Mustaches, Beards & Face Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had full beards, goatees, over the years and never had a 'leaky' face mask. Of course the occasional water will get into the viewing area, but we all were taught how to clear that. I'm guessing that your mask continuously fills up even though you clear it multiple times. If that is the case I'd suggest you look for a new mask. Get a mask with a pliable skirt, and a wide skirt too. Make sure the strap is tight enough to pull the mask into your flesh. When done with diving you should have a ring around your face where the mask use to be. If not you probably have it too loose (hence leaking).
Here is another thought, trade masks with your dive buddy for a dive. See if he has the same problem with the mask as you do. Conversely, if the borrowed mask doesn't leak then its proof positive the problem is with the mask and not the beard. A poorly fitting masks will ruin a good dive.

Good luck sorting this out!

Snot and spit are essential tools in the profession:wink:

The last dry suit I was in was a Yokohama Dry Dress in 1974. I suppose that dosen't count these days?

I've gone through numerous and often halarious beard cuts trying to get an oral-nasal to seal but then just blow more air which is ok for a hooka rig. SCUBA is a different cat! I have a full beard because I grow hair fast e.g. 11AM shadow well these days it's 11:AM snow

Excellent! I'll take a peek at the SeaVision Ultra. Hope I can find one. This isn't a garage sale ploy is it?

Thanks for the tip

Humm? Photo looks like a Kirby 18 on surface air. . . .Nice hat. You Commercial?

I'd have to be a major stock holder in Chapstick to goop up my lip to get a reasonable seal on a face mask. But you've given me a design idea, I should have thought of years ago. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom