive adventure. I plan on joining our local dive shop to a trip to Bonaire in March – which I am nervous about (I feel like I will just be a nuisance to all there especially with my "fantastic" buoyancy ability). I also plan on doing my advanced open water there.

Apparently I am feeling very chatty – I could have said I AM NEW to diving! Anyway point of this post is… I need my own equipment and I need some help/advice. I plan on doing my dives in salt water and warmer/mild climates for NOW (until I become a more confident diver).

So – since I am going to do an advanced open water dive – "night dive" equipment are needed.

Can someone briefly tell me what equipment are a must get now and what can wait until a little later. Scuba has a ton of equipment and I am aware that the more I dive, the more I will include into my Scuba kit. Too much equipment for a newbie can be challenging. I know I can ask the local diver shop – but I would rather not because of 2 reasons.
1- I don't want to sound stupid + want to have at least an idea of what I need instead of just walk in there blindly/cluelessly (and I may want to look into brands/specs too).
2- I want to check the prices online prior to going there to make sure they are reasonable.

On another note – any website recommendations on where to purchase scuba equipment – may consider buying non-fitting items online if cheaper like a flashlight/dive computer etc. I am aware of diver-supply and leisurepro. I know I should be supporting my local dive shop; however, scuba equipment can be pricey and I am kinda strapped on cash. My budget so far is around $2500+/- which I know is NOT enough.

The only item I KNOW I want is a Scubapro Ladyhawk BCD – which costs a pretty penny. I am aware that a good regulator is important too – but I have no idea how to access that.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

PS. Sorry for the long post or if it offens anyone

hah, $2500 is MORE than enough! Also, ditch the ladyhawk, expensive piece of junk....

Fresh water is no more difficult to dive in than salt water, just different conditions.

For night diving, must have equipment
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=rigs
$500, BCD, worth every penny. Call Tobin to figure out your specific needs, but if you are doing any local diving, it will likely be a SS Backplate with a LCD30 wing.

Fins-you probably have them, but these are probably better, $115
Cave Adventurers - Dive Rite XT Fins - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Regs- $700. Don't need the extra first stage, but since it is usually the one that fails, rather than having to worry about fixing it, just carry a spare. These can be DIY service
Cave Adventurers - Dive Rite XT Regulator Backmount Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Computer-$1000. It's a watch, it has NFC, and is super nice. If you can wait another month or two, a company called Deep6 will be out and they have a brilliant computer coming for $140 and will also have reg packages and lights.
Cave Adventurers - Sub gravity H3 (seabear) Dive Computer - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Lights-no need for anything bigger than these. I'd recommend one in spot and one in video if you have a gopro, $200. They are very bright, have 3 brightness settings with a color indicator for battery status, and use 18650 rechargeable batteries. Dive Gear Express has some that are cheaper, but I prefer the switch and feel of these. To each his own, personal preference.
Cave Adventurers - Explorer back-up lights - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Wetsuit: you can either rent or figure out a suit on your own. I like these, since they're super warm, but not very useful for your local diving where you're far better off in a drysuit. $300
http://www.caveadventurers.com/pinnacle-merino-elastiprene-3mm-wetsuit.html

$2500 without the wetsuit for top end gear and that's with a $1k computer and new fins. Swap the computer out for a cheaper one, and don't replace you're fins and you are well under budget. Nothing really good on craigslist in your area right now, but don't be afraid to buy used. You can get full reg sets for ~$400-$500, computers on here for well under $500 for nice computers. This is the biggest thing though. Look at your END goal for diving and purchase gear for that. Don't buy what you are used to now and settle on inferior gear. Look at the end and work backwards.

hah, $2500 is MORE than enough

I can think of ways to blow through $2500 in a heartbeat. Realistically, there is no need for the super high end gear, as most of it is branding.

You are right though, for $2500 you can buy a kick ass recreational dive kit that will never have to be replaced. Especially if you go with a cheap computer that does everything you need it to without all the useless bells and whistles. BP/W, regs, lights, suit, tank, mask, fins....hell I bet you could even get a speargun on that budget.

Here's my 2 PSI on the matter. Please realize that there are as many opinions out there as there are divers, so read carefully and take out of it what works for you.

Find a local dive shop you like (maybe the one you plan to travel with?) and sit down with the owner if possible. Tell him (or her, not trying to be sexist :)) your goals with regards to diving and certifications. Then talk to him about what they recommend for a full set of gear. Have them put it in writing or an e-mail. Then research the gear online, on scubaboard, and see if it fits your wants and needs. Don't commit to anything just yet.

Most new divers do not need a $1000.00 computer. It is overkill. There are plenty of good computers in the $300.00 range or so. Make sure it is easily readable, preferably has a user replaceable battery, and the ability to download your dives to your computer. It would be great if the computer came with the cable or utilizes Bluetooth.

The main reason I think you are best to buy local is support. When you buy from your LDS, they will assemble your regulators and set them up properly (crack pressure, IP, etc.), they will help you set up your BC with all the little extras that you need (octo holders, etc.) and they will make sure everything works well and is safe. They also likely know what the online pricing is, and will probably be pretty close on a package deal. Also realize that you will need your LDS for future service & repairs, so start your relationship early and it will likely pay off in the future!

As far as your future Bonaire trip, don't worry. Practice your buoyancy as much as possible before you go, but you're going to a great place to master skills. With that in mind, make sure you get boots with a hard sole. You WILL need them on Bonaire. Lots of us use Seasoft Sunray boots for Bonaire shore diving.

You can't go wrong if you find a good local shop and an instructor you learn well from. A good shop knows the value of a long-term customer. Do your research and above all....have fun!!

For gear, look at Scubatoys for a selection.

Heya,

Thank you for the reply!

I currently own - all bought in Canadian (checked online prices are similiar after conversion - but the mask costed more):
-Scubapro Seawing Nova Pink Fins (LOVE the color) - bought it for $230
https://www.google.com/search?safe=...3.4.0....0...1c.1.64.img..4.1.100.rfUM_0jF-zA

-Telos Dive Boots with a hard sole - not sure how much mm it is - bought for $79

-Cressi Crystal Mask- bought for $139
Cressi Big Eyes Evolution Crystal Mask

-Telos dry snorkle

When I spoke with the shop owner over the phone he suggested that top gear costs about $3500, medium quality $2500 and lower quality is $1500 - so I am a bit worried. I was thinking of getting the Scubapro Lady Hawk and the Cressi Leonardo Dive Computer - but now I am starting to re-consider. I do like the idea of writing down what is recommended and researching it.

Every time someone posts here on SB asking about gear choices, someone almost immediately suggests a BP/W as the only option. Except it's not. Reviewing any website (except Cave Adventurer's as linked above) should make that simply obvious. Plus $1000 for a computer? Not me... No sense in paying for features you'll probably never use. The other suggested option - Deep 6 - is a much better choice. Or the Cressi you like which has some history behind it - and is available today.

I take a different approach - try to point out the pluses/minuses of what the poster thinks they want - not tell them what they do.

There's nothing wrong with the Ladyhawk - except maybe the price :D - it's Scubapro's womens version of the Knighthawk - one of their best back-inflate models ever sold. It's a little big and a little heavier than a travel-only BC but it will also function in cold water where you will need more lift to compensate for weight required with a 7MM suit - or drysuit possibly in the future since they're even warmer. So my suggestion is if you like it - BUY it.

Assuming your dealer is a Scubapro shop - they also have some pretty good mid-range regs. for around $600 - either the Mk17/G260 or Mk21/G260. Either is designed for warm or cold use - the difference primarily is one is a diaphragm, the other a piston. Diaprhragm models inherently work better in extreme cold conditions since they isolate the components affected by it, pistons can and often do deliver more air but any modern reg. also delivers more air than you can ever use. Both models are fully balanced as well and have low-temperature features included. You can also save $50 on the Mk21/S560 - I do not know the difference in the 2nd stages to evaluate that - ask your dealer. You'll still be using either 25 years from now also.

Personally I'd add an inexpensive octo - based on needing mine once in 30+ years of diving. Stay in the line so both can be serviced together. The least expensive is the R095 at $150. Others will suggest getting a better octo since you may be the one using it so their best is the S360 at $245 - the advantage it has is being balanced also so during an emergency it might be less stressful.

Since you like the Cressi Leonardo - buy it. They work and there's nothing wrong with them. I'd personally get the wrist model at $250 and add a set of small gauges as a backup. You need a pressure gauge anyway since it's not air-integrated and adding a 2nd depth gauge means you have full back-up should the computer fail. Having the computer on your wrist makes it easier during ascents/safety stops etc.

So doing the math

$640 - Ladyhawk
$600 - Regulator
$150/$250 - Octo
$250 - Leonardo
$200 - 2 Gauge combo - most are less.

I'm at $1840 - $1940 with the better Octo. A good travel bag can be had for $60. Personally I just buy a big rolling duffel - I'm not a fan of advertising that there's dive gear in my bag. My current bag I paid $50 for - it has one large outside pocket that my fins fit into with some effort and everything else I take on trips goes in it - all my gear, clothes etc. I carry-on my regs/mask/computer. I travel all over the Caribbean that way.

With $600 left over you can get a decent semi-fitted wetsuit later if you do start cold water diving. Or 1/3rd of a good drysuit.

If you have the Tilos Glideskin boots - I used their lower priced model on Bonaire successfully. You need something with some grip and some stiffness so your ankle doesn't have to flex as much while scrambling over the ironshore/coral rubble.

One last thing I'd add is that your local Scubapro dealer and Leisurepro will have the same prices on everything since both are authorized dealers so bound by the same agreement. The only thing LP is cheaper than most others is their house brand and Aqualung/Suunto since they're not dealers and offer their equivalent warranty.

they aren't the only option, they just make more sense. I only mentioned the $1k computer because I wanted to show how you could spend $2500 and get truly top of the line equipment that you'll never have to replace.

Ladyhawk at $640. It's big, heavy, has no resale value, isn't able to move into other diving configurations, floats so requires more lead, and is only adjustable to certain sizes so you have to get the right size and not change your body composition etc etc. At $500 you can get a DSS rig that is much higher quality, versatile, holds incredible resale value and will for years, and is overall a better piece of equipment. Alternatively the DRiS Trianta rig will go on sale later this week around $300 and is a killer deal.

$1000-regulator/octo/gauges. The combos suggested are fine, and unbalanced regs are perfectly fine, it's the first stages that matter. $700 you can get an equally high quality doubles set with matching second stages, extra first stage, and is user serviceable though with a lifetime warranty, so that's a much better buy. No need for a gauge cluster with a computer, and the DR kit comes with an SPG. So you save $300 on that for an equally high quality regulator that is more versatile with the turrets on the bottom, reversible second stages, matching second stages, etc etc. Buy used regs if you can, they're just blocks of metal and plastic, they don't really go bad. The Deep6 regs are pretty sexy as well and should be cheaper than the Dive Rite regs. Only issue there is you will have to learn to service them yourself as there won't be international dealers. It's a pro for most of us, as servicing regulators is very simple and does not require many special tools. The tools pay for themselves in the first service.

$250-Leonardo, waste of money. $140 for the Deep6 will be a MUCH better computer, wait for that. If you have to have one before Chris releases it, the Hollis DG03 is also much better than the Leonardo and is the same price at $250. Also has the option for AI if you so choose, but bumps the price w/ transmitter to $500.

Hi Bazal and welcome to diving and SB!

You are going to get lots of conflicting advice and at the end you have got to decide what is right for you. Letting us know your preferences such as the Lady Hawk will help us tailor our recommends a little more.

As to the Lady Hawk. I don't own one but started out in a back inflate BCD and they are all functional. To me, the most important aspect right now is that you feel comfortable in it. If its an option, try it on first. One thing I will warn you is that it is going to be heavy for travel but as others pointed out you should be able to use it for local as well as travel diving.

The Leonard is a great entry level computer. It does everything you need as a new diver. The only caveat I might add is that it is a one button design, making adjustments a little more cumbersome, and it is considered more conservative then some other computers such as the Oceanics.

As to regulators, do you have any ideas yet. I would suggest that you look at sets that can be serviced at your local LDS. Typically this means the brands they sell. You can mail regs for service but I prefer talking to the service technician eye to eye.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom