Must Get Equipment and Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stuart listed great stuff from excellent outfits. DGX lights are on my xmas selfie list.

I personally still think a 1k computer is way overkill for novice diver going to Bonaire. Very few people go, as apparently Stuart did, from rookie to tec diver in one year - as far as I can tell.
You can always use basic 175$ puck as back up or bottom timer should you go that far that fast.

I have mixed emotions about contributing suggestions to your gear quest. On one hand, I ‘feel your pain’ regarding the overwhelming diversity of options. It can be very confusing and I, as many others have already indicated, would like to offer assistance which might help you sort through the options. The only price you have to pay would be to listen to / read my admittedly biased (toward what I personally prefer) recommendations. For example, I personally prefer metal backplates, with a simple harness, for their very favorable buoyancy (they are negatively buoyant, so I don’t have to strap on extra lead just to compensate for a floaty BCD) and trim (they put the weight adjacent to my physiologic center of lift – my thorax / lungs, instead of near my waist, which would drag my feet down) characteristics. But that is me. I personally prefer Apeks regs (because I could get them serviced, if necessary, just about anywhere I might travel), with a certain hose configuration. But, that is just me. Frankly, I really think it is too early to inundate you with a lot of information like that. It won't yet have a lot of meaning.

On the other hand, my stronger sense is that you should slow down, and defer gear purchases, certainly the bigger ones (BCD, computer, regulator), until at least AFTER your Bonaire trip. Several observations underlie that sense. You are a newer diver. You are, by your own admission almost overwhelmed by the volume of information you are receiving. You really don’t have a good experience base, yet. Many new divers end up buying gear 2, or even 3, times because they tend to make purchasing decisions before they have an adequate experience base upon which to base gear selection decisions. That, in itself, is not altogether bad. But, you can easily spend (dare I say ‘waste&#8217:wink: a considerable amount of money on gear that you later find is not as appealing as you once thought. You mention having $2500 available. Honestly, that is A LOT of money. Don't part with all of it, just yet.

You are going through what a lot of newer divers experience. One comment that caught my eye was your description of trying on the shop owner’s Ladyhawk.
Bazal:
. . . then the shop owner let me try her used small size Lady Hawk - felt great!
That is a beguiling experience. You put something on, in the shop, out of the water, and it feels SO-O-O good. It feels like you are slipping into a comfortable, custom-made jacket. And, you buy it. But, how a BCD feels on the retail floor may have little or nothing to do with how it feels, or performs, in the water.

So, what should you buy, now? 1. Buy a wetsuit that fits you well. That actually is one ‘fit’ that has some meaning on the retail floor. For Bonaire, a 3mm will probably work well. I know divers who wear a ‘skin’ while diving the 82 degree Bonaire waters, on those warm sunny days, and I know some women who dive full 5mm suits under the same conditions. The majority can do well with a 3mm (I use a 1mm, but I am OK in a 3mm). Get some full 3mm boots that fit you well. Now, you won’t be using that 3mm wetsuit in the cold lake waters where you live. But, you have already said that diving was not particularly enjoyable anyway, at least not yet. Wait to dive there until you can think about a drysuit for exposure protection, and instead plan periodic trips to warmer Caribbean waters for enjoyable diving. 2. If you don't have them already (and you probably do) get a good pair of neutrally buoyant fins. You don’t need to spend a huge amount of money on fins either. For ~15 years I have worn Mares Quattros as my primary recreational fin, and have been happy with their power, light weight, and overall comfort. But, do invest some more money (~$50) in stainless steel spring straps for whatever fins you buy, or already own.

3. As far as lights go, keep in mind that you are NOT trying to turn the nighttime water into daylight. I often dive at night on Bonaire with a simple 250 lumen Big Blue Light as my primary, or even a 230 lumen Intova flashlight-style light as my primary, and I can see everything I want to see. In fact, what annoys me at times on Bonaire are divers with enormous beam, intensely bright, lights swimming along and blinding everything, and everyone (myself included at times) with their overpowering lights. You can buy flashlight-style primary and back-up lights – get two lights that are essentially the same size – for $150 each or less - and they will work just fine for your Bonaire trip. The cylinder light is a trivial expense ($15-20). You can buy a neoprene glove, for ~$20, that allows you to wear the primary light on the back of your hand. Yes, Solas are very nice. And, they are a little more pricey. And, if you want to spend $350-400 on a light, that’s fine. But, you really don’t need a 1200 lumen light for enjoyable night diving on Bonaire. I have a canister light that I love, for diving in deep, dark, cold water. I really don't need it on Bonaire.

For the ‘big ticket’ gear, think about renting on your Bonaire trip. Find out where the shop trip will be based on Bonaire – i.e. what resort. Get in touch with the resort in advance and arrange to rent gear – BCD and regs, even a computer - while you are there. I go to the Buddy Dive resort on Bonaire for a week each year and I am increasingly impressed by the gear they have available for rental. I take my own, but I see that they are expanding / modernizing their rental ‘fleet’. I presume other resorts are doing the same. Spend your time on Bonaire learning to dive. Your OW certification was merely a ‘learner’s permit’, which allows you to begin to learn how to dive, by diving. Work on your 'fantastic' buoyancy (since you specifically mentioned that) by diving on the beautiful, easily accessible reef sites. When you come back, think more about buying the more expensive gear. You may well have some new ideas on what you want.

Let's see:
$116 - DGX Lights plus batteries and chargers
$160 - 3/2 mm wetsuit
$400 - Hollis reg set
$300 - DGX back plate and wing
$145 - DR XT fins
$900 - Oceanic Atom 3.1 computer with wireless AI transmitter (your pressure gauge, so you don't need to buy a physical SPG) and data cable

$2021 (more or less) and you would be ready to dive (assuming you already have a mask)
Ditto except:
UK SL4 eLED; $60.00
Mares Pro Puck: $175.00
Mares Quattro: $80.00
SPG: $60.00

Grand total of $1,235.00

slow down, and defer gear purchases, certainly the bigger ones (BCD, computer, regulator), until at least AFTER your Bonaire trip

A week (?) on Bonaire is exactly the kind of diving where you want to have a computer. It'll cost you around $70 to rent on site or you could buy a veo 180 or mares puck for $150. That's double the money but you get to keep the computer. You can later use it as a backup depth gauge/bottom timer (and buy a reg set with slim SPG instead of the console -- that'll probably save you a chunk of the other $70). But other than that: +1. Don't buy BC and regs, spend the money on dives instead.

What you'll really need on Bonaire is well-fitting booties and someone to hold on to while you waltz in and out of the water.

Ditto except:
UK SL4 eLED; $60.00

Just to note, the $116 I quoted for was TWO lights that each come with a battery and a charger PLUS a Tenergy 2-battery charger and 2 additional batteries. If you just want one light and no extra batteries, then a DGX 600 for $50 (including a charger and a battery) is the way I would (did) go. My DGX 600 lights will actually last through all of 2 consecutive night dives on one battery (for me, on an AL80, in water that's 50+ feet deep).

Also, I got a fancy intelligent charger that will do a discharge test and tell you how much capacity your batteries really have. The DGX batteries and the Tenergy batteries all tested out around their rated capacity (somewhere around 2600 mAh, IIRC).

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2015 at 02:35 PM ----------

Ditto except:
Mares Pro Puck: $175.00

Also, I see this Pro Puck recommended often. I have never used one, so I have no experience.

But, I do know that I have seen a lot of posts on SB from people who recommend to never buy a computer with only one button (which is what the Pro Puck has) because it makes the UI much harder to use than a 2 (or more) button computer.

This always leaves me wondering how many people that recommend this computer actually currently use one as their main computer for recreational dives. It seems like the recommendation is often accompanied by a statement like "it will be good as a backup later." Why recommend a computer that you know won't be a great primary computer (for Rec diving) later, when you're more experienced? What about the philosophy "by your second computer first"?

I mentioned the Atom 3.0 earlier because it is what I use and I am still very happy with it as my main computer for Rec diving after 1 year and 60-something dives. I have a Petrel 2, also, but I only bought the Petrel because I started Adv Nitrox + Deco Procedures training and needed a Tech-oriented computer.

I think if I were looking at going with one of those "puck" sized computers (like the Pro Puck, Hollis DG03, Oceanic VT 4.1, or etc) I would rather just get a console computer. At which point, it would probably be an air integrated console with a compass, like an Oceanic Pro Plus model. I hate big, bulky things on my arms. If it's going to be big and bulky, I'd rather have air integration and clip it off to my waist belt or across my chest to a shoulder strap D-ring.

Like this one for $390:

Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1 Air Integrated Computer with Compass 04.1061.07

Not much more than buying a Mares Puck, an SPG, and a compass, and you get what looks like a much nicer, easier to read and use, computer. Disclaimer: I have no dive experience with the Pro Plus, either. I have only looked at them in the store. Thus why I said it "looks like" it would be nicer and easier to use than a Mares Pro Puck. Hopefully, someone with real world experience with both can chime in to give the OP more useful info.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2015 at 02:39 PM ----------

Oh, and if you REALLY want a 1-button computer, the Oceanic Veo 180 is on sale today until noon (eastern time) tomorrow at LP for $150.

Oceanic Veo 180 Air/Nitrox Wrist Dive Computer

+1 for SOME sort of computer. A puck is an economical way to go. OTOH, my first piece of personal equipment was a Sherwood AmphosAir computer, which appears to be identical to the Oceanic. No regrets, but it is a good chunk of change (I got a decent deal last year - $700, including the transmitter).

BTW, your mistake was to make your first dives in Jamaica, then finishing the class in Ohio (and not vice versa). You were spoiled from the start. It's like the difference between a sudden cold snap in October and the first sunny day in March after a long cold winter. The temperature may be the same, but you feel like you need a jacket in October, yet run around in shorts and tee-shirt in March. :wink:

A week (?) on Bonaire is exactly the kind of diving where you want to have a computer. It'll cost you around $70 to rent on site or you could buy a veo 180 or mares puck for $150. That's double the money but you get to keep the computer.
Not an unreasonable alternative. What i would encourage the OP to NOT DO is spend $500 or more on a computer, now. Another option, which has already been mentioned, is to wait for the Deep Six unit to come out. If it really is EVERYTHING it is rumored to be, and it relly is ONLY $140, then I would agree - buy one, and don't bother renting.
What you'll really need on Bonaire is well-fitting booties and someone to hold on to while you waltz in and out of the water.
YES! The boots can be as important as almost anything else on the island. :)

Oh, and if you REALLY want a 1-button computer, the Oceanic Veo 180 is on sale today until noon (eastern time) tomorrow at LP for $150.

It has no uplink so it's not quite so useful as a logger. The puck's uplink kit, OTOH, is on special @LP. Also, while they list the puck "out of stock" on their site, it's still at "only 18 left" on their amazon shopfront -- for the same $150 as the veo.

As for one button, I'm sure it can get annoying if you have to use it a lot. Like, change O2% for every tank. Especially if you're going lower every time. I just dive air, all I ever do is change the clock to local time, once per dive trip.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2015 at 06:00 PM ----------

Why recommend a computer that you know won't be a great primary computer (for Rec diving) later, when you're more experienced? What about the philosophy "by your second computer first"?

Because it's not what the recommendation is. The recommendation is spend the money on dives instead so you'll get a better idea what you actually need. You may have gone to all the way tech in one year, but most people take longer. If ever. Even though dive computers are not like cellphones, you'll still have better options for less money in 2 or 3 years when you actually need the upgrade.

I'm diving with my first computer and am not upgrading it until after I buy the regs. Which I'm also not in a great hurry to buy. Then I'll consider going AI which hopefully OSTC sport has by then.

Also, I see this Pro Puck recommended often. I have never used one, so I have no experience.

But, I do know that I have seen a lot of posts on SB from people who recommend to never buy a computer with only one button (which is what the Pro Puck has) because it makes the UI much harder to use than a 2 (or more) button computer.

This always leaves me wondering how many people that recommend this computer actually currently use one as their main computer for recreational dives. It seems like the recommendation is often accompanied by a statement like "it will be good as a backup later." Why recommend a computer that you know won't be a great primary computer (for Rec diving) later, when you're more experienced? What about the philosophy "by your second computer first"?

I am one that says the Mares Puck is a good computer. I have 6 members of my family using them and everyone finds them easy to use. This "one button" vs "multi button" discussions generally does not consider the UI design both options could be good or bad. As I have stated before I help run club trips and our club rents Suunto Zoop computers. I have not seen one diver that has found this multi-button Zoop computer to be intuitive. A number of our regular divers have Puck and Puck Pro and I have not found anyone not find this easy to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom